The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

New coach

I've been an umpire since 1987.

Last night, I became the coach of my daughter's 8U travel softball team. Yes, they went to 3-4 out of town tournaments last year and my daughter had a blast. When her coach decided to move with his daughter to 10U next season, I realized that the team was in real danger of folding if someone didn't step up and coach.

I just finished the Part 1 ACE certification, which was required by my group. I intend to have Sports First Aid and CPR certification before we starting having practices (indoors -- this winter).

Can anyone point me an a good direction so I can learn how to be a coach and not be a liability to my daughter and her friends?
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
I went in the opposite direction, coach 1989-04, umpiring since then.
First, let me tell you that your stress level will increase exponentially in that you will be running a small enterprise, and spending way more time than you would like with HR, Financial and Operational Logistics...coaching 40-50 games takes way more energy than umpiring 250 games.

But it is great fun coaching up your players and tremendous satisfaction seeing the difference in their abilities at the end of the year. And you will develop life-long memories with your daughter.

Maybe I can help. I developed a Playbook that I used as a guide for what and how to teach. It is too large to upload as an attachment, but if you PM your email address, I would be glad to send it to you.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

My hardest lesson was when talking to the umpires, believe it or not. When umpiring, if we were discussing things as a group, I was generally the "rules guy" in the room - and accorded that kind of respect from most of them. Now, I begin with ZERO respect when discussing a call (even, in some cases, from some that remember me as an umpire).

The other interesting thing was that I was continually telling my assistant coach to stop mumbling or gesticulating over ball-strike calls. "We can't really see that from here" came out of my mouth about 20 times.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 12:48pm
wife loves the goatee...

Congratulations. Many of my best sports memories are from coaching my kids.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've been an umpire since 1987.

Last night, I became the coach of my daughter's 8U travel softball team. Yes, they went to 3-4 out of town tournaments last year and my daughter had a blast. When her coach decided to move with his daughter to 10U next season, I realized that the team was in real danger of folding if someone didn't step up and coach.

I just finished the Part 1 ACE certification, which was required by my group. I intend to have Sports First Aid and CPR certification before we starting having practices (indoors -- this winter).

Can anyone point me an a good direction so I can learn how to be a coach and not be a liability to my daughter and her friends?
Be good and patient with the umpires.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 04:58am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Be good and patient with the umpires.
+1

One of the worst experiences I've had doing Juco ball recently involved a head coach who came up to my partner and me while we were inspecting his team's bats, and started up a conversation by telling us he is a long-time umpire at the D1 level. My radar went up immediately.

Sure enough, he questioned a number of calls, and even questioned responsibilities. His team requested an appeal of a runner missing third base while scoring on a hit. I was the PU and gave the safe signal. He requested Time, sauntered over to me, and asked, "Who's call is that at third base?" I told him it was mine, and he asked if I was sure. I answered, "Coach, if you're an umpire as you claim to be, you know whose call it is. Now let's play."

Don't be "that coach".
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 07:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

My daughter will be 9. I am not expecting talented (or even competent) umpiring. If I get it, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I'll have enough things to worry about - there's absolutely no chance I'll get on an umpire.

I was tempted last year when one called strikes a good foot off the plate when my daughter was batting and I was just a dad in the stands, but I walked away instead.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll have enough things to worry about - there's absolutely no chance I'll get on an umpire.
I said the same thing, but it gets real hard after several games in a row where the umpires dont even know the most basic rules of the game and even then the rules change from game to game depending on which umpire you get. I finally had a meeting with the assignor for the league and asked how were we ever suppose to teach the girls to play the game if we werent going to use a rule book. She told me they were allowing the umpires to use their own descretion as to what they did and did not call. So I asked her, in other words we are playing under a top secret rule set contained only in each umpires head?
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I said the same thing, but it gets real hard after several games in a row where the umpires dont even know the most basic rules of the game and even then the rules change from game to game depending on which umpire you get. I finally had a meeting with the assignor for the league and asked how were we ever suppose to teach the girls to play the game if we werent going to use a rule book. She told me they were allowing the umpires to use their own descretion as to what they did and did not call. So I asked her, in other words we are playing under a top secret rule set contained only in each umpires head?
The thing I found a bit annoying just watching were the "special" rules that would change from day to day and game to game. I'm going to have to make a real effort to turn that part of my brain off and use it as a teaching moment for the girls.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 09:34am
Archaic Power Monger

I put the over/under at 5.5 games.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 10:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I put the over/under at 5.5 games.
Unless there's lightning involved. Then all bets are off.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My daughter will be 9. there's absolutely no chance I'll get on an umpire.
My daughter was 9 when I started... and yes you will.

1) A play needed to go home, so I moved everyone in, including my LF all the way to where a normal F5 would play. Umpire in C told her (HER! Not me... her!) she needed to move back. Yes, I got on him first for telling my player where to go, and second for trying to tell me I couldn't position my players where I wanted them.

2) Play at 3rd, F5 is clearly and blatantly blocking the base, my player slides and literally bounces off the fielder. Then F5 catches the ball and tags my player laying on the ground, who tried feebly to avoid the tag by crawling away. OUT! My first question - Did you see the obstruction. When he said yes, I asked how my player could be out. When he said, "She was moving away from third base when she was tagged." Yes, I got on him. Luckily his partner came in to fix things (yes, unsolicited, but I wasn't going to stop him!).

Yes. You WILL get on an umpire.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
+1

One of the worst experiences I've had doing Juco ball recently involved a head coach who came up to my partner and me while we were inspecting his team's bats, and started up a conversation by telling us he is a long-time umpire at the D1 level. My radar went up immediately.

Sure enough, he questioned a number of calls, and even questioned responsibilities. His team requested an appeal of a runner missing third base while scoring on a hit. I was the PU and gave the safe signal. He requested Time, sauntered over to me, and asked, "Who's call is that at third base?" I told him it was mine, and he asked if I was sure. I answered, "Coach, if you're an umpire as you claim to be, you know whose call it is. Now let's play."

Don't be "that coach".
If he is asking those types of questions, maybe you should find out what sport he umpires at the "D1 Level".....
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

I know I'll never use the phrase, "I'm an umpire" because I know how I react every time I hear someone say that to me.

Although I did put my resume forward when I questioned why my daughter's team (this past year) was playing in the middle of a torrential downpour / thunderstorm.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know I'll never use the phrase, "I'm an umpire" because I know how I react every time I hear someone say that to me.

Although I did put my resume forward when I questioned why my daughter's team (this past year) was playing in the middle of a torrential downpour / thunderstorm.
I've always wondered why teams stay on the field when they consider it "unsafe"? You don't want to play in it, don't.