The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Plays from tonight.

Had two adult SP games tonight for the Rec League I work. Several interesting things happened.

The first is the field is messed up. Down the RF line about 275 is a building with a snow fence in front of it. The snow fence only extends about 30 feet into the field of play then stops and turns deeper into the field, before going diagonally away from the field and stopping by the garden.

In the first inning an offensive player hits a deep fly ball which (in there opinion), cleared the fence in flight, but when it landed it hit in the field of play and bounced over the fence into the garden. I initially was going to rule a HR, but when I saw it hit inside the fence and bounce over into the garden I ruled it a two base award. (The player might have made second had it still been in play, might being a key word).

Another problem with the field is that trees overhang the LF line. Late in the first game, we had a fly ball down the line which the LF appears to have a great opportunity to catch. All of the sudden he jumps backwards and misses the catch. The ball is in fair territory, so I call a fair ball. I was looking at the flight of the ball and I never saw it hit the tree, but LF is screaming it hit the tree. Since I never saw it hit (single umpire system), I let play continue. Any tricks on what do in situations like this?

Then in the second game, one team has an injured pitcher. He is capable of pitching, but can't run at all. The team asks if they can have him play defense and basically use a DH for him. Our league allows this (per what I've been told when it came up earlier this year). What is the ASA rule on this type situation?

One final near issue that did not happen. Late in game two, we have a high foul fly which goes over a tree and lands in the middle of a fairly busy road. Luckily it did not hit the oncoming traffic. What the heck do you do in the event the foul ball actually hits a car driving down the road?
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 05:15am
Stirrer of the Pot

A car gets hit by a foul ball, and you want to know what an umpire should do? Really? And what makes you think umpires have any responsibility whatsoever in this situation?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Here's a trick: Watch the ball!

More umpires get into more trouble by not watching the ball than anything else. Watch the ball, glance at the runners. If you're going to miss something, then it out to be off-the-ball, not the ball itself.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Another problem with the field is that trees overhang the LF line. Late in the first game, we had a fly ball down the line which the LF appears to have a great opportunity to catch. All of the sudden he jumps backwards and misses the catch. The ball is in fair territory, so I call a fair ball. I was looking at the flight of the ball and I never saw it hit the tree, but LF is screaming it hit the tree. Since I never saw it hit (single umpire system), I let play continue. Any tricks on what do in situations like this?
Eject him if he keeps screaming too long....

Quote:

Then in the second game, one team has an injured pitcher. He is capable of pitching, but can't run at all. The team asks if they can have him play defense and basically use a DH for him. Our league allows this (per what I've been told when it came up earlier this year). What is the ASA rule on this type situation?
Not allowed per ASA SP rules. All players in the lineup must bat.

Quote:
One final near issue that did not happen. Late in game two, we have a high foul fly which goes over a tree and lands in the middle of a fairly busy road. Luckily it did not hit the oncoming traffic. What the heck do you do in the event the foul ball actually hits a car driving down the road?
Hope like hell that it does not lead to an accident where someone is hurt.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 11:19am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Hope like hell that it does not lead to an accident where someone is hurt.
My son's high school baseball team played a game at a visiting school whose field was adjacent to two pretty busy roads. At one point in the game, a foul ball hit a moving car on the windshield, damaging it pretty good.

The lady driving came to an immediate halt, got out of her car while it was still in the lane, and started screaming toward the field for a good minute or two that she held everyone involved in the game responsible and she was going to sue everybody. Of course, cars behind her started honking their horns telling her to get the hell out of the way.

No, the PU did not stop the game, despite the distracting ruckus.

She finally drove her car to the curb, and called the police. They came and I guess took a report. They never came over to the field. My guess is that it wasn't the first time they had to deal with this.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

ASA SP does allow this scenario (pitcher playing defense only) under the ADA rules 4.2. But actual application requires a filed certificate from a medical professional certifying the player's status.

Your local league may allow it for someone with a temporary situation; if they do, apply the ADA rules.