Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
What in my statement is inaccurate?
I'm trying to find a rule or any citation whatsoever that converts a runner who has scored into something else the instant a toe touches dugout. I can't find such a thing. You seem to think she does, so I'll ask you to find the cite.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:33am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm trying to find a rule or any citation whatsoever that converts a runner who has scored into something else the instant a toe touches dugout. I can't find such a thing. You seem to think she does, so I'll ask you to find the cite.
For Federation look up definition of a retired runner.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:49am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Why yell? You can make your point without engaging the Caps Lock button.

Are you suggesting that a retired runner becomes someone else when she enters the dugout? Is there a rule cite for that?

The rules are clear that a retired (or scored) runner cannot enter the dugout, and then come back out to correct base running mistakes. But I've never seen anything that says once she enters the dugout, she can no longer come back out to do other things like direct a teammate to slide at home.

Seriously (and without shouting), is there something that says her status as a retired (or scored) runner changes the moment she steps into DBT?
Yes Rule 3-6-6 covers who may be outside of the dugout and for what reasons. When the Retired Runner enters the dugout she becomes bench personal and is governed by this rule.

Are you telling us that a bench player other than the on deck player can leave the dugout to tell a player to slide during a live ball.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
That definition does not state that her status changes once she enters DBT. If she is put out or scores, enters the dugout, and then returns onto the field, she still meets the Fed definition.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did before replying to esq. I just read it again. Can you let us know exactly what part of that says or even implies that the retired runner's status changes when toe touches dugout? Even if I put myself in the mindset that I WANT it to say that, I cannot get it to say that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes Rule 3-6-6 covers who may be outside of the dugout and for what reasons. When the Retired Runner enters the dugout she becomes bench personal and is governed by this rule.
I don't read it that way.

Quote:
Are you telling us that a bench player other than the on deck player can leave the dugout to tell a player to slide during a live ball.
Don't be that guy that argues with things the other person didn't say. No one said this, or implied it.

That said - even if some bench player DID leave the dugout to do this, an out for interference would not be the automatic remedy (assuming, of course, they didn't actually interfere).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:28am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
I did before replying to esq. I just read it again. Can you let us know exactly what part of that says or even implies that the retired runner's status changes when toe touches dugout? Even if I put myself in the mindset that I WANT it to say that, I cannot get it to say that.
Can you tell me where a player who is in the dugout can be anything other than a player in the dugout???

A retired runner is just that a retired runner Bench personnel is just that bench personnel. once the player left the playing field she is bench personnel.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you tell me where a player who is in the dugout can be anything other than a player in the dugout???

A retired runner is just that a retired runner Bench personnel is just that bench personnel. once the player left the playing field she is bench personnel.
Ah. Sorry. Forgot you were the same one I gave up on earlier for this sort of logic. Don't bother actually answering the question given to you ... just rephrase your previous response.

Answer the question you were actually asked ... or don't. I've stopped caring now. Some people argue to get to a correct answer, so we can be better umpires. Others argue simply to win the argument ... or change the argument until you can win. This serves no purpose, and I have no further interest in entertaining you.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:42am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
But I've never seen anything that says once she enters the dugout, she can no longer come back out to do other things like direct a teammate to slide at home.
Quote:

Don't be that guy that argues with things the other person didn't say. No one said this, or implied it.
Quote:
Did I miss read him??? He is allowing someone to enter the field to coach the runner going to home.

Quote:
That said - even if some bench player DID leave the dugout to do this, an out for interference would not be the automatic remedy (assuming, of course, they didn't actually interfere).
Agreed
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:48am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Ah. Sorry. Forgot you were the same one I gave up on earlier for this sort of logic. Don't bother actually answering the question given to you ... just rephrase your previous response.

Answer the question you were actually asked ... or don't. I've stopped caring now. Some people argue to get to a correct answer, so we can be better umpires. Others argue simply to win the argument ... or change the argument until you can win. This serves no purpose, and I have no further interest in entertaining you.
I did answer your question Once the player left the playing field she is bench personnel. And as such is restricted to what bench personnel is allowed to do.

It seems more like you do not want to hear an answer that is contrary to your beliefs.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did answer your question Once the player left the playing field she is bench personnel.
No. That was not the question. That was a repeat of your (and esq's) statement. The question was - why do you think this? Based on what rule does the retired or scored runner change into bench personnel the instant a toe touches dugout? You keep trying to apply bench personnel rules to a player that was involved in this play and is not bench personnel. Saying again that she is bench personnel doesn't make it so. Why do you think it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did I miss read him??? He is allowing someone to enter the field to coach the runner going to home.
Yes, you did. This hinges on the unanswered question. A regular bench player is one thing. The scored runner is something different. He (and I) are saying that the scored runner is NOT "bench personnel" --- so no, he (and I) are not saying bench personnel can come out and coach... we're saying the scored runner (who is not bench personnel) can.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:16pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
No. That was not the question. That was a repeat of your (and esq's) statement. The question was - why do you think this? Based on what rule does the retired or scored runner change into bench personnel the instant a toe touches dugout? You keep trying to apply bench personnel rules to a player that was involved in this play and is not bench personnel. Saying again that she is bench personnel doesn't make it so. Why do you think it.
I think this because she has left the field of play when she entered the dugout. and no not just cause her toe is is in.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think this because she has left the field of play when she entered the dugout. and no not just cause her toe is is in.
This position to me makes even less sense. Generally, a runner who steps in DBT can no longer return to retouch (not if she is still partially in live ball territory but once she enters DBT). Saying that you now determine that to become bench personnel she must fully exit the field seems even further afield, but Mike's question remains: what makes you say that a runner who has scored and enters the dugout becomes bench personnel?
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 01:19pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This position to me makes even less sense. Generally, a runner who steps in DBT can no longer return to retouch (not if she is still partially in live ball territory but once she enters DBT). Saying that you now determine that to become bench personnel she must fully exit the field seems even further afield, but Mike's question remains: what makes you say that a runner who has scored and enters the dugout becomes bench personnel?
I have answered this numerous times but again by leaving the field of play and entering the dugout is why I say she is bench personnel. What else would she be???