The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 06:46am
oldadmark

NCAA Check Swing Mechanic

3-man, with R1. U3 in position behind 2b. U1 on line. Check swing (either R or L handed batter). Is the new NCAA mechanic to go to the "open" umpire mean go to U3 in the middle???
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 07:04am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldadmark View Post
3-man, with R1. U3 in position behind 2b. U1 on line. Check swing (either R or L handed batter). Is the new NCAA mechanic to go to the "open" umpire mean go to U3 in the middle???
I may be wrong, but I believe the "old" way was to always go to the umpire on the line. So in your situation, the PU would go to U1, even for a left-handed batter. Similarly, with U3 on the line and U1 behind 2B, U3 would take all check swings, regardless of the batter's handedness.

The "new" way would have U3 taking a lefty's checked swing in your sitch. But U1 would still have the call for a righty. I cannot imagine going to U3 for a righty when U1 is on the line.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Correct. Umpires have been told to go to the open umpire even if they are rotated/counter-rotated.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 07:56am
oldadmark

U1 has a tough job!

Thx for the replies. U1 must look for illegal pitch, runner leaving early & check swing on righties.....tough job! This "new" mechanic (U3 check swing on lefties) must have been slipped in since the 2012/2013 mechanics book. Any reference to where it is in print?
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Correct. Umpires have been told to go to the open umpire even if they are rotated/counter-rotated.
I thought that someone had posted earlier this year that they switched back to the "old" way again. Or was it that the "old-old" way was always go to the open-side umpire, then they switched to going to the umpire on the line, which became the "new" way, but now it's the "old" way since the "new-new" way is now the same as the "old-old" way (open side)?

Last edited by BretMan; Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 08:44am.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

oldadmark - You may try the Arbiter website. It is a post-publishing change.

BretMan - Have you ever rearranged living room furniture for your wife? Exactly!
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

As noted, it is a change made after the publication of the 2013 CCA Manual.

From the SUP Central Hub:

The second change is on a check swing request. The plate umpire by rule when asked to get help or if there is any doubt about a swing attempt shall ask for help from the open umpire. The open umpire must remain with the swing or action (bunt/slap) long enough to give help when asked even if a runner is attempting to steal.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Restated in another way for those having issues visualizing.

No matter where they are on the field, you always go to U1 for a right handed batter, you always go to U3 for a left handed batter.

That is what they mean by "open"; on the open side of the batter.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
U1 must look for illegal pitch, runner leaving early & check swing on righties.....tough job!
And that is only half the list for BU in general.

Did any runner leave early?
Was the pitch legal?
Did it hit the batter?
Did the batter swing/offer?
Did the bat contact the ball?
Was the pitch caught?
Was it a foul tip?
If batted, did the ball hit the BR?

And you have about 1.5 seconds to check the list.

Last edited by CecilOne; Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 11:56am.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the "old" way was to always go to the umpire on the line.
No, that was the new way.

Quote:
So in your situation, the PU would go to U1, even for a left-handed batter. Similarly, with U3 on the line and U1 behind 2B, U3 would take all check swings, regardless of the batter's handedness.

The "new" way would have U3 taking a lefty's checked swing in your sitch. But U1 would still have the call for a righty. I cannot imagine going to U3 for a righty when U1 is on the line.
Read Steve's explanation. This is the way it used to be and still is for most organizations other than NCAA.
Old Wed Apr 24, 2013, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pleased that NCAA changed it back.

Last year, I worked some playoff games in our JC league (3 umpire), then the following weekend, worked an ASA qualifier tournament. We were late in the ASA tournament and using a 3 umpire system.

I am PU, R1 on first, left handed batter checks her swing, I actually had to pause for a second to remember which umpire to go to for the check swing help.