The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 06:24am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I would think the umpire that was aware that she missed the plate, knowing that there was a possible appeal, would know.
OK maybe not would, but should.
True. But with other runners on base, the umpire's focus may be elsewhere. I suppose if it was obvious (e.g., she comes out after action has settled) it would be easy. I was thinking of the scenario where she's just entering the dugout and suddenly goes to the plate when a teammate makes her aware of the miss.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
True. But with other runners on base, the umpire's focus may be elsewhere. I suppose if it was obvious (e.g., she comes out after action has settled) it would be easy. I was thinking of the scenario where she's just entering the dugout and suddenly goes to the plate when a teammate makes her aware of the miss.
sometimes ****olah happens and you have to deal with it.
If no one saw her in the dugout, she wasn't in the dug out.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 11:08pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
FWIW, I wouldn't have an Out in A. What play on B2 was hindered when F1 threw to F2? I would send B2 back to first base.

And, OBTW, I wonder which umpire would actually see R1 enter and then leave the dugout. The only time I ever focus on a player entering the dugout is when it's the batter on an uncaught third strike.
What rule backs you up sending her back to her previous base without having an out?

By sending her back you are recognizing that the play was illegal and therefore you have interference and on interference you have an out on the runner closest to home and then you return any other runners.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2013, 08:27am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
What rule backs you up sending her back to her previous base without having an out?

By sending her back you are recognizing that the play was illegal and therefore you have interference and on interference you have an out on the runner closest to home and then you return any other runners.
Speaking FED, I would use rule 8-6-15 and 8-6-18. While -15 speaks of the on-deck batter, it mentions that if no play is obvious when the on-deck batter (and, as a viable extension, any offensive player not involved in base running) interferes, nobody is out and runners return. And -18 requires a runner who has scored or has been retired to interfere with the defense's opportunity to make a play. Whereas example "B" in youngump's scenarios clearly shows that R1 prevented the defense from playing on B2, example "A" does not.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Mar 17, 2013, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

If B1 did not enter the dugout, was pushed back by a teammate ('you missed the plate!') should she be immediately called out? If defense saw none of this, and did not appeal the missed base, would the run still count?
While the answer to the first question is obviously yes, wouldn't calling her out give a clue to the defense that an appeal might be needed?
Sorry for the semi-hijack... this is before my first coffee

Last edited by jmkupka; Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 08:45am.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2013, 09:07am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Speaking FED, I would use rule 8-6-15 and 8-6-18. While -15 speaks of the on-deck batter, it mentions that if no play is obvious when the on-deck batter (and, as a viable extension, any offensive player not involved in base running) interferes, nobody is out and runners return. And -18 requires a runner who has scored or has been retired to interfere with the defense's opportunity to make a play. Whereas example "B" in youngump's scenarios clearly shows that R1 prevented the defense from playing on B2, example "A" does not.
If you want to take it to Fed you have a retired runner at this point and still interference.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2013, 09:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
If you want to take it to Fed you have a retired runner at this point and still interference.
I never said there wasn't interference. But not all interference calls result in out calls on other runners. It's not automatic.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2013, 09:53am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
I never said there wasn't interference. But not all interference calls result in out calls on other runners. It's not automatic.
It does when a play is made do to the interference. Section 8 the runner is out. 8-6-15 is blocked ball do to equipment. weak argument as their is no equipment. Penalty a play is being made on a retired runner you have an out on the runner being played on. since this player is legally a retired runner you have 2 violations.

8-6-16-c (Ding Ding Ding) We have a winner!!! to long to type out but second sentence A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered a form of interference. Penalty the ball is dead and the runner closest to home is out and all other runners return to last base touched at time of interference.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Abbandoment is not the issue
Of course it's not. Which is why you were taken to task for quoting the abandonment rule.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
R1 scores while B2 reaches first. R1 enters the dugout and believes she missed the plate.
A) R1 returns to try and touch. F1 throws to F2 to tag her before she can retouch. B2 advances to second in the confusion.
B) B2 decides to go to second. While she is moving R1 returns to attempt to retouch. F4 takes the throw and throws home instead of tagging B2.
C) R1 returns to try and touch. B2 stays at first.
A is most likely nothing (perhaps something if F2 is chasing the scored runner around). B could very well be interference if they had a legitimate play on the runner (which sounds probable). C is definitely nothing.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
First, I'll say that I am going to have a heard time calling any sort of interference unless I see something overt.

But, with respect to the player leaving the dugout, it is in fact, illegal. She does not have a legal reason to be outside the dugout once she has crossed home plate and entered the dugout. Her running responsibilities are over and rule permits her to be out of the dugout. Team members are only permitted out of the dugout when the rules allow. No rule allows her to be out of the dugout in this case.

By rule, you have to ask yourself, "What rule permits this team member to be out of the dugout?" If there isn't one, she is required to be in the dugout.
Not completely true. Scored and retired runners are not required to vaporize - they just can't interfere. Further, many scored runners will stay around the plate to coach a potential slide / no slide - this is not illegal (unless, of course, said scored runner interferes with something).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FWIW, you are right here. No rule or interp, or rationalization at all can support sending the runner back. Either the scored runner interfered - or she didn't. Sending the runner back is wrong in either case.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 02:24pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
FWIW, you are right here. No rule or interp, or rationalization at all can support sending the runner back. Either the scored runner interfered - or she didn't. Sending the runner back is wrong in either case.
Perhaps I'm wrong to assume that what is said for the on-deck batter applies to other players and coaches. But the Penalty when an ODB interferes under 7-5-4 does allow for runners to return to their previous bases if the interference happens when no play is obvious. I thought the same was the case for other offensive teammates.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not completely true. Scored and retired runners are not required to vaporize - they just can't interfere. Further, many scored runners will stay around the plate to coach a potential slide / no slide - this is not illegal (unless, of course, said scored runner interferes with something).
THAT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS A RETIRED RUNNER GOING INTO THE DUGOUT AND COMING BACK OUT.

You've changed the scenario. What in my statement is inaccurate?
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 07:24am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
THAT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS A RETIRED RUNNER GOING INTO THE DUGOUT AND COMING BACK OUT.
Why yell? You can make your point without engaging the Caps Lock button.

Are you suggesting that a retired runner becomes someone else when she enters the dugout? Is there a rule cite for that?

The rules are clear that a retired (or scored) runner cannot enter the dugout, and then come back out to correct base running mistakes. But I've never seen anything that says once she enters the dugout, she can no longer come back out to do other things like direct a teammate to slide at home.

Seriously (and without shouting), is there something that says her status as a retired (or scored) runner changes the moment she steps into DBT?