The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 08:42am
Stirrer of the Pot

Wow; and He was a Coach?

Did an 18U rec game yesterday. One of the coaches showed up wearing a large set of headphones (circa 1995, similar to the strange Red Sox fan who has those yellow radio headphones and sits right behind home plate, even for the playoffs; you would think with that choice ticket, he could afford something more contemporary), carrying a traveler's coffee mug, and wearing a short-sleeved button-up shirt that screams Goodwill. He dutifully took the first base coach's box when we started. Here were just a couple of his astute comments:

- Ground ball to the infield. Ball is thrown to F3, who makes the catch on the bag. Then for good measure, F3 places a tag on the retired BR as she reaches first base. It was a very innocuous tag, just one of those "Let's make sure" things you see during rec play. This "coach" turns to the first base dugout, and starts complaining to the defensive team's coach, "Hey! She can't do that! My girl was already out! That's unsportsmanlike conduct!" Oooh boy...

- Runner on first with no outs. Batter hits a little fly ball that's right behind the pitcher's circle. F1, F4 and F6 move toward the ball, and as you might expect in rec play, F4 and F6 stop to let F1 make an over the shoulder catch. The ball comes nowhere near hitting leather, and falls to the ground. R1 is still at first base, so the confusion ensues on where to go with the ball. F4 goes back to second base, and F1 is able to throw out R1 for the force. "Coach": "Hey! Why wasn't that an Infield Fly rule? That should have been an Infield Fly rule!"

- Another coach finally showed up to the field and takes first base. "Coach" sits in the bleachers behind home. R1 on second, and R2 on first with no outs. Ground ball right to F6, who moves up to make the play, until she sees R1 coming her way. R1 barely avoids her as she turns to the side and covers her head as if expecting a collision. Ball goes right between F6's legs. I make the INT call. "HEY! What happened there? There was no contact! Why is she out if she didn't touch her?"

- As "coach's" team is waiting to bat, the opposing team's pitcher is standing in the circle waiting for her catcher to gear up. "Hey coach! Get out there and warm up your pitcher!" comes from this yayhoo while he's standing in his dugout.

BTW, the next inning after the "Infield Fly rule" episode, he approached me as he was heading to the coach's box. He asked me (with his headphones on), "Hey, can you explain the Infield Fly rule to me?" I answered, "You need to have runners at first and second or bases loaded, with less than two outs." He kinda stood there a second or so, so I added, "And the fly ball has to be catchable by an infielder using ordinary effort." He said, "Oh, I guess that wasn't ordinary effort," and he walked away.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

What rule set you playing under? You got electronics equipment on the field and you have a coach outside the team area during play.
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I think Manny established he was not a coach, just a spec covering for a coach.
But yes, electronics???
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Did an 18U rec game yesterday. One of the coaches showed up wearing a large set of headphones (circa 1995, similar to the strange Red Sox fan who has those yellow radio headphones and sits right behind home plate, even for the playoffs; you would think with that choice ticket, he could afford something more contemporary), carrying a traveler's coffee mug, and wearing a short-sleeved button-up shirt that screams Goodwill. He dutifully took the first base coach's box when we started. Here were just a couple of his astute comments:
Well, he would have taken that position if he discarded the headphones

Quote:
- Ground ball to the infield. Ball is thrown to F3, who makes the catch on the bag. Then for good measure, F3 places a tag on the retired BR as she reaches first base. It was a very innocuous tag, just one of those "Let's make sure" things you see during rec play. This "coach" turns to the first base dugout, and starts complaining to the defensive team's coach, "Hey! She can't do that! My girl was already out! That's unsportsmanlike conduct!" Oooh boy...

- Runner on first with no outs. Batter hits a little fly ball that's right behind the pitcher's circle. F1, F4 and F6 move toward the ball, and as you might expect in rec play, F4 and F6 stop to let F1 make an over the shoulder catch. The ball comes nowhere near hitting leather, and falls to the ground. R1 is still at first base, so the confusion ensues on where to go with the ball. F4 goes back to second base, and F1 is able to throw out R1 for the force. "Coach": "Hey! Why wasn't that an Infield Fly rule? That should have been an Infield Fly rule!"
This guys is 0-2, time for a substitute

Quote:
- Another coach finally showed up to the field and takes first base. "Coach" sits in the bleachers behind home.
Oh, no, he wouldn't. He is a coach, he is in the dugout/team area.

Quote:
R1 on second, and R2 on first with no outs. Ground ball right to F6, who moves up to make the play, until she sees R1 coming her way. R1 barely avoids her as she turns to the side and covers her head as if expecting a collision. Ball goes right between F6's legs. I make the INT call. "HEY! What happened there? There was no contact! Why is she out if she didn't touch her?"
I sure wouldn't want to be this guy's kid.

