The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Visual Obstruction in FED/ASA?

The NCAA has a rule prohibiting a fielder from positioning herself to intentionally block a runner's view of the pitch release. I had to deal with that issue during a D1 game this past weekend.

Is there anything similar in ASA or FED? I don't have my references handy to check.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:53am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The NCAA has a rule prohibiting a fielder from positioning herself to intentionally block a runner's view of the pitch release. I had to deal with that issue during a D1 game this past weekend.

Is there anything similar in ASA or FED? I don't have my references handy to check.
I don't think their is. I had a coach ask me that just last week and I looked for it in both books.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

In ASA

See Rule 6, Section 5B
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
See Rule 6, Section 5B
Oh no.

Um, Dep... you want to read that rule again?

No. There is no ASA or FED rule prohibiting a fielder from blocking a runner's view of the pitcher (or any other view of the runner for that matter).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
See Rule 6, Section 5B
ASA 6.5.B covers a fielder taking a position in the batter's line of vision.

Manny's play involved a fielder intentionally positioning herself to block the line of vision of a base runner prohibiting her from seeing the release of the pitch. NCAA 9.4.2.7
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Another "whiney coach's" rule.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:51am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Oh no.

No. There is no ASA or FED rule prohibiting a fielder from blocking a runner's view of the pitcher (or any other view of the runner for that matter).
Wow we agree on something LOL
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Wow we agree on something LOL
That's twice!

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:40pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Another "whiney coach's" rule.
Ironic. That's what I was thinking when I was walking off the field after my game and the head coach was showing me the rule in the book. I simply responded that the key word in the rule was "intentionally", and that I felt the fielder did nothing intentional.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ironic. That's what I was thinking when I was walking off the field after my game and the head coach was showing me the rule in the book. I simply responded that the key word in the rule was "intentionally", and that I felt the fielder did nothing intentional.
If you think first basemen aren't taught to 1) linger in the "personal space" to discomfort runners, then 2) step up just enough to block the runner's vision of the release, and 3) still be close enough to cause the runner to adjust their initial push; well, then I think your idea of intentional and mine simply differ. This is simply part of the game within the game.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Oh no.

I thought he said blocking the batter.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
If you think first basemen aren't taught to 1) linger in the "personal space" to discomfort runners, then 2) step up just enough to block the runner's vision of the release, and 3) still be close enough to cause the runner to adjust their initial push; well, then I think your idea of intentional and mine simply differ. This is simply part of the game within the game.
Point one: Does anyone honestly believe a runner waits to see the pitcher release the ball prior to leaving the base?

Point two: There are some pretty big players out there, but none big enough to literally block the runner's view of the pitcher's delivery.

Point three: If F3 wants to crowd me, I'll take the inside corner and draw the OBS.

Point three: If F3 wants to worry more about me (the runner) and my view of the pitcher than playing her position, hope she does it all day long. As a coach, I'd be going that way all game.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I fully realize there is a game within the game. Coaches are going to teach players to push the limits of the rules. But if I were to make calls to try and clean up those antics, I feel I'd turn into an OOO.

This situation did not elevate itself to the point where tempers boiled. The base coach gave me a heads-up in the middle of the game that the opposing first baseman would do this, and I watched where the first baseman positioned herself not only when there were runners at first, but when there were no runners as well. I didn't notice any huge discrepancies.

Then, with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, and the home team losing by five runs, the base coach requested Time and complained that the first baseman was blocking R1's view of the pitch release. I responded that I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. A couple of more pitches, and the game was over.

To me, this is no different than when a runner going directly from base to base on a grounder times herself so that she hops over the ball as it crosses her path. If her timing is such that she basically stops in front of the fielder, then takes off as the ball reaches her, that's one thing. But if it's a subtle change in her speed going to the base, should I ding her for that? I wouldn't.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This situation did not elevate itself to the point where tempers boiled. The base coach gave me a heads-up in the middle of the game that the opposing first baseman would do this, and I watched where the first baseman positioned herself not only when there were runners at first, but when there were no runners as well. I didn't notice any huge discrepancies.

Then, with two outs in the bottom of the seventh, and the home team losing by five runs, the base coach requested Time and complained that the first baseman was blocking R1's view of the pitch release. I responded that I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. A couple of more pitches, and the game was over.
What was I saying about whiney coaches? GMAFB.