The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Courtesy Runner Timing

In NSA and High School (KY), can a courtesy runner be inserted for catcher or pitcher at any time while they are on base, or does it have to be done as soon as they first get on base?
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

There are no time restrictions in FED that limit the use of a courtesy runner. Browsing through the NSA rulebook I see no time restrictions in it either.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

NSA 4-6: The player in the batting order where the last out was recorded or any player not currently in the game may replace the current (the player physically playing the position when the 3rd out was recorded) pitcher or catcher as a courtesy runner at any time.

NFHS 8-9-1: The team at bat may use a courtesy runner for the pitcher and/or the catcher at any time.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

A lot of teams will leave the catcher in until 2 outs occur (using the courtesy runner rule as it's meant to be used - to give them time to get the gear on and speed up the game).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A lot of teams will leave the catcher in until 2 outs occur (using the courtesy runner rule as it's meant to be used - to give them time to get the gear on and speed up the game).
People act like a courtesy runner is something relatively new.

It was being used in the late '60s in HS baseball in my area for that reason.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have done tournaments where a CR must be used for F2 if there are two outs. Speeds up the half-inning break.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 12:29pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I disagree that the rule was meant to speed up the game. If that was the case, why have a courtesy runner for the pitcher? Besides, the one-minute-between-innings rule is enough of a speed-up rule, and it behooves the umpire to enforce it to keep the game moving.

I believe the courtesy runner rule was intended to give the two players who typically work the hardest on defense an opportunity to rest while their team is at bat. That's why there's no restriction to using one with less than two outs.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
I have done tournaments where a CR must be used for F2 if there are two outs. Speeds up the half-inning break.
Me too. I don't like forced CR's - had one protested once (yeah, that helped the speed up process); a speedy catcher (yeah, usually a contradiction there) was on third with 2 outs and the other team insisted she be swapped out. TD agreed, even though the only girl in the dugout who could CR was actually going to catch the next inning and was already dressed for it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I disagree that the rule was meant to speed up the game. If that was the case, why have a courtesy runner for the pitcher? Besides, the one-minute-between-innings rule is enough of a speed-up rule, and it behooves the umpire to enforce it to keep the game moving.

I believe the courtesy runner rule was intended to give the two players who typically work the hardest on defense an opportunity to rest while their team is at bat. That's why there's no restriction to using one with less than two outs.
The catcher part was meant for speed up. The pitcher part not so much - it was for the reason you stated.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Doing a HS game Tuesday. No outs, no one on base. I look over and catcher standing in warm up circle with shin guards still on. As soon as current batter flew out, she immediately took them off. How can we get a triple play with no one on base? Dave
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Doing a HS game Tuesday. No outs, no one on base. I look over and catcher standing in warm up circle with shin guards still on. As soon as current batter flew out, she immediately took them off. How can we get a triple play with no one on base? Dave
Habits are hard to break.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

I believe it was originally meant as a speed up. Once they realized they could get away with changing the game, the Charlie Finley's of youth ball decided to protect their pitcher.
Old Fri Oct 04, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I believe it was originally meant as a speed up. Once they realized they could get away with changing the game, the Charlie Finley's of youth ball decided to protect their pitcher.
Yeah, it's about time MLB did the same.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Yeah, it's about time MLB did the same.

Considering the amount of money invested in pitchers, it is surprising that they haven't done something like that. Steinbrenner went to his grave moaning about Chen-Ming Wang almost getting his career ruined by a base running injury in 2007.
Old Sat Oct 05, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Considering the amount of money invested in pitchers, it is surprising that they haven't done something like that. Steinbrenner went to his grave moaning about Chen-Ming Wang almost getting his career ruined by a base running injury in 2007.
Then maybe he should have insured that he was paying for a baseball player.