The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

A friend posed this play to me and I am not sure I am correct and of course I would like some other thoughts and rulings.

Runner on First, One out. Ball hit to deep center and R1 takes off. CF makes Willie Mays catch. R1 is between 2nd and third when CF fires the ball back to first base. CF's cannon of an arm throws the ball into dead ball territory before R1 can return for the tag up.

What is the Award?

A. Third base after going back to First and re-tagging.

B. Home after going back to First and re-tagging.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Two bases from the time of the throw. Runner had second base already so they would have to go back to first, tag up and be awarded home. Dave
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
Two bases from the time of the throw. Runner had second base already so they would have to go back to first, tag up and be awarded home.
Question. How did the runner legally have second since, according to the original post, they were between second and third at the time of the catch?

The runner needs to complete their base running responsibilities first. Therefore, the last base legally touched at the time of the throw would be first. The runner gets third assuming they touched second while coming back to first to tag up.

I hope I'm not wrong on this.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

ASA POE describes this play almost exactly and says that the runner is awarded home. The reason is the award to the runner is dictated by where they are located at the time of the throw. Hence the award to home. They still need to fulfill their baserunning responsibilites before they are awarded the bases. The only part of the POE I am not sure about is that they also say that the runner is between 1st and 2nd when the ball goes into dead ball territory.

My follow up to this post is:
If R1 is not between first and second when the ball goes out of bounds are they still awarded home?
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti
ASA POE describes this play almost exactly and says that the runner is awarded home. The reason is the award to the runner is dictated by where they are located at the time of the throw. Hence the award to home. They still need to fulfill their baserunning responsibilites before they are awarded the bases. The only part of the POE I am not sure about is that they also say that the runner is between 1st and 2nd when the ball goes into dead ball territory.
I didn't have my rule book with me when I originally responded, but now that I have it, it does give the same situation word for word that you originally posted.

You say the reason for awarding the runner home is because the runner last touched second. OK, I guess according to the rule, that's correct. My beef is, and I'm not disagreeing with you Rick, is that the runner didn't LEGALLY have second base. The runner legally held first. After completing their base running responsiblities, why do they still get home?

"Two bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw..." according to rule.

How about a possible rewording of POE 37 to "Two base from the last base LEGALLY touched at the time of the throw..."? This eliminates the need for the exception for POE 37

Objections? Comments? Potential arguments?
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti
I didn't have my rule book with me when I originally responded, but now that I have it, it does give the same situation word for word that you originally posted.

You say the reason for awarding the runner home is because the runner last touched second. OK, I guess according to the rule, that's correct. My beef is, and I'm not disagreeing with you Rick, is that the runner didn't LEGALLY have second base. The runner legally held first. After completing their base running responsiblities, why do they still get home?

"Two bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw..." according to rule.

How about a possible rewording of POE 37 to "Two base from the last base LEGALLY touched at the time of the throw..."? This eliminates the need for the exception for POE 37

Objections? Comments? Potential arguments?
Actually, the rule says NOTHING about last base legally touched.

ASA 8.5 RUNNERS ARE ENTITLED TO ADVANCE WITHOUT LIABILITY TO BE PUT OUT:

G. When the ball is in play and is overthrown (beyond the boundary liens) of is blocked.
EFFECT: All runners will be awarded two bases, and the award will be governed by the positions of the runners when the ball left the fielder's hand. Runners may return to touch a missed base or base left too soon. If two runners are between the same bases, the award is based on the position of the lead runner. Once a base runner advances to and passes the next awarded base, the runner may no longer return to touch any missed base or any base left too soon.

There are four exceptions, but none have to do with the subject matter. The "last base touched" phrase is in the POE to make it easier for some to understand. Apparently, in this case, it is causing confusion.

Remember, in ASA, once a runner passes a base, they are considered to have touched that base. Since a base left too soon is an appeal, the umpire cannot award bases and then explain it to the teams that the reason is because s/he knows the runner left too soon.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
My assumption is that the ball remains dead during the time R1 is headed back to 1st and that there is no way for the umpire or defense to get back to live ball status and jeopardize the runner.

Please be sure to recognize that "when the ball goes into dead ball territory" is not relevant.

Then we have NFHS. As I understand NFHS, the runner(s) can not return past a base after the ball is dead, so in this case R1 could only go back to 2nd, not be able to tag up and be out on appeal, even if awarded home.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

As Mike said... the award in ASA is based on where the runner was at the time of the throw no matter how they got there!

If they are not there "legally" - i.e. they missed a base or left early, they must rectify that before advancing on the award. If they advance one base on the award before retouching, then they may not return to retouch. However, the defense must still appeal to get the out.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Gentlemen, thank you for making this clear to me now.

It doesn't matter if the runner illegally obtained a base, they are considered to have it. From what Mike said, it doesn't even matter what base they had, it matters where they were on the basepaths. I get it now. Once again, thanks.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

One part of the POE play is now irrelevant and should be removed: the fact that the runner is between 2B and 1B when the ball goes out of play.

Before ASA changed their rule (for the 2002 season), if the runner was past 2B when the ball went into DBT, then he was not permitted to return to touch 1B (as in Fed). Therefore, for the POE they had to devise a play in which the runner was between 2B and 3B when the ball was thrown, but between 2B and 1B when it went into DBT.

Now a runner can return to touch a base left too soon even if he is beyond the "next" base, as long as he initiates his return before the award is made. That part was clarified for 2003, if the ambiguous wording ASA used can be considered clarification.

[Edited by greymule on Aug 6th, 2003 at 03:42 PM]
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

GreyMule - Thanks for clearing that up for me also. I was confused by the wording in the POE for ASA.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

C-1: "Please be sure to recognize that "when the ball goes into dead ball territory" is not relevant."

Not relevent to what? Ball going out directly because of a throw? Agreed.

But there are several situations where awards are made from the base obtained at the time the ball went out of play."

You need to be a little more specific so you don't confuse the people that are trying to learn.

WMB
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

"But there are several situations where awards are made from the base obtained at the time the ball went out of play."

Name them.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The ones I thought of after WMB's comment are
- carried by a fielder
- lost by a fielder making a play
- an out after obstruction
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

"- carried by a fielder"

Or intentionally pushed, kicked, or thrown by a fielder. . . . .

WMB