The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I supposed you could make a case for interference when a team mates comes out on to the field, but that would be for interference and not for the action of the batter.
No you really couldn't. After all, what are the teammates interfering with? Who are they hindering? What play is taking place?

More than likely, your #3 is what would happen. I can't imagine an infielder staying in fair territory while the BR goes over to her dugout, discards her helmet, and is handed her glove. If, by some chance, there is still an infielder in fair territory, and the BR makes it to first base with her helmet off and her glove on, I suppose the rules leave us no choice but to say she's still a viable runner.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not sure where you're getting your 3 here, and the accompanying assertion that these MUST be the only 3 ways an out can occur.

Essentially, in either code, for a BR who doesn't know she's a BR and stops trying to advance to first, we're talking about abandonment. I'm not a big abandonment guy, and I know several umpires like to use that FAR too quickly and FAR too aggressively. However, in THIS case - I believe it applies. And if a teammate tosses the BR her glove so that she can go play a position - that's a pretty clear indication to me of a player who has abandoned her wish to advance to a particular base.
NFHS Casebook 8.1.1 Situation A for the three ways.

This is not abandonment. Check 8-6-19:

A runner is out when...she abandons a base by entering dead-ball territory.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
No you really couldn't. After all, what are the teammates interfering with? Who are they hindering? What play is taking place?
Definitely a "have to see it" kind of situation. Team mate could push or pull the batter-runner toward first base, or perhaps, as written in 8-16-6d:

The runner is out when...any coach or member of the offensive team, other than a runner, interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play. This includes, but is not limited to...member(s) of the offensive team stand or collect around a base to which a runner is advancing, thereby confusing the fielders and adding to the difficulty of making the play. Members of a team include bat/ball shaggers or any other person authorized to sit on the team's bench.

But either one is still a have-to-see-it situation.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, Andy, want to know what I think is funny? The way people are trying to mold a rule to fit what is perceived as a violation.

Not that there isn't possibly an issue, but the "what ifs" are funny.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
hey, andy, want to know what i think is funny? The way people are trying to mold a rule to fit what is perceived as a violation.

Not that there isn't possibly an issue, but the "what ifs" are funny.
+1