The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Are you saying the timing play signal is given for that purpose as well? Or are you saying there is another signal that is sometimes given to inform partners of this situation?

Either way, I cannot ever remember anyone telling me in a class, clinic, or critique that a signal exists to do this.
I've never heard it in any clinics either. I just put this in the "bonus" category for flashing a two out signal that may provide information for the crew:
a.) timing play is on
b.) IFF is off
c.) U3K is on
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 02:32pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I've been using a "two out signal" since 1966. I hold up two fingers as I raise my right hand above head level.
And as your partner, I'd be wondering why the batter already has an 0-2 count.

"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've been using a "two out signal" since 1966. I hold up two fingers as I raise my right hand above head level.
I know of a few umpires that would be thinking IRISHMAFIA is buying the first two rounds outta da bar when the game/s over.
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

So, you guys don't know how to give the out count? You must really struggle when you have to use both hands for balls and strikes.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, you guys don't know how to give the out count? You must really struggle when you have to use both hands for balls and strikes.
You're supposed to use two hands to show the balls and strikes?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And as your partner, I'd be wondering why the batter already has an 0-2 count.

speed up rule
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I know an umpire that has only one arm. He refuses to use two hands for the count.

Quote:
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
I know an umpire that has only one arm. He refuses to use two hands for the count.
We have one too and I'll be darned if we cant keep him from calling strikes and outs with his left hand.

At least he ALWAYS signals delayed dead ball properly.........................
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
You're supposed to use two hands to show the balls and strikes?
Yet I see so many umpires use two hands for outs. I had one guy tell me he was taught to do this to practice his "safe" signal?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
speed up rule
I've got your back if you can sell it!
Old Sat Nov 09, 2013, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
And why did someone believe it was necessary to have ANOTHER "two out signal"?

And don't be looking for an emoticon here.

I would be thinking that you had regressed to your hippie days....

don't laugh - we ha a guy in our ASA and school groups who lives up by the Woodstock site. BIG bushy hair and unkempt beard....had to BEG him to get clean unis...we obviously called him 'Woodstock' - and worse.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
I would be thinking that you had regressed to your hippie days....

don't laugh - we ha a guy in our ASA and school groups who lives up by the Woodstock site. BIG bushy hair and unkempt beard....had to BEG him to get clean unis...we obviously called him 'Woodstock' - and worse.
Well, the problem with that is I've never been a hippie. Straight-laced nerd in HS before there was even such a thing, enlisted in USN month before HS graduation and in my younger days I was considered quite the Conservative. Voted FOR Nixon and would vote for him again compared to the pretenders we refer to today as leaders.

Never messed with any drug my doctor did not prescribed and didn't take half of them, still don't, and not only did I not inhale, I've never smoked a joint, just no desire. And as many places as I have been, the closest I've ever come to Woodstock is driving up I87 on my way to the MA or VT mountains. But, as we all know, Woodstock did not take place in Woodstock, but over 40 miles Southwest of Woodstock near Bethel, NY which makes Elk Mountain (Union Dale, PA) the closest to the festival.

Always in a clean and proper uniform and the only time my beard gets a little scraggly was in the ski season. It can get cold on top of a mountain and regardless of what some alleged experts state, a full beards does help.

So, I my question to which it seems no one has an answer, still stands.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Nov 10, 2013 at 11:07am.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
OK, so now this is a biographical site.

Do you mean this question?
"And why did someone believe it was necessary to have ANOTHER "two out signal"?"

At least I got an answer to mine.
Old Sun Nov 10, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, the problem with that is I've never been a hippie. Straight-laced nerd in HS before there was even such a thing, enlisted in USN month before HS graduation and in my younger days I was considered quite the Conservative. Voted FOR Nixon and would vote for him again compared to the pretenders we refer to today as leaders.

Never messed with any drug my doctor did not prescribed and didn't take half of them, still don't, and not only did I not inhale, I've never smoked a joint, just no desire. And as many places as I have been, the closest I've ever come to Woodstock is driving up I87 on my way to the MA or VT mountains. But, as we all know, Woodstock did not take place in Woodstock, but over 40 miles Southwest of Woodstock near Bethel, NY which makes Elk Mountain (Union Dale, PA) the closest to the festival.

Always in a clean and proper uniform and the only time my beard gets a little scraggly was in the ski season. It can get cold on top of a mountain and regardless of what some alleged experts state, a full beards does help.

The times, they are a-changing
Old Mon Nov 11, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...So, I my question to which it seems no one has an answer, still stands.
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind...