Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Or in a state HS tournament final.

A girl, essentially, pitched sidearm the entire season. Nobody called anything all season. They get to state. Nobody calls IPs during the state semifinal game. They are blatantly obvious, even to this guy who doesn't work softball anymore.

Umpires are told to call it during the final. They call about 13 against the girl and the team gets hammered. Complete disaster. I felt for everyone, including the umpires told to crack the whip in a state final game (who did as they were told).
Pretty much the same thing happened in FL one year.

HOWEVER, I would be cautious about believing a coach who claims that "No one has called that all year."
I can't count the times I've been told that only to run into other umpires who have called the exact same illegal pitch.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Pretty much the same thing happened in FL one year.

HOWEVER, I would be cautious about believing a coach who claims that "No one has called that all year."
I can't count the times I've been told that only to run into other umpires who have called the exact same illegal pitch.
Better yet, I had a pitcher tell her coach that I was the umpire that called the same thing on her the week before.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Better yet, I had a pitcher tell her coach that I was the umpire that called the same thing on her the week before.
That's great, when the pitcher has to tell him (or her)!

I had one (during a HS Regional Semi) where I called the pitcher for stepping outside the 24....
As I was thinking "oh boy, now I gotta explain this", the catcher tells me "she gets that called that all the time".

Two pitches later she does it again, but this time the coach asks to talk to me and says, "I don't understand it, she's never done that before"
I just told her, "well, she's doing it now and it's illegal"

Coach took her out of the game... put in studdette number two and went on to win the game in 9 innings.....

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 04:24pm.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
My favorite, the league my kids played in and now where 2 grandkids are playing, is Newark National Little League in Delaware.
Also where I coached and started umpiring; currently one of my sons is doing the same.

They play tonight at 8:00, ESPN2.
sorry, ESPN not 2.

They won, now 5:00 Sunday vs. California.

Some terrible umpiring things:
First inning, two umps each missed what looked obvious calls. Both overturned on replay.
On one, the U2 signaled out, then safe after the F4 dropped it trying to throw to 1st.
Worst of that was that the PU sees the replay then overrules the BU.
On one, gave the wrong signal, safe when he meant out.

Also, no reason for U1 to be in foul ground on a ball hit to pitcher.

If using 6 umps, U1 should not signal f/f along with URF (?). Just because I did that a few times as PU when U1 had it is no excuse.

Last edited by CecilOne; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 02:25pm. Reason: not finished
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
That's great, when the pitcher has to tell him (or her)!

I had one (during a HS Regional Semi) where I called the pitcher for stepping outside the 24....
As I was thinking "oh boy, now I gotta explain this", the catcher tells me "she gets that called that all the time".

Two pitches later she does it again, but this time the coach asks to talk to me and says, "I don't understand it, she's never done that before"
I just told her, "well, she's doing it now and it's illegal"

Coach took her out of the game... put in studdette number two and went on to win the game in 9 innings.....
JUCO game a couple of years ago. Bottom of first inning, visiting team pitcher is taking a small step forward with her pivot foot before she pitches. I am BU, call like seven of these in a row, several of which were pounded for extra base hits and home runs. Coach and pitcher have no reaction at all. Bases empty, I call it again and walk over to the first base dugout where the V team is and tell the coach what I am seeing. Her response is "I know, she has done it all year and I can't get her to stop." I call about four more, then the coach comes out and replaces the pitcher.....
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
JUCO game a couple of years ago. Bottom of first inning, visiting team pitcher is taking a small step forward with her pivot foot before she pitches. I am BU, call like seven of these in a row, several of which were pounded for extra base hits and home runs. Coach and pitcher have no reaction at all. Bases empty, I call it again and walk over to the first base dugout where the V team is and tell the coach what I am seeing. Her response is "I know, she has done it all year and I can't get her to stop." I call about four more, then the coach comes out and replaces the pitcher.....
So much for "coaching" the player.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:30am
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Was she stepping in front of the plate and completely losing contact? I saw a pitcher this spring who "slid" her foot forward on the plate until only her heel was touching the front of the plate.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Was she stepping in front of the plate and completely losing contact? I saw a pitcher this spring who "slid" her foot forward on the plate until only her heel was touching the front of the plate.
College allows the pivot foot to be lifted off the plate so long as the foot is not moved closer to home plate when it is set back down.

Got a call to work a solo friendly scrimmage a couple of months back for a couple of coaches I know. As the scrimmage went on I was talking with both coaches about different things I saw with thier pitchers that could be a problem. The one team changed to their 3rd pitcher and I immediately saw she was taking a small step forward with her pivot foot. I went over between innings and mentioned to the coach what she was doing, he said "I know, that is one of the reasons she lost her position on high school team, been on her for a year about it and she wont fix it, I guess she just isnt going to be able to pitch anymore". Then he hells out to his pitcher, "if the plate ump can see it from behind the plate, do you really think you are going to get away with it? Fix it or dont plan on pitching anymore."
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Was she stepping in front of the plate and completely losing contact?
Yes....otherwise I would not have call the illegal pitch.....
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes....otherwise I would not have call the illegal pitch.....
+1