Quote:
- As "coach's" team is waiting to bat, the opposing team's pitcher is standing in the circle waiting for her catcher to gear up. "Hey coach! Get out there and warm up your pitcher!" comes from this yayhoo while he's standing in his dugout.

BTW, the next inning after the "Infield Fly rule" episode, he approached me as he was heading to the coach's box. He asked me (with his headphones on), "Hey, can you explain the Infield Fly rule to me?" I answered, "You need to have runners at first and second or bases loaded, with less than two outs." He kinda stood there a second or so, so I added, "And the fly ball has to be catchable by an infielder using ordinary effort." He said, "Oh, I guess that wasn't ordinary effort," and he walked away.
See, I'm a dick would have just said, "no". Not during the game.

Okay, please understand I am responding as if this were a regular game, not fall ball where many things are overlooked when in a more relaxed atmosphere. However, when you run into a putz like this......
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't work any games on a diamond, but I can't imagine allowing a coach to address the opponents like he does here. Doesn't that warrant intervention even if it was the only thing he had done wrong?
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
But yes, electronics???
If hes been out on the field he is a coach for at least the remainder of that game.
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
If hes been out on the field he is a coach for at least the remainder of that game.
Yep, because stepping onto that field during play made him a participating member of that team.
Old Sun Oct 06, 2013, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I meant from a knowledge & experience viewpoint.

Not that the stands were acceptable.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 04:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
But yes, electronics???
True. And it being fall rec ball, I wasn't going to go rule nazi on him. I had no problem overlooking the headphones and his other idiosyncrasies.

But you bring up an interesting question. I'm fairly sure this guy's electronics were simply to listen to some podcast on how to paint a doghouse. I seriously doubt they were to convey coaching instructions. Are ALL electronics except for those to keep score disallowed on the field?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True. And it being fall rec ball, I wasn't going to go rule nazi on him. I had no problem overlooking the headphones and his other idiosyncrasies.

But you bring up an interesting question. I'm fairly sure this guy's electronics were simply to listen to some podcast on how to paint a doghouse. I seriously doubt they were to convey coaching instructions. Are ALL electronics except for those to keep score disallowed on the field?
Depends on the rule set, but in most cases, it is clearly noted in the rule book. ASA states that no electronic equipment may be worn or carried on the playing field. ASA as most have, have an interpretation which allows articles which may be used as scorebooks.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't work any games on a diamond, but I can't imagine allowing a coach to address the opponents like he does here. Doesn't that warrant intervention even if it was the only thing he had done wrong?
That was my thought. I would have made it very clear the moment he started talking to the other team about "she can't do that, it's unsportsmanlike" that he would NOT be addressing the other team's coach during the game... ever.

And like Mike, I would have insisted he be in the dugout after establishing himself as a coach, however temporary.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
That was my thought. I would have made it very clear the moment he started talking to the other team about "she can't do that, it's unsportsmanlike" that he would NOT be addressing the other team's coach during the game... ever.

And like Mike, I would have insisted he be in the dugout after establishing himself as a coach, however temporary.
Context: fall rec, 18U. This is about as far from Championship Play as it gets, I suppose.

In this context, on addressing the other team, chances are they saw him as the same doofus I would have, and chances are they would ignore him. IOW, if they ignore him, so would I. If there was any response from the other team, then I would intervene. No need to make silliness into something.

Same with keeping him in the dugout after he leaves. He apparently was a dad filling in until the regular coach arrives (or until the head coach becomes too embarrassed and replaces him at 1B with a player). Either way, there is nothing to be gained by a literal enforcement of the rule. The rule is there to prevent coaches from doing their coaching from behind the backstop, I suppose, not to force a team to own an idiot for the entire game.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2013, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Same with keeping him in the dugout after he leaves. He apparently was a dad filling in until the regular coach arrives (or until the head coach becomes too embarrassed and replaces him at 1B with a player). Either way, there is nothing to be gained by a literal enforcement of the rule. The rule is there to prevent coaches from doing their coaching from behind the backstop, I suppose, not to force a team to own an idiot for the entire game.
Love this.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2013, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
wearing a large set of headphones (circa 1995, similar to the strange Red Sox fan who has those yellow radio headphones and sits right behind home plate, even for the playoffs; you would think with that choice ticket, he could afford something more contemporary),

Since no one has addressed this issue....

Apparently you do work in a public school or spend a heck of a lot of time around teenagers. Those big, bulky, brightly colored headphones are currently all the rage. They are "comtemporary." Matter of fact, they are downright trendy.

Now, that being said, the ones Jeremy Kapstein (the "strange Red Sox fan") wears are probably circa 1995....or older. He could afford pretty much whatever he would like, since he works for the Sox, but you know those old guys....."if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.