The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal pitch signal in SP

I recently started supervising a couple of nights a week for one of the local City Rec SP leagues. The director asked me to help evaluate and critique the league umpires.

This particular city uses a one umpire system for all of it's SP leagues. They are an ASA league and use the ASA arc of 6 - 10 feet.

The biggest issue that I have run across so far is the lack of use of the proper illegal pitch signal and verbal. Most of the umpires let the pitch hit and then declare it illegal, telling the pitcher it was either too high or low.

I know that they all know the proper signal, since I covered it in the last clinic that I did for the league.

I'm just curious for the rest of you that are involved with SP if you see this same thing in your leagues and/or tournaments?
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I don't umpire adults... but I can tell you that in the leagues I've played in, it's definitely expected that the batter hear you say illegal soon enough that he can decide not to swing if necessary. And signalling seems relatively consistent.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

If its illegal, its illegal. A knee jerk call might give a batter more time to decide if they wanna crack at it, but BFD.

Its adult T-ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I recently started supervising a couple of nights a week for one of the local City Rec SP leagues. The director asked me to help evaluate and critique the league umpires.

This particular city uses a one umpire system for all of it's SP leagues. They are an ASA league and use the ASA arc of 6 - 10 feet.

The biggest issue that I have run across so far is the lack of use of the proper illegal pitch signal and verbal. Most of the umpires let the pitch hit and then declare it illegal, telling the pitcher it was either too high or low.

I know that they all know the proper signal, since I covered it in the last clinic that I did for the league.

I'm just curious for the rest of you that are involved with SP if you see this same thing in your leagues and/or tournaments?
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

The Arc limits in ASA are: 6' to 12" not 10...not checking the book right now but did some about five years ago. Pretty sure I got that right.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a lot of slo-pitch years ago back in CNY. Even did games when they had unlimited arc. I found it hardest to call illegal pitches on "flat" ones as you don't have much time between when you believe it is too low and when the pitch arrives. A verbal call is all that is really needed when you work alone. I also often wondered if the batters even paid attention to me. Good luck with trying to get your umpires to do it the way you want.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
The Arc limits in ASA are: 6' to 12" not 10...not checking the book right now but did some about five years ago. Pretty sure I got that right.
The arc was changed a few years ago to 10' for championship play.

Most leagues in my area have league rules allowing for 12'
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Around here we SAY illegal, and signal such as the pitch is coming(too high), or we say FLAT.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have my guys verbalize the word "illegal" once it is determined as such and avoid the words "flat" or "high". When I see one of them get lazy and wait to call it after it hits the ground I let them know. I don't hold them to a delayed dead ball signal and accept the verbalization as sufficient.
Old Wed Aug 07, 2013, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
I have my guys verbalize the word "illegal" once it is determined as such and avoid the words "flat" or "high". When I see one of them get lazy and wait to call it after it hits the ground I let them know. I don't hold them to a delayed dead ball signal and accept the verbalization as sufficient.
It is, for the batter and catcher. What about everyone else in the game?
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Isn't the call mainly for pitcher, catcher and batter benefit?

The only trouble I find is not having enough time to call it on pitches coming in low and fast. Often have to simply call Ball and leave the pitcher confused as to why it went thru the strike zone yet was a ball
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post
Isn't the call mainly for pitcher, catcher and batter benefit?
No, it is a call of the game and it isn't a secret. How about your partner who doesn't hear the verbal? Or the coaches who keep the count to be aware of the game situation? Or the scorekeeper? Are "ball" and "strike" low enough just for the batter and catcher? On the bases, is it not called only loud enough for the closest defender to hear it?

Quote:
The only trouble I find is not having enough time to call it on pitches coming in low and fast. Often have to simply call Ball and leave the pitcher confused as to why it went thru the strike zone yet was a ball
That pitch often is difficult to get out in time. You call it right out of the pitcher's hand and the batter still tells you, "you have to call that earlier". Yeah, idiots, but that is beside the point. An IP needs to be called "illegal" as soon as the umpire can. The signal can happen whenever, but it need not be in unison with the verbal.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is exactly my rationale.

It keeps the idiot in the outfield from yelling, "Hey, Blue, what was wrong with that...It hit right square in the middle of the mat!"

Some of my umpires make plenty of other signals like waving the hand over the head for a pitch that is too high or holding out their hand flat for a pitch that is too low, bu they can't be bothered to make the proper signal?
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Although I do not call "lob ball" anymore, maybe it's time to add those signals that everyone really understands to the list of accepted mechanics.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
The arc was changed a few years ago to 10' for championship play.

Most leagues in my area have league rules allowing for 12'
OOPS...Pretty sure I got that wrong
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

My take is to signal with the delayed dead ball signal and say loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear illegal. I don't worry about saying it loud enough for the pitcher, because that is what the delayed dead ball signal is for, as well as for every other player. With that said, my calls are generally loud enough to be heard by the pitchers and infielders as well.

I do both the verbal and DDB signal because that is the proper mechanic. Do I always get the call out as early as I should? No. On a flat pitch it is really hard to get that call out as soon as it is illegal because those pitchers tend to come in hotter than the illegal "to high" pitches. I call a to high pitch as soon as it passes the 12 foot limit (League rule is still 12). I don't say high or flat to the pitcher. If the pitcher asks, I will tell the catcher and have the catcher tell the pitcher.

One thing about flat pitches. Batter in the league I work tend to prefer these illegal pitches over the 12+ pitches. It is very common to see a flat pitch out against the fence where I work.