View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 02, 2003, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like this discussion is still going on, so since I'm back from a week on the beach, I'll join in. Personal opinion is that the best looking uniform walking onto the field is the gray trousers, navy shirt, and navy ball bags (I wear 2 as I think it looks better). But, I'm one of those Mike referred to who sweat profusely. Many times in day games with gray trousers, I have walked off the field with front & back sweat wetness showing symetrically from a little above the knees to the top. Navy blue trousers do not give me this appearance. After taking the gear off, I can easily wring at least a cup of sweat from my T-shirts. For those who sweat like I do, Interra-wear shirts do no good at all. With the old Elbecco's or the powder blue we use today, I end up with a two-tone colored shirt. While my commissioner apparently thinks that nobody from his district should ever head to a national, I'd be more than willing to match my pre-game meeting attire & appearance with anyone. Growing up in a military environment, I know enough to make sure my uniform is better looking than it needs to be for any inspection.

I work a number of organizations - and I have the approved, proper uniform for each. Not that it matters here, but Pennsylvania Fed (PIAA) did not acept the powder blue shirt - we wear navy.

I like Mike's comments on the players' uniforms - I don't know how the manufacturer intended them to be worn. I don't either and have mentioned that at the pre-game with the caveat that any player without a tucked in shirt who's shirt gets hit as they bail is not likely to get 1B awarded - I must be convinced that the uniform is worn properly & all that - it is still a dead ball. This approach seems to put the onus back on the player, where I think it belongs.

Since I'm still in vacation mode, I think I've done enough work on this & it's time to have another cold beverage.

Steve M