The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Should Be Ashamed

ASA is the host of the WCOS. Since the onset, they have been emphasizing that this is INTERNATIONAL softball played under ISF rules.

Yet, there are umpires wearing ASA uniforms and equipment. If they cannot afford to properly equip the game officials, they shouldn't be running the tournament.

And I understand these are not all ASA-trained umpires, but some of the mechanics I've seen tonight are questionable.

JMHO
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Mike, this 'issue' occurred two years ago as well. Speaking with umpires who called the tournament, the problem is not ASA, but the ISF does not have enough inventory of 'logoed' gear for the crews.

In Canada last year, all the crews received 'proper' gear for both on and off the field, but for some reason, ISF does not do this for the World Cup games.

I would rather see them wear ASA uniforms, than 'blanks'
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Actually Mike, this 'issue' occurred two years ago as well. Speaking with umpires who called the tournament, the problem is not ASA, but the ISF does not have enough inventory of 'logoed' gear for the crews.

In Canada last year, all the crews received 'proper' gear for both on and off the field, but for some reason, ISF does not do this for the World Cup games.

I would rather see them wear ASA uniforms, than 'blanks'
That is a load of shit, Phil. They told us the same thing when I worked in Plant City in 2002.

GMAFB, the shirts are sponsored by Mizuno. The shirt the 3B umpire was wearing tonight is the same style they were wearing 10 years ago.

It isn't like they have to provide hundreds of shirts, just enough for the crew they know they are going to have months in advance. This should be a no brainer for ASA, then again, we are talking about ASA putting out a few bucks for umpires. Oh yeah, never mind.
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

but who is 'they'? who is actually driving this bus?
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but who is 'they'? who is actually driving this bus?
The WCOS is purely ASA. Then again, you would think ISF would want to have their brand promoted on TV especially with the IOC vote approaching.
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Is your concern with marketing and branding? The connection to the ASA seems to be a liability.

To me, if the umpires call good games, have uniforms alike, fit, are clean and neat, doesn't matter if its back to elbeco and balloon.

If you want appeal on TV, model it like the NCAA does.
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 05:09am
Official Forum Member

Wcos/isf....

Two questions, as I know very little about the ins/outs of ISF umpiring...

1) I watched the US/Canada game on Thurs. night, the crew were wearing uniform shirts with what looked like an oval shaped patch on the left breast along with ISF hats. Were these a current ISF uniform shirt or a 'blast from the past'?

2) Included in the required qualifications umpires must meet to attain ISF certification, is there some sort of ISF mechanics component in the criteria? Training (clinic/camp) or evaluation/observation to assure that the umpire is proficient in proper ISF mechanics.
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Two questions, as I know very little about the ins/outs of ISF umpiring...

1) I watched the US/Canada game on Thurs. night, the crew were wearing uniform shirts with what looked like an oval shaped patch on the left breast along with ISF hats. Were these a current ISF uniform shirt or a 'blast from the past'?
The emblem on the chest should have been the ISF shield. Mizuno used to embroider their name across the back of the shirt, highlighted in gold, but I believe those days are gone. Really, not even sure if Mizuno is still the manufacturer, but those were nice shirts.

Quote:
2) Included in the required qualifications umpires must meet to attain ISF certification, is there some sort of ISF mechanics component in the criteria? Training (clinic/camp) or evaluation/observation to assure that the umpire is proficient in proper ISF mechanics.
Yes, but the problem is that all ISF umpires are not trained the same nor held to the same uniform standards which is why you will occasionally see an umpire without an all-black shoe. Each NGB is responsible for their umpires. Some are excellent while others, not so much. Obviously, the stronger the game is in a nation, the better the umpires. ISF does travel to hold clinics, but there is only so much you can do in some places.
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like someone is listening.....
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looks like someone is listening.....
But is that an "un-American" crew?
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
But is that an "un-American" crew?
plate and U3 are from the DFW area
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Finally, something that Mike and I can agree on. I concur, ASA should be ashamed. ISF too.
Old Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

After listening to my wife talk about 'branding' for many years now, I agree. ISF needs to make sure that any game, but especially a televised game has the proper and newest ISF logo prominently displayed anywhere they can get it placed. The easiest is to make sure that the Umpires, who are going to be on TV almost as much as, or more than some players are uniformed in ISF gear.

A game that will be watched by America on basic cable should not be worked by umpires in ASA uniforms.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 07:07am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
A game that will be watched by America on basic cable should not be worked by umpires in ASA uniforms.
Is that a slight on ASA umpires? Or is ASA not allowed to be on basic cable due to some contractual issue? I'm confused by your general comment here.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Is that a slight on ASA umpires? Or is ASA not allowed to be on basic cable due to some contractual issue? I'm confused by your general comment here.
Cannot answer for anyone else, but I would assume he meant that a tournament specific to sell international softball in the United States needs to be seen as an international game played under international rules and officiated by international umpires. It also offers the appearance, even though there is none in the case, of non-partisan officials indifferent to the countries represented.