The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

ASA - Bench player a team representative ?

Partner brought this up in our game yesterday, 14U,and we both were unsure if this should be a charged defensive conference ?

Catcher asks PU for time, a quick settle down the pitcher timeout.

He grants, and the herd all congregate in the circle.

The backup catcher came out of the dugout and participated in the gathering at the circle.

So the rule , 5-7-B , refers to "other team representative", so I say it is a charged conference,

What say you ?
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

First question I have, had the coach already used all his conferences?

I have been told if a player needs a drink of water, piece of equipment etc out of the dugout you tell the coach to have another player bring it out and do not charge a conference. However, in the situation you have described it sounds like the coach sent the backup catcher out into the huddle to deliver information so he wouldnt be charged a conference.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Partner brought this up in our game yesterday, 14U,and we both were unsure if this should be a charged defensive conference ?

Catcher asks PU for time, a quick settle down the pitcher timeout.

He grants, and the herd all congregate in the circle.

The backup catcher came out of the dugout and participated in the gathering at the circle.

So the rule , 5-7-B , refers to "other team representative", so I say it is a charged conference,

What say you ?
Charged conference. What rules?

For instance, 2011 NFHS defines it this way:
Quote:
SECTION 14 CONFERENCES: CHARGED, (snip)
ART. 1 . . . Charged Conference. A charged conference is when the coach or
dugout/bench personnel requests and is granted a time-out to meet with offensive
or defensive personnel.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Charged conference. What rules?
Subject line ^

It is a charged defensive conference if the game is stopped to confer with ANYONE from that team's dugout and there is no change of the pitcher (Rules 1.Dugout/team area & 5.7.B)
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Forum Etiquette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Subject line ^

It is a charged defensive conference if the game is stopped to confer with ANYONE from that team's dugout and there is no change of the pitcher (Rules 1.Dugout/team area & 5.7.B)
OOPS, remind me, what is the penalty for breach of forum etiquette?

Old Sun May 12, 2013, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
First question I have, had the coach already used all his conferences?
Why would that be your first question since it isn't at all relevant to defining a charged conference?
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Because as I said, at least locally we have been told to allow players to bring out water, equipment etc if needed without charging a conference.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because as I said, at least locally we have been told to allow players to bring out water, equipment etc if needed without charging a conference.
But what does that have to do with whether they had already used their conferences? Whether they used them up or had some to spare, what's the difference? Is it not a conference now because they did have one left or they didn't have one left? It's completely irrelevant.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But what you are relating to the board does not fall under the definition of a "conference"

CHARGED CONFERENCE: When a team representative requests s suspension of play or delays the game for the purpose of delivering a message to another team member, unless the pitcher is removed from the pitching position.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Which includes a player in the game going to the dugout for info or message; for that player or to tell other player(s).
Do you always enforce that?
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Which includes a player in the game going to the dugout for info or message; for that player or to tell other player(s).
If it was apparent the requested suspension of play was for the purpose of private direction or discussion, why wouldn't you enforce that? Remember, you are the one who granted the suspension at the request of a team member, so I would have to assume you knew why you were granting it.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 11:03pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
We just had a big discussion about this. we where told if the Catcher calls time talks to pitcher and then goes to dugout fence to talk to coach charge them with a conference. Same goes for any player going to the dugout to confer with the coaches.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. Don't you?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
For both Mikes, yes I enforce it, but coaches have told me I'm "the only one" and I'm just trying to verify that we all do.
Should have said that first I guess, my usual avoidance of typing.

.................................................. ......
Anyway while I'm at it, have you heard what I have heard, that some umps do not enforce it?
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 09:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
In that situation, I would go to the mound to make sure that's all that is going on. Otherwise, coaches will take advantage and send out a player to provide instruction to the pitcher and/or catcher.

Back to the OP, the BU catcher has no business coming out of the dugout to participate in a player-only pow-wow. She's not in the game, so what purpose is she serving? If the coach insists on allowing this, I would tell him/her that it will be a conferece.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker