The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like this discussion is still going on, so since I'm back from a week on the beach, I'll join in. Personal opinion is that the best looking uniform walking onto the field is the gray trousers, navy shirt, and navy ball bags (I wear 2 as I think it looks better). But, I'm one of those Mike referred to who sweat profusely. Many times in day games with gray trousers, I have walked off the field with front & back sweat wetness showing symetrically from a little above the knees to the top. Navy blue trousers do not give me this appearance. After taking the gear off, I can easily wring at least a cup of sweat from my T-shirts. For those who sweat like I do, Interra-wear shirts do no good at all. With the old Elbecco's or the powder blue we use today, I end up with a two-tone colored shirt. While my commissioner apparently thinks that nobody from his district should ever head to a national, I'd be more than willing to match my pre-game meeting attire & appearance with anyone. Growing up in a military environment, I know enough to make sure my uniform is better looking than it needs to be for any inspection.

I work a number of organizations - and I have the approved, proper uniform for each. Not that it matters here, but Pennsylvania Fed (PIAA) did not acept the powder blue shirt - we wear navy.

I like Mike's comments on the players' uniforms - I don't know how the manufacturer intended them to be worn. I don't either and have mentioned that at the pre-game with the caveat that any player without a tucked in shirt who's shirt gets hit as they bail is not likely to get 1B awarded - I must be convinced that the uniform is worn properly & all that - it is still a dead ball. This approach seems to put the onus back on the player, where I think it belongs.

Since I'm still in vacation mode, I think I've done enough work on this & it's time to have another cold beverage.

Steve M
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Tourney update

Down to 6 teams now, best team I have seen is out of Minn, also 1 team from Ky, Fl, Ca, Mo & Ne. Cant believe no Tx's team has made it to the finals. Guess the local umps didnt do their job very well......LOL

Saw NTXblue last night he looked professional as always and hustling his butt off as always. Congrats to Gary for getting selected. Well deserved..

Have a good one

Don
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

I just started looking at the board after a long week at Nationals. It was extremely hot - 100 plus for a couple of the days. Tournament staff scheduled the Texas & other hot weather area umpires for the plate during the top heat of the day. (Mine were at 12, 2, & 4 on consecutive days.) Only one umpire went down due to the heat.

I met lots of blues from lots of places. Enjoyed the opportunity to work with some new blood - shared ideas and techniques - shared lots of tall tales, too!

As far as the uniform tucked in issue - Walt Sparks told us at the pre-tournament clinic that shirts were okay to be worn out if that was the design of the uniform. Only real concern should be those that are hanging loose - particularly the batter. Also, informed during play that "uniforms" only had to be similar - didn't have to be identical.

Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to add to my previous post the two rule infractions that seemed odd for 18U.

A team from Alabama showed up at Nationals without chin straps. Coach told blue that nobody had told them to wear chin straps all year!

Several teams from California and the upper midwest had runners called out for using the orange base after reaching 1B. Not just after reaching on a walk or base hit, but several pitches later using the orange to start from foul territory. Seemed odd that the runner wanted to start in foul territory - pushing themselves even further away from 2B. It led to blue being told to give a warning during the plate meeting!

The coaches of the "out" base runners complained about the calls being extremely "picky" & "cheap" for an 18U National. What other rules would they like us to ignore?

I know many of you would prefer not to have the orange base - but - we've got to call what applies. (No, it didn't happen in any of my games - thankfully.)
Old Mon Aug 04, 2003, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Gary,

No Texas teams made finals or simi-finals in the AFA Nats.
either.

Who worked the finals. Was one a lady from San Anne?

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
I forgot to add to my previous post the two rule infractions that seemed odd for 18U.

A team from Alabama showed up at Nationals without chin straps. Coach told blue that nobody had told them to wear chin straps all year!

Several teams from California and the upper midwest had runners called out for using the orange base after reaching 1B. Not just after reaching on a walk or base hit, but several pitches later using the orange to start from foul territory. Seemed odd that the runner wanted to start in foul territory - pushing themselves even further away from 2B. It led to blue being told to give a warning during the plate meeting!

The coaches of the "out" base runners complained about the calls being extremely "picky" & "cheap" for an 18U National. What other rules would they like us to ignore?

I know many of you would prefer not to have the orange base - but - we've got to call what applies. (No, it didn't happen in any of my games - thankfully.)
The problem here is that you have teams that don't play ASA all year, get in through a qualifier and never really take the time to learn the rules.

There is absolutely no excuse for the coaches not to understand the use of the double-base. Picky and cheap only defines the coach's mentality and unwillingness to actually "know" how to play the game. How many of the "picky and cheap" coaches were men?

Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
What's with "wearing base pants doing plate and 1 BU wearing plate pants"? I wear the same style for both and couldn't tell the difference on anyone else if I had to. I usually buy a larger than needed waist size and have them altered to ensure enough room for the shin guards I'm smart enough to wear (or if I gain weight). BTW, I hate the waistband on the ASA pants.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Another National, Comment and Question

Comment, just returned from umpiring an ASA National. Disappointed in the lack of caring for the "proper" uniform. Why are details, details, details pushed down our throats at the local level and then not at the National. Some of which can be directly pushed back to the UIC. No direction given on ball bags, just that if you wear 2 they must be of same color. We had everything from single grey, single blue, double blue, old style ASA logo, new style logo, Cloth bags, to vinyl bags. UIC should have "declared" what was to be worn and that would be the items worn. Cost=excuse=bs. Umpires are one of the kindest and freindlist groups to work with and be a part of, share/borrow. I'm talking ball bags here people, not under clothing. Shirts with additional items attached. Manufactures logo's sometimes tough to take off, those may be excusable but anything added by the umpire himself or herself should have to be removed. UIC's that make rules need to stick to them and enforce the uniform, not reward them and let them continue to work deep into the tournament. Uniforms = First Impression = Opinion = Attitude = Respect.

Question: Of the fellow umpires on this site that have had a chance to do a tournament of National levels or maybe multiple tournaments of National level how has the scheduling of games been done. Especially tournaments that typically start play on Monday or Tuesday and continue till the chamionship game on the following Sunday. Not mentioning weather, family concerns, or umpire health problems how many changes normally take place to an umpires game schedule during a national tournament?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Another National, Comment and Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
Comment, just returned from umpiring an ASA National. Disappointed in the lack of caring for the "proper" uniform. Why are details, details, details pushed down our throats at the local level and then not at the National. Some of which can be directly pushed back to the UIC. No direction given on ball bags, just that if you wear 2 they must be of same color. We had everything from single grey, single blue, double blue, old style ASA logo, new style logo, Cloth bags, to vinyl bags. UIC should have "declared" what was to be worn and that would be the items worn. Cost=excuse=bs. Umpires are one of the kindest and freindlist groups to work with and be a part of, share/borrow. I'm talking ball bags here people, not under clothing. Shirts with additional items attached. Manufactures logo's sometimes tough to take off, those may be excusable but anything added by the umpire himself or herself should have to be removed. UIC's that make rules need to stick to them and enforce the uniform, not reward them and let them continue to work deep into the tournament. Uniforms = First Impression = Opinion = Attitude = Respect.
I could not agree more. The gentleman I sent to the 18U told me they were told the ball bag was to match the pants. However, I can understand if an umpire doesn't have a gray ball bag if they never wear gray unless told long enough prior to the tournament to order and receive one.

Quote:

Question: Of the fellow umpires on this site that have had a chance to do a tournament of National levels or maybe multiple tournaments of National level how has the scheduling of games been done. Especially tournaments that typically start play on Monday or Tuesday and continue till the chamionship game on the following Sunday. Not mentioning weather, family concerns, or umpire health problems how many changes normally take place to an umpires game schedule during a national tournament?
In four NCs, I've only seen a schedule changed once (Interservice). Of course, in many NCs, the schedules are not posted earlier than the evening before that day's schedule.

Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

And what I do not understand is the ump who nit-picks the players' uniforms but will wear a watch, not wash the caps or ball bags or understand Heather Gray is Heather Gray not charcol gray. I have worked two nationals and was very pleased with the UIC from the Maine, tough but very fair while the UIC at the other National seemed more interested in being politically correct and friendly, but in both cases the uniform was specified and I hope noncompliance was graded accordingly.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Another National, Comment and Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
I was given the first day's schedule on check-in and the following days' schedules in the evening / late afternoon of the prior day. Rarely were there changes after that.

Regarding uniform issues, my biggest pet peeve is umpires who do not wear the proper uniform, or who don't take care of it to keep it looking professional.

At a national tournament this year, one of the top umpires in our area wore one of the mesh style hats with the "ASA" letters yellow with sweat stain. He would literally spit-shine his shoes (actual military spit-shine... and I know what that is!) but he wore this abysmal hat.

While it is true with ASA hats that have been used more than a few times you have to choose between yellow or blue letters, I went to the extra expense of buying 2 new hats for the national so the letters would be white. To say I was disappointed in this umpire is an understatement. Made me wonder why I bothered to buy new hats.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Maybe because you are a "professional, Don.....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.