The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire runs into base runner

NFHS
The base umpire runs into the base runner going from 2nd base to 3rd base, while trying to get into proper position during a base hit to the outfield. The base runner was knocked down unto the ground and was close to being tagged out. The base umpire kills the play and awards the base runner the base she was going to (3rd base), and the batter runner 1st base. Neither team complained.

I thought this was the propper call, but can't find any rule to support this. Any help?
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

that is not a dead ball, you let the play finish, then take your medicine from the offensive coach.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
NFHS
The base umpire runs into the base runner going from 2nd base to 3rd base, while trying to get into proper position during a base hit to the outfield. The base runner was knocked down unto the ground and was close to being tagged out. The base umpire kills the play and awards the base runner the base she was going to (3rd base), and the batter runner 1st base. Neither team complained.

I thought this was the propper call, but can't find any rule to support this. Any help?
Umpires can remedy problems we cause; but I don't see the reason for the BR award.
Old Sun Mar 10, 2013, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

There is no rule to support this. The only umpire INT is PU who may hinder F2. Aside from that, this is a too sad too bad situation. No call, no awards.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Umpires can remedy problems we cause.
Unfortunately, no we can't.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 09:53am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Umpires can remedy problems we cause; but I don't see the reason for the BR award.
Be careful, CO. You may be thinking of NFHS 10-2-3m, which says the plate umpire may rectify any reversed umpire decisions that put a team in jeopardy.

This was not an umpire decision. This was an umpire whose ineptness put a runner at risk. This cannot be fixed. If the runner had been tagged out, then the out stands.

It's no different than a base umpire getting hit with a throw from the outfield that causes runners to run additional bases. Oops, sorry, but all play stands. You cannot stop the runners from taking advantage of it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Unfortunately, no we can't.
What about 10-2-3-m?
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Be careful, CO. You may be thinking of NFHS 10-2-3m, which says the plate umpire may rectify any reversed umpire decisions that put a team in jeopardy.

This was not an umpire decision. This was an umpire whose ineptness put a runner at risk. This cannot be fixed. If the runner had been tagged out, then the out stands.

It's no different than a base umpire getting hit with a throw from the outfield that causes runners to run additional bases. Oops, sorry, but all play stands. You cannot stop the runners from taking advantage of it.
Yes, I was stretching that rule a lot, adding a bit of 10-2-3-g, but my main point was about that not applyiing to the BR.

Someday, we can discuss whether an umpire runnng into a player (action of an umpire) is different than a throw (action of a player); in applying any connotation of "decision".
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What about 10-2-3-m?
Sure, if an umpire makes an incorrect call or decision on the field and that incorrect call puts the offense or defense in jeopardy, we are required to rectify it. That rule has NOTHING to do with an umpire getting in the way of a runner or even a throw.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 12:19pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Someday, we can discuss whether an umpire runnng into a player (action of an umpire) is different than a throw (action of a player); in applying any connotation of "decision".
I don't see how it would be different. No rule covers either situation (and I wouldn't use 10-2-3g in either case), and I don't agree that the umpire getting in the way of a throw is solely due to player action. It's still the umpire's fault by placing himself/herself in the path of the throw.

I don't know about softball. But the 10-2-3g equivalent in baseball is limited for use when a rule doesn't cover a unique situation. For example, a batted ball gets stuck in a plastic cup that fell onto the field, or a pitch hits a bird in flight (those happened in MLB games). It is not to be used when an umpire gets in the way of the players.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Mon Mar 11, 2013 at 12:28pm.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I don't see how it would be different. No rule covers either situation (and I wouldn't use 10-2-3g in either case), and I don't agree that the umpire getting in the way of a throw is solely due to player action. It's still the umpire's fault by placing himself/herself in the path of the throw.

I don't know about softball. But the 10-2-3g equivalent in baseball is limited for use when a rule doesn't cover a unique situation. For example, a batted ball gets stuck in a plastic cup that fell onto the field, or a pitch hits a bird in flight (those happened in MLB games). It is not to be used when an umpire gets in the way of the players.
Umpire interference is defined; it exists, there are rules that apply, it has specific and extremely limited applications.

The clear, obvious, and distinct implication is that nothing else during live play is umpire interference, correctable, or even something that needs to be acknowledged.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon, somebodies got to say it. So, we will leave it up to the anal guy.

An umpire should never, ever be in a situation where a runner is going to run into them. If the umpire is, s/he is way out of position.

Unfortunately, for the offense, there is nothing that can be done about it within the rules of the game. The umpire screwed up and, as previously noted, needs to stand humbly in front of the coach and take a deserved, but not abusive, tongue lashing.
Old Mon Mar 11, 2013, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like an umpire who doesn't want to pause-read-react. Where was the ball hit and where was he going?
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 07:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Umpire interference is defined; it exists, there are rules that apply, it has specific and extremely limited applications.

The clear, obvious, and distinct implication is that nothing else during live play is umpire interference, correctable, or even something that needs to be acknowledged.
I'm 100% in agreement.

But to be accurate, what we're talking about here is umpire obstruction. And, unlike umpire interference which is a recognized and defined concept in all softball (and baseball) rule sets, there is no such thing as umpire obstruction. And I was merely pointing out that we can't use 10-2-3g to create a ruling for it.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
C'mon, somebodies got to say it. So, we will leave it up to the anal guy.

An umpire should never, ever be in a situation where a runner is going to run into them. If the umpire is, s/he is way out of position.

Unfortunately, for the offense, there is nothing that can be done about it within the rules of the game. The umpire screwed up and, as previously noted, needs to stand humbly in front of the coach and take a deserved, but not abusive, tongue lashing.
I agree 100%, but will admit to the peanut gallery that this happened to me.

My 4th or 5th year - some 16 odd years ago. R1 on 2nd, 1 out. R1 has been taking generous leads, and BR is quick. BR squares to bunt and hits it right on the 3rd base line, about 15 feet, but in the air. I read the play and see (in my mind) F5 barehanding and firing to first. I move forward to get behind the pitcher for my call at first base... and freaking F5 lays out like Jerry Rice and catches the ball. At the moment it happens, I'm directly in the baseline behind R1 who recovers at the same time as me. I initially think I should simply continue and I'll be out of her way in a step or two, then turn for the play at 2nd. R1, for whatever reason, turns around toward her left and runs right at me (instead of 2nd base) and we collide.

I took a crapload from the coach when she was thrown out by inches. Deservedly so. I learned a lot that day, and it's never even come close to happening again.

West Houston Mike