The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

NSA Dropped Third Strike

I have never umpired using NSA rules before and cannot seem to find specific information about when a batter is out after a dropped third strike when she does not immediately attempt to run to first base...as soon as she enters DBT, or at some other point?

I know what the answer would be in ASA or NFHS, but have been told it is different in NSA.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Look in the rule for "batter-runner is out" or "runner is out" for their rule on abandonment. This is not a special thing that applies only to D3K. The ruling would be the same regardless of why the batter became a BR with a live ball.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Poorly written, the rule actually fails to cover the D3K rule. Instead of including every instance of batter becoming a batter-runner, some genius wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSA Rulebook, 8-7(d)
d) When after a fair ball is hit or a base on balls is awarded, he/she fails to advance to 1st base and enters his/her team area.
EFFECT: Rule 8, Sec. 7 (a-d). The ball is in play and the batter- runner is out.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Poorly written, the rule actually fails to cover the D3K rule. Instead of including every instance of batter becoming a batter-runner, some genius wrote:
The first thing I noted, when I first read an NSA book, was how poorly written it was.

Rita
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:55am
Stirrer of the Pot

The only rule set that I'm aware of that has a different criterion on when the batter fails to run out an uncaught third strike is straight OBR (pro baseball). There, the batter is called out when he clearly shows no effort to run to first and leaves the dirt circle around home plate before being tagged.

Otherwise, all of the other rule sets I'm familiar with makes DBT the point of no return.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jun 13, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The only rule set that I'm aware of that has a different criterion on when the batter fails to run out an uncaught third strike is straight OBR (pro baseball). There, the batter is called out when he clearly shows no effort to run to first and leaves the dirt circle around home plate before being tagged.

Otherwise, all of the other rule sets I'm familiar with makes DBT the point of no return.
I guess that makes it unanimous for softball forum rules.