The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

ASA championship vs league rules

One thing to remember. ASA rules apply only to ASA championship play. League's may use ASA rules and they may use strict ASA rules (the entire rule book), or they may modify the ASA rules to fit their needs. While ASA Championship play requires a team to forfeit a game when they go short handed due to an ejection, many leagues likely do not.

The modification of ASA rules for league games is a $$$$$$$ issue. If a team starts with 10 players (SP), and one gets ejected, the team has still paid a substantial amount of money, and would lose what they played due to the actions of one idiot. By allowing the team to continue playing, you still allow those who are legally playing to continue playing.

The ASA ruled league I umpire in has modified a bunch of rules (thrown bat, not one of them) to fit the needs to the players in the league. We allow a team (SP, and girls FP) to start with 8 players for example. This is because they paid their money, drove to the facility (often at a substantial distance), and want to play.

The league management has also chosen not to allow stealing (SP), depsite ASA allowing it.

What other modifications have you seen made for league play in leagues that use ASA rules.

This is mainly targeted towards SP, but also girls FP discussions are welcome as well.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
One thing to remember. ASA rules apply only to ASA championship play.
ASA rules apply to all ASA sanctioned events.

LRAMBF.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

That list could be very long...here are a few that I can remember over the years.

Must slide on a "close" play
No stealing (FP and SP)
No dropped third Strike (FP)
No Infield fly (FP)
Bat the entire lineup
Add an EP (FP)
Players may not slide if they are not wearing a protective slider or pants (same league with the "must slide" rule)
May continue to play shorthanded after ejection
Pitcher's box (SP)
Safety (allow a runner on third to start off the base near the coaches box)
SP Mat
Double plate (similar to Senior SP ) in Co-Ed SP
Time limits (FP and SP)
Run ahead rules
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Reasonable and acceptable local rules (IMHO, obviously):

Time Limits
Bat the order / changes to CR rules due to batting the order
Run limits/rules.

Everything else (again, imho) is a detriment to the league, and to the players in the long run.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:25pm
Stirrer of the Pot

For some of our ASA-based girls FP rec leagues, among many of the mods that have already been mentioned, they limit pitchers to 12 outs. That keeps coaches who are blessed with a good pitcher from dominating the entire game. Of course, the workaround is to have the pitcher go the first two or three innings, then finish up at the end.

We also have a couple of 12U leagues that let the younger girls to pitch from 35 feet away, as if they were playing in a 10U league. Not a problem except that the fields don't have a plate that's 35' away. They just chalk a line from that distance, which goes away pretty quickly.

They also allow 10 players on defense (four outfielders).

Sorry; can't answer questions about SP because I refuse to do those games.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

12' arc and the pitcher being able to pitch from behind the pitching plate.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Run rule per inning
No walk rule in 10U league. (strike count stays with batter coach pitches till girl strikes out or gets a hit)
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Here in the Phoenix area most leagues have a middle closed option.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Closing the Middle

While I understand the concept of closing the middle, unless you put up a net or some type of barricade this rule doesn't really protect a pitcher. If the pitcher gets hit by a batted ball even with a middle closed rule he's still hit. It still hurts. I also understand the possible deterrent to hitting up the middle if this rule is in place. However, most of the lower level SP players don't have bat control and only want to hit the ball hard. They have no clue where the ball is going.

If you want to protect the pitcher then make the batter's box more narrow and get the batter up on the plate. That way the pitcher can hit the inside corner for a strike and know the ball won't come back at him at 100mph. The problem with implementing this is getting umpires to enforce the rule. The path of least resistance (i.e. not causing a confrontation with a batter) would prevail.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
Here in the Phoenix area most leagues have a middle closed option.
Well, some people play the game and some people are played by the game.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:59pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
What other modifications have you seen made for league play in leagues that use ASA rules.

This is mainly targeted towards SP, but also girls FP discussions are welcome as well.
Some of the ones I can remember for our city league (speaking coed SP):

* Both genders use the same sized ball.
* Can bat 8, 10, 12, or 14.
* Can finish a game with as few as 8 due to injury, ejection, etc.
* Courtesy runner - last out of the same gender as replaced runner.
* 65 minute time limit
* 20 after 4 / 12 after 5 run rule
* (New this year) Courtesy foul with 2 strikes.
* (State rule) Pitcher has a 2' x 6' box for pitching instead of the PP.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Stat-Man;898018]Some of the ones I can remember for our city league (speaking coed SP):

* Both genders use the same sized ball.QUOTE]

I never understood why women use the smaller ball for slow pitch and/or when batting during co-ed games. I mean, many of these women played fast-pitch at some point in their lives. If a 12-year old girl can manage to catch, throw, and hit the 12" ball, what's the logic about going to the smaller ball once they're "grown up"?

And, if a woman is pitching in co-ed, why doesn't she get to throw the small ball?

