The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:57am
Stirrer of the Pot

2013 CCA Umpire Manual

Are there any significant changes with the 2013 college umpire manual? I have the 2012 version, and didn't want to have to buy the new one if the changes are minimal.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Are there any significant changes with the 2013 college umpire manual? I have the 2012 version, and didn't want to have to buy the new one if the changes are minimal.
Most significant change....32 pages less than the 2012 manual.

Seriously, they removed Sec. 2 from last year's edition and edited and moved some topics to different sections for the 2013 edition.

None of the 2013 mechanic changes affecting BU's; elimination of caught 3K signal, not echoing PU infield fly call, along with the change (for both PU&BU) on check swing responsibilities, made it into this year's manual; but have been discussed here on the Forum and appear in writing (except the IF mechanic) in the National Coordinator Notes section on the SUP website.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you registering with the NCAA/SUP on Arbiter? If you do, the CCA manual is included.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Rather shamefully, there were some changes and virtually none of them made their way into the 2013 manual.

The base umpire no longer signals the closed fist on a caught third strike. Now, he only points to the ground on a dropped third strike. This was not updated in the manual.

The base umpire no longer echoes a play umpire's infield fly call. This was not updated in the manual.

An umpire who calls an infield fly no longer extends his index finger into the are, but rather uses a closed fist. This was not updated in the manual.

On checked swings, the plate umpire will always go to 1BU on right handed batters and 3BU on left handed batters, regardless of their starting positions or playing action. This was not updated in the manual.

With no runners on base, if 1BU chases, 3BU only moves to the calling position at 2nd base if a play is developing there. Otherwise, 3BU remains outside the diamond and would take BR into 3rd base staying outside rather than looking over his shoulder for the ball coming from right field.

With R1 on 1st base only, the starting distance for both 1BU and 3BU has been cut down from 6-12 feet to 6-10 feet.

Anytime 3BU starