The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfield9 View Post
EXACTLY! On any other flyball, the runners do not have to retouch their base after the ball is touched (and dropped) by the fielder. But in the case of the IFF, they do. Otherwise, why would MLB say "retouch and advance after the ball is touched?"
You can either be an umpire, and get this simple concept ... or you can be a lawyer, and try to lawyerese this into meaning something it doesn't mean. But if you're going to be a lawyer, you need to take into account the ENTIRETY of this rule, and not just pluck one partial sentence and use it out of context.

Either way, you're interpretation is wrong. You're being told so by people who would know. Believe us... or don't. Your call, really.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
EXACTLY! On any other flyball, the runners do not have to retouch their base after the ball is touched (and dropped) by the fielder. But in the case of the IFF, they do. Otherwise, why would MLB say "retouch and advance after the ball is touched?"
OK, I guess I was not clear, hoped the brief version would be; but I'm not re-explaining what others have covered so well.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
OK, I guess I was not clear, hoped the brief version would be; but I'm not re-explaining what others have covered so well.
Isn't this thread something like you can give a horse water but your can't make it drink it?
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Part of learning the rules of baseball and softball is learning how the rules are read.

I and the other umpires have told you: Except for the fact that the batter is out on an IFF regardless of whether or not the ball is caught, it is just like ANY other fly ball.

What that means is, that a runner does not need to retouch if the ball is not caught.

It's as simple as that.

Rita
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Isn't this thread something like you can give a horse water but your can't make it drink it?
"LEAD a horse to water......"
Old Wed Aug 14, 2013, 08:00am
Stirrer of the Pot

Just for grits and shins, let's assume the ruleswriters wanted us to take the literal interpretation of the IFF rule that the OP is using. He (I assume male) argues that runners have to retouch their bases after the infield fly ball is first touched.

Ok, so suppose the infield fly ball falls to the ground, completely untouched. By that narrowly-restricting language in the IFF rule--"or retouch and advance after the ball is touched"--you could argue that the runners have to stay anchored to their bases until a fielder finally goes over and physically touches the ball!

That's the problem you can get into by, as MD alludes, lawyerizing the rules. No way in hell are we going to make the runners maintain contact with their bases until a fielder picks up that ball, even though that's what the rule, by strict interpretation, tells us has to happen.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That's the problem you can get into by, as MD alludes, lawyerizing the rules.
Yeppers. Look what "lawyerizing" (love that new word) has done for this country. If you take a good look, you would be running to burn down every law school in the country. So what do you think it would do to a game of softball?
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate everyone's response. I'm not a lawyer; I'm just trying to understand the rule as it is written. After re-reading that sentence, it still doesn't make sense to me. It would be better if MLB would simply remove "retouch and advance after the ball is touched," then it would eliminate a possible exception to "as in any flyball."
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's response. I'm not a lawyer; I'm just trying to understand the rule as it is written. After re-reading that sentence, it still doesn't make sense to me. It would be better if MLB would simply remove "retouch and advance after the ball is touched," then it would eliminate a possible exception to "as in any flyball."
Or you could just join us in the real world. There are numerous discrepencies and contradictions in the MLB rule book. By going with the intent of the rule as accepted by interpretations, umpires, players, coaches; you will do just fine. Don't nitpick where there is no need to.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you removed that, the rule would no longer mean what it's supposed to mean.

It amazes me how often we see similar posts like this... "I misunderstand this one word here in a rule ... we should change it to this other thing", yet if we made the change being suggested, it would create bigger logical holes in the rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
cf 9 is kind of new to the forum, so let's be gentle.