The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS - Required to Enter Subs ?

The thread posted earlier got me thinking.

Coach has already received warning for incorrect line up card.

Coach has been warned.

Player is injured, coach has a sub, but sub has incorrect number.

Can coach not enter the sub in Fed, in order to not be restricted ?

I know in ASA they must enter the sub, but can coach NOT enter sub in FED, and just take play shorthanded ?

In my meanderings through the rulebook I didn't see this addressed.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

3-3-8-d says an available sub "may" fill the empty space. I would say by using that particular word in the rule, the coach does not have to enter an available sub.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 05:16pm
Never Stop Learning

Coach decides who is available and who isn't. If they say she is not available she is not available for the entire game. Not for us to question why.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thank you gentleman.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Coach decides who is available and who isn't. If they say she is not available she is not available for the entire game. Not for us to question why.
I would agree with that. I do question if this action is itself unsportsmanlike, but it would appear book legal.

If a player is listed as a substitute on the line-up card at the start of a contest, it is my opinion, that they should be eligible to complete in the game. Of course, if a player gets sick or injured during the game while on the bench, that is different. The same with a player who is listed on the lineup as a substitute who tells off the coach in the dugout because she isn't starting the game. She's legally on the lineup, but the coach may choose not to play this player because of her attitude. If a player gets discplined by a coach during the game and thus is no longer an eligible substitute, then the scenario unfolds, I think most unpires would like to know what she isn't eligible anymore.
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I would agree with that. I do question if this action is itself unsportsmanlike, but it would appear book legal.

If a player is listed as a substitute on the line-up card at the start of a contest, it is my opinion, that they should be eligible to complete in the game. Of course, if a player gets sick or injured during the game while on the bench, that is different. The same with a player who is listed on the lineup as a substitute who tells off the coach in the dugout because she isn't starting the game. She's legally on the lineup, but the coach may choose not to play this player because of her attitude. If a player gets discplined by a coach during the game and thus is no longer an eligible substitute, then the scenario unfolds, I think most unpires would like to know what she isn't eligible anymore.
Why?

I think trying to enforce an unsportsmanlike penalty is a stretch.
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
We have been specifically told here in NY to ignore that in school ball. The reasoning is that if Susie has had band practice, a test when the team had left for the game site, whatever, and shows up in a proper uniform, there should be no reason for her not to participate. So, in essence, the sub list here is a 'courtesy'
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 10:39am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
The thread posted earlier got me thinking.

Coach has already received warning for incorrect line up card.

Coach has been warned.

Player is injured, coach has a sub, but sub has incorrect number.

Can coach not enter the sub in Fed, in order to not be restricted ?

I know in ASA they must enter the sub, but can coach NOT enter sub in FED, and just take play shorthanded ?

In my meanderings through the rulebook I didn't see this addressed.
Well, I don't know about others, but I would certainly question the coach why he/she isn't entering the sub I have listed in the line-up card he/she gave me. And if he/she says it's because he/she doesn't want to be restricted to the bench, I'll be letting my assignor know after the game. That's a bogus excuse, in my humble opinion, to prohibit a player from legally participating in the game, and I would hope my assignor lets the school's AD know about it.

A related question: if an umpire discovers that a player has the wrong number listed in the line-up card, can that umpire make the observation and take the appropriate action of changing the card and warning/restricting the coach? Or must the correction come from the coach? The 3-1-3 Penalty doesn't say that the line-up change has to come from the coach.

If the umpire can make the change after discovering the discrepancy, that would be a way to deal with a coach who would rather sit an eligible sub than face restriction.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Why?

I think trying to enforce an unsportsmanlike penalty is a stretch.
How can a coach not using a player be considered unsportsmanlike?
Old Sat May 11, 2013, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
How can a coach not using a player be considered unsportsmanlike?
That's what I thought, but apparently there are at least two here that do think it is unsportsmanlike.