View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 13, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Two questions, as I know very little about the ins/outs of ISF umpiring...

1) I watched the US/Canada game on Thurs. night, the crew were wearing uniform shirts with what looked like an oval shaped patch on the left breast along with ISF hats. Were these a current ISF uniform shirt or a 'blast from the past'?
The emblem on the chest should have been the ISF shield. Mizuno used to embroider their name across the back of the shirt, highlighted in gold, but I believe those days are gone. Really, not even sure if Mizuno is still the manufacturer, but those were nice shirts.

Quote:
2) Included in the required qualifications umpires must meet to attain ISF certification, is there some sort of ISF mechanics component in the criteria? Training (clinic/camp) or evaluation/observation to assure that the umpire is proficient in proper ISF mechanics.
Yes, but the problem is that all ISF umpires are not trained the same nor held to the same uniform standards which is why you will occasionally see an umpire without an all-black shoe. Each NGB is responsible for their umpires. Some are excellent while others, not so much. Obviously, the stronger the game is in a nation, the better the umpires. ISF does travel to hold clinics, but there is only so much you can do in some places.