Don't get all wound up - this is mostly rhetorical.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Tru_in_Blu;898658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

* Both genders use the same sized ball.QUOTE]

I never understood why women use the smaller ball for slow pitch and/or when batting during co-ed games. I mean, many of these women played fast-pitch at some point in their lives. If a 12-year old girl can manage to catch, throw, and hit the 12" ball, what's the logic about going to the smaller ball once they're "grown up"?

And, if a woman is pitching in co-ed, why doesn't she get to throw the small ball?

Don't get all wound up - this is mostly rhetorical.
I have often wondered the same thing. My ASA state commissioner is going to try an invitational co-ed tournament with the men using a 14" ball and the women using a 12" ball...could be interesting to see how that works out.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post

* Both genders use the same sized ball.
* Can bat 8, 10, 12, or 14.
* Can finish a game with as few as 8 due to injury, ejection, etc.
* Courtesy runner - last out of the same gender as replaced runner.
* 65 minute time limit
* 20 after 4 / 12 after 5 run rule
* (New this year) Courtesy foul with 2 strikes.
* (State rule) Pitcher has a 2' x 6' box for pitching instead of the PP.
We use many of these.

Same sized ball.

Team can bat, 10 or 12 in a normal line-up (co-rec). Men's and women's teams can use either a 10, 11 or bat around lineup. If a team has two males or females bat consecutively there is an out, UNLESS the teams agree prior to the game to use an alternate format. This can be 5-4, 5-3, 6-3, 6-4, 7-5

We also allow them to start with as few as 8 players (all leagues). They must maintained a minimum of 8 to continue the game. Falling below 8 means the game ends and a forfeit declared.

We use a 75 minute time limit, no stealing and start with a 0-0 count. We don't allow a courtesy foul, a foul on strike 3 is an out.

We also have many leagues with a no over the fence home run rule. It is an out if someone hits it over the fence for what would be a HR. (Had an argument last year about this).

We also allow the 2 by 6 pitchers box for the pitcher, not just the PP.

The argument last year was a ball hit deep to LF. The fielder runs, has the ball bounce off the glove and over the fence. I ruled a 4 base award. The LF ran in arguing that it should be an out since it went over the fence. My ruling was since he touched it, it now becomes a 4 base award, not a home run, so the HR rule does not apply.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

The Unofficial Official Rules of Calvinball

Permanent Rule: You may not play the Calvinball the same way twice.

Primary Rule: The following rules are subject to be changed, amended, or deleted by any player(s) involved. These rules are not required, nor necessary to play Calvinball.

1.0. The following words in these rules are mostly freely interchangeable, the Primary Rule applies:

Can

May

Must

Shall

Should

Will

Would

1.1. All players must wear a Calvinball mask (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.1). No one may question the masks.

1.2 Any player may declare a new rule at any point in the game. The player may do this audibly or silently depending on what zone (Refer to Rule 1.5) the player is in.

1.3. A player may use the Calvinball (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.2) in any way the player see fits, whether it be to incur injury upon other players or to gain benefits for himself.

1.4. Any penalty legislation may be in the form of pain, embarassment, or any degradation the rulee wishes to execute upon the other player.

1.5 The Calvinball Field (See Calvinball Equipment - 2.3) should consist of areas, or zones, which are governed by a set of rules declared by players. Zones may be appear and disappear as often and wherever the player decides. For example, a corollary zone would enable a player to make a corollary (sub-rule) to any rule already made. Or a pernicious poem place would require the intruder to do what the name implies. Or an opposite zone would enable a player to declare reverse playibility on the others. (Remember, the player would declare this zone oppositely by not declaring it.)

1.6 Flags (Calvinball Equipment 2.3) shall be named by players whom shall also assign the power and rules which shall govern that flag.

1.7 Songs are an integral part of Calvinball and verses must be sung spontaneously through the game when randomly assigned events occur.

1.8 Score may be kept or disregarded. In the event that score is kept, it shall have no bearing on the game nor shall it have any logical consistency to it. (Legal scores include 'Q to 12', 'BW-109 to YU-34, and 'Nosebleed to Pelvic Fracture'.)

Calvinball Equipment

2.1. Mask - All participants are required to wear a mask

2.2. Calvinball - A Calvinball may be a soccerball, volleyball, or any other reasonable ball. Bowling balls are accepted.

2.3 Calvinball Field - The Calvinball Field should be any well-sized field, preferably with trees, rocks, grass, creeks, and other natural obstacles.

2.4 Miscellaneous - Other optional equipment include flags, wickets (especially of the time-fracture variety), and anything else the players wish to include.

Calvinball Miscellaneous

3.1 Before, During or After the Game the Calvinball Song can/may/must/can't/may not/mustn't be sung:

"Other kids' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Calvinball is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a team or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!"
(Backup-Singing "Rumma Tum Tums")

3.2 Calvinball quotes include but are not limited to

"feel free to harmonize with Hobbes on the Rumma-tum-tums" (Calvin to Rosalyn)
"No sport is less organized then Calvinball" (Hobbes)
"Sooner or later, all our games turn into Calvinball." (Calvin)
"The score is still Q to 12!" (Calvin)

West Houston Mike