The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would greatly appreciate any comments on proper mecanics regarding visual counts (10 secs, 5 secs, etc...). I've been told that a full extension of the arm at shoulder level (or slightly above, say 4 inches) is dangerous as someone could potentially get hit in the eye. I don't believe this is a ligitimate concern. I would contend that a visual count should be visual! so as to be seen by everyone. The full extension of the arm at shoulder level is therefore O.K. comments?

Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to kevin
The correct mechanic is the arm extended at shoulder height.You are right about this.Whoever told you that it is dangerous to a player has not been to a camp where the proper mechanics are taught. I would definitely stop listening to him/her.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I was told I was getting it too high. Shoulder level is where it needs to be. Be aware of where the players are so you don't have a problem hitting them. I have shortened the stroke because a player was present.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

If by "shoulder level" we're talking about raising our arms even with the top of our shoulders, I think that's a bit high, even if the literal mechanic says shoulder level. A relaxed visible count that starts where our arm is naturally positioned looks good, is plenty visible and is less "strained" than if we have to consciously raise our arm so it's going out to the top of the shoulder. It ends up being slightly below the top of shoulder, but is much more natural looking. The picture in our manuals seems to support that, since the arm is starting just below the rib cage and then extending outward. So, I guess my point is that I HAVE seen some guys count with their arm too high.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2000, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

The CCA manual states: "The visible five second count (arm flick motion) will be given from the waist area up and below the shoulders, to the side as illustrated below."

I think below the shoulders looks better. A shoulder high count looks less natural.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by g-man on 02-01-2000 09:30 PM
I would greatly appreciate any comments on proper mecanics regarding visual counts (10 secs, 5 secs, etc...). I've been told that a full extension of the arm at shoulder level (or slightly above, say 4 inches) is dangerous as someone could potentially get hit in the eye. I don't believe this is a ligitimate concern. I would contend that a visual count should be visual! so as to be seen by everyone. The full extension of the arm at shoulder level is therefore O.K. comments?

In Michigan, I was "camped" to be solid off the waist.
mick