The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Super Ump...Just Ask Him

Have you ever worked with a partner who just thinks he is the best thing happening to umpiring since the invention of the game? One of those guys who does not stay in his part of the field between innings, instead he tries to get next to you to tell you what he thinks you did wrong or what someone else did wrong. The same guy who is telling you that he is going to Nationals because he is considered the elite of the elite.

I just asked the UIC when I was on break to please switch me to another crew. It was getting that bad, and I never complain about a partner, that is what UIC's and evaluators are for. If asked, I will give my honest feedback however that is my limit. I have my own game to improve upon.

This guy even tracked me down at the end of the day and asked me what happened. I just told him that I was not at his level of excellence and me working a crew with him was making him look bad.

Have any of you dealt with a situation like this before? I know he reads this forum and will probably chirp in and not even think this is him that is being referred to.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
Have you ever worked with a partner who just thinks he is the best thing happening to umpiring since the invention of the game? One of those guys who does not stay in his part of the field between innings, instead he tries to get next to you to tell you what he thinks you did wrong or what someone else did wrong. The same guy who is telling you that he is going to Nationals because he is considered the elite of the elite.

I just asked the UIC when I was on break to please switch me to another crew. It was getting that bad, and I never complain about a partner, that is what UIC's and evaluators are for. If asked, I will give my honest feedback however that is my limit. I have my own game to improve upon.

This guy even tracked me down at the end of the day and asked me what happened. I just told him that I was not at his level of excellence and me working a crew with him was making him look bad.

Have any of you dealt with a situation like this before? I know he reads this forum and will probably chirp in and not even think this is him that is being referred to.
You will get people like that from time. I have worked with partners who have told me how high a level they have achieved before the end of the pregame. People like that tend to SHOW you where they really are quickly also.

Don't let him irritate you. go work your game.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Resume partners

I'm sure we've all been paired with partners like that at one time or another.
Guy's like that are out there, they're not going away, so you have to get use to it. When it happens to me, I do any or all of the following....

1) If it starts during our pre-game, I'll politely swing the conversation to what we need to be doing as crew to properly and effectively work the upcoming game.

2) As far as the 'bragging' (where he's been, where's he's going etc.), I find that a sincere comment like, "that's great", "good for you", "that's quite a honor", etc. usually works at slowing down the need for him to recite the rest of his resume.

3) During the game, I find by just taking my proper between innings position (PU or BU), that eliminates the opportunity for him to come on over and rattle on about his 'resume.' After all, between inning conversations with partners should be kept to a minimum.

4) If we're working two in a row, between games, I'll work hard at keeping our conversation to a post game and getting ready for the next game.

As already stated, you have to focus on umpiring the game you're working. Focusing on that goes a long way to blocking out any distractions..,not just an annoying partner.

Last edited by KJUmp; Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 04:52pm.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I worked with a guy at the state tournament many years ago, who before we were hardly introduced, was telling us about the big metro games he had during the year. He finally took a breath and asked me my biggest game--I responded Spring Grove and Mabel, two schools with about 20 students per grade. The third crew member nearly broke his britches trying not to laugh.

That solved the problem for that day at least.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I worked with a guy at the state tournament many years ago, who before we were hardly introduced, was telling us about the big metro games he had during the year. He finally took a breath and asked me my biggest game--I responded Spring Grove and Mabel, two schools with about 20 students per grade. The third crew member nearly broke his britches trying not to laugh.

That solved the problem for that day at least.
Hope that wasn't me.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

No it wasn't but the guilty will remain nameless.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Was he all that?

Usually, those guys will brag about their resumes before the game.

Quote:

Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses, I really like the approach you use KJUmp. I will try it next time. I just hope I neve turn in to super ump. If I do, you all have permission to kick me square in the ass.
Old Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've had this working JV HS games before. The worst one was a game early in the season. The guy had been working for longer than I've been alive. He has worked this and that, blah, blah, blah. While the list was impressive, it got worse when the visiting team was running late, so I had to wait even longer listening to the him talk about his resume. My personal opinion is what I saw on the field was that of an umpire who forgot most of what he knew. I was not very impressed. I will give him some credit. One the way out of the stadium he did give me some good pointers on things I could improve on.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I think there is a fine line between reciting your resume to let one know what your experience level is and bragging about all of the big games you have worked.

Personally, I feel that I have accomplished some things in my career and that I have some things to offer from what I have learned over the years. But if I come out telling everyone about what I've done and where I've been and who I know, my message can get lost because people tune out.

I also feel that is it very important for me, as a clinician and instructor, to do the things I am teaching on the field when I'm working. If I don't, I feel that I have little credibility as an instructor.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2013, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think there is a fine line between reciting your resume to let one know what your experience level is and bragging about all of the big games you have worked.

Personally, I feel that I have accomplished some things in my career and that I have some things to offer from what I have learned over the years. But if I come out telling everyone about what I've done and where I've been and who I know, my message can get lost because people tune out.

I also feel that is it very important for me, as a clinician and instructor, to do the things I am teaching on the field when I'm working. If I don't, I feel that I have little credibility as an instructor.
Amen Brother Andy!! And to be clear that is NOT meant sarcasticly! My Dad use to say "If you have to tell someone how good you are, you aren't very damn good. If your good they will know it." That keeps coming up more and more in life, once again proving Dad right

Also on the other note, talk about a huge pet peeve of mine a clinician that tells people one mechanic then when you see them work they appear to be working a completely different mechanics system! I totally agree if your going to teach it and preach it, you darn well better do it on the field!!