The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Collision at plate, What's your call?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVNBppFGGY

Last edited by ref611; Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 07:49pm.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 08:05pm
Call it as I see it.

Bad Video bad angle no way to see where everyone is. So would have to back the call
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Looks like the runner attempted to slide (a poor attempt) and the defensive player dropped the ball. I have safe. But I saw no malice on the part of the runner.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Looks like the runner attempted to slide (a poor attempt) and the defensive player dropped the ball. I have safe. But I saw no malice on the part of the runner.
agree with that
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

An umpire that called this malicious needs to hang em up. Safe.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Hard (for me anyway) to tell just when (and what caused) the ball to be dropped. just sayin.

(never mind, using full screen, the ball comes out on the tag)
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Sounds more like making excuses for not making a tough call.

Well, speaking ASA & NFHS, I'm going the other way.

8.7.Q & 8-6-13 has no requirement for the act to be intentional or malicious. If you check the clip at :44, you will see the runner still upright just prior to contact (actually higher than the player making the tag), leading with a knee.

Just bending a knee and lifting one's feet does not constitute a slide. In NFHS where they define a legal slide, this action doesn't even come close to meeting the specification of a leg and buttock being on the ground.

I'm calling the runner out. It is a shame it was a poor "attempt", if that, to slide, but being poor at a performance mechanic does not absolve the player and certainly wouldn't be any comfort to the player on the other end of the collision.

Personally, I wouldn't put it by some of these coaches to teach this method of contacting a defender simply so they have a back-up argument if the call doesn't go their way.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, part of my reason for not seeing this as illegal is this - bad video aside, look at where the plate is relative to where she starts sliding. If she slides any earlier, she never makes it to the plate. This tag is made a good 4-5 feet up the line, she can't be expected to be much further along in her slide than she is.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 02:18pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, speaking ASA & NFHS, I'm going the other way.

8.7.Q & 8-6-13 has no requirement for the act to be intentional or malicious. If you check the clip at :44, you will see the runner still upright just prior to contact (actually higher than the player making the tag), leading with a knee.

Just bending a knee and lifting one's feet does not constitute a slide. In NFHS where they define a legal slide, this action doesn't even come close to meeting the specification of a leg and buttock being on the ground.

I'm calling the runner out. It is a shame it was a poor "attempt", if that, to slide, but being poor at a performance mechanic does not absolve the player and certainly wouldn't be any comfort to the player on the other end of the collision.
I'm confused by your ruling from a NFHS perspective. While it may be the case that this isn't a legal slide by definition, there is no requirement in FED to slide on a tag play at home. She may go in standing up as long as the contact isn't malicious. I didn't see anything (given the video quality) that would give me the impression that she did anything malicious.

I thought legality of slides is taken into consideration when a fielder is attempting to make a play on another runner, such as on the pivot person during a double play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Is the issue malicious or is it "upright with great force"?
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Mike, part of my reason for not seeing this as illegal is this - bad video aside, look at where the plate is relative to where she starts sliding. If she slides any earlier, she never makes it to the plate. This tag is made a good 4-5 feet up the line, she can't be expected to be much further along in her slide than she is.
So what? Where in any rule does is limit the scope of where on the field this rule applies. If she was THAT far out, did she have any business trying to score? BTW, I don't think it was that far out. The pitcher's feet were damn near on the plate when the collision occurred and the runner's knee almost lands on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm confused by your ruling from a NFHS perspective. While it may be the case that this isn't a legal slide by definition, there is no requirement in FED to slide on a tag play at home. She may go in standing up as long as the contact isn't malicious. I didn't see anything (given the video quality) that would give me the impression that she did anything malicious.

I thought legality of slides is taken into consideration when a fielder is attempting to make a play on another runner, such as on the pivot person during a double play.
Try reading the rules cited. Neither requires a slide, nor malicious contact.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Let's get a few things straight. First, IrishMafia, where does it say the rules apply differently to poor base running? So the point you made is entire pointless.

Next, it is a failed bunt attempt that lead to a pickoff. This turns into a poorly executed rundown. Maybe we should penalize the defense for that, right IrishMafia?

Lastly, the pitcher is covering the plate and doesn't get her footing nor attempt to apply the tag correctly. Plus she's several feet up the line. Plus, if you look at the tag and how the ball "comes out," it is arguable that she never had legal possession of the ball in the first place. That means we'd have __________?

I'm neither a chair designer nor a flight attendant, but it seems that some people have different definitions of upright than others. I find it hard to be upright when I'm going into a slide with my feet first.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 07:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Try reading the rules cited. Neither requires a slide, nor malicious contact.
You cited 8-6-13. As I mentioned in my previous post, I thought that only applied in the case of when a runner slides to break up a double play, not in the case of when a runner goes into a base while the fielder waits to tag her.

If we won't allow a runner to go into that fielder with a poor slide attempt, we shouldn't allow her to go into that fielder completely standing up either. But we do allow the latter, as long as the contact when she goes in standing up is not malicious.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You cited 8-6-13. As I mentioned in my previous post, I thought that only applied in the case of when a runner slides to break up a double play, not in the case of when a runner goes into a base while the fielder waits to tag her.
Quote:
NFHS Rule 8-6-13 (2010)
A runner is out when the runner does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of the fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her. Runners are never required to slide but, if the runner elects to slide, the slide shall be legal.
Nothing there about breaking up a double play.

Quote:
If we won't allow a runner to go into that fielder with a poor slide attempt, we shouldn't allow her to go into that fielder completely standing up either. But we do allow the latter, as long as the contact when she goes in standing up is not malicious.
The difference is that an illegal slide is an illegal act and is, by definition, illegal contact.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Nothing there about breaking up a double play.

The difference is that an illegal slide is an illegal act and is, by definition, illegal contact.
Look who came out of the woodwork......