The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

The radio folk...

I have always been a radio guy.

Currently have the MLB radio app on my phone.

I started back in the day with Kiner's Korner.

Moved to Arizona and also fell asleep listening to Vince in Phoenix.

Currently, I get Jon Miller and Dave Fleming...they work well together for the Giants. At times they are hilarious.

The tv guys for the Giants are Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper. Krukow, ex pitcher, starts in on the umpires by the second pitch, and is relentless.

Ray Fosse on the other side of the bay just downright annoys me to no end.

I enjoy Jerry Coleman and Ted Leitner, Padre radio guys. They are pretty funny and never pass up a shot at Barry Bonds.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

I've always felt bad for the young kids spending time and money to go to college to learn sportscasting/journalism and then struggling to find a job.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

@ASA/NYSSOBLUE

I didn't know that Paul O'Neill was doing broadcast work. O'Neill lived about a mile from me when we were growing up in Columbus and went to my high school. He came in the year after I graduated. When I was there, his older brother was the star athlete and quarterback of our football team.

I wonder who the first former athlete broadcaster really was. Last weekend I was watching "The Pride of St. Louis", the old biographical film about Dizzy Dean. Dean was broadcasting games back in the 1940's. He had to be one of the earliest former players in the booth. Radio wasn't around much too long before that!
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Did Dizzy's brother Daffy ever work with him in the booth?
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
@ASA/NYSSOBLUE

I didn't know that Paul O'Neill was doing broadcast work. O'Neill lived about a mile from me when we were growing up in Columbus and went to my high school. He came in the year after I graduated. When I was there, his older brother was the star athlete and quarterback of our football team.

I wonder who the first former athlete broadcaster really was. Last weekend I was watching "The Pride of St. Louis", the old biographical film about Dizzy Dean. Dean was broadcasting games back in the 1940's. He had to be one of the earliest former players in the booth. Radio wasn't around much too long before that!
O'Neill is very irregular in his YES appearences, so he alomst does not count. And I forgot about Tony Kubek, who was excellent when he was a Yankee announcer - but he was almost tooo good, and got in trouble with Steinbrenner.

One would also be remiss in not mentioning Uecker. Once you get past the Lite Beer/Major League/Mr Belvedere stereotype, you realize that he is one fine announcer - who does his portions of the game SOLO.

There have been only two umpires that I know of who ever did any announcing - Luciano, of course, and.... Brent Musburger, who graduated from the old Al Somers school, and worked minor league ball briefly
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Gene Elston was always my favorite for the Astros. I liked it best when he was paired with Milo Hamilton (who later replaced him).....

Milo was the announcer for the Braves flagship station when Hank Aaron hit his 715th homerun.

I, like Chess Ref.....have always been a radio guy. I loved it when the Walkman came out and I could do outdoor stuff and listen to ballgames.

Ron Franklin and Ron Stone were the best ever tandem in Football for the Oilers back in the 70's and 80's. When I was in college and watching Oiler games on TV, we would turn off the sound and listen to them on the radio.

Good times.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Beth Mowins usually does a fine job for the WCWS, but this year ...

In Game 1, we had twelve consecutive outs by Ellen Renfro when it was actually thirteen, the last out of the previous inning being the thirteenth. Then last night, we had three consecutive outs from a previous inning (not a three-up, three-down inning) omitted from a consecutive-out count. These could be someone whispering the wrong number in her earpiece.

But calling Ellen's older sister Ivory instead of Ivy is all on her.

Michelle Smith and Jessica Mendoza were their normal selves - decent, but dangerous when they wandered too far off the reservation.

And I grew up on Gene Elston, too, and loved listening to him.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 12:27pm
Stirrer of the Pot

My dad first got stationed in Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri when I was five years old and just got started to be interested in baseball. His favorite player was Roberto Clemente, so we would often go to the old Busch Memorial Stadium when the Cardinals hosted the Pirates.

I soon took a liking to the Cards, so I listened to them on a transistor AM radio with the single earbud. Those were the days when Jack Buck and Harry Caray were doing their games on KMOX radio. I was much too young to appreciate them together; I can only imagine having two legends in the box together made for some memorable moments.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Those were the days when Jack Buck and Harry Caray were doing their games on KMOX radio.

Harry Caray & Jack Buck on the 1967 Cardinals Season | cardinalscove.org

Last edited by ASA Ump MN; Wed Jun 05, 2013 at 01:50pm.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
BTW, is it my imagination, or does Mendoza look a little on the.......um, how do I say this.............beefy side?
She's with child.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Funny for me to see Beth Mowins. She was playing in a women's ASA slo-pitch league back in CNY. I called a few of her team's games. Was pleased to see that she was able to move on in sport's broadcasting.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Meth Moens tries to create excitement and buzz when there isn't any. That's a sign of a commentator who doesn't know what she is doing. Constantly repeating the same thing, often one of these false buzz items, is a further sign she has no proper training.

Personally, I think she gets turned on by repeating certain players' names over and over.

She was a guest speaker at the NYS high school finals a few years back. If I recall correct, she fumbled over all of her words and when she threw out the first pitch, it went about 20 feet.