The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Getting Sued

Has anyone on this board actually had a suit brought against them or been named as a co-defendant in a suit resulting from their duties as an official?

If so, what organization, what were the circumstances and what was the outcome.

Does anyone know first hand of this happening to anyone?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Has anyone on this board actually had a suit brought against them or been named as a co-defendant in a suit resulting from their duties as an official?

If so, what organization, what were the circumstances and what was the outcome.

Does anyone know first hand of this happening to anyone?
I have not had it happen personally, but there has been a case working through the courts in Michigan recently.

Apparently there was a very physical soccer game, in which numerous yellow cards and red cards were issued. A player was illegally tackled from behind and suffered a broken leg. The officials were sued for allowing the injury to occur. Since this was an MHSAA contest officiated by MHSAA officials, the MHSAA's liability insurance was used for the officials defense in this case.

I don't know the outcome, but we were informed about it by one of the Big Wigs at the MHSAA, while at a softball or volleyball meeting.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 02:20am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I have not had it happen personally, but there has been a case working through the courts in Michigan recently.

Apparently there was a very physical soccer game, in which numerous yellow cards and red cards were issued. A player was illegally tackled from behind and suffered a broken leg. The officials were sued for allowing the injury to occur. Since this was an MHSAA contest officiated by MHSAA officials, the MHSAA's liability insurance was used for the officials defense in this case.

I don't know the outcome, but we were informed about it by one of the Big Wigs at the MHSAA, while at a softball or volleyball meeting.
Yes officials get sued for all kinds of things, most get tossed out but it is still a problem. I know at least 2 officials who have been sued because of injuries and the biggest thing was the non enforcement of rules that led to injuries.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Yes officials get sued for all kinds of things, most get tossed out but it is still a problem. I know at least 2 officials who have been sued because of injuries and the biggest thing was the non enforcement of rules that led to injuries.
Would you elaborate on the non-enforcement? Thanks.
Old Sat May 18, 2013, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
. A player was illegally tackled from behind and suffered a broken leg. The officials were sued for allowing the injury to occur.
Did you find this in the dictionary under preposterous or frivolous?
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 12:27am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Would you elaborate on the non-enforcement? Thanks.
Football crew got sued for not calling chop blocks. Defensive lineman broke his leg. game film was used and they lost
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

The insurance premium reflects the risk. The premium is extremely low. Guess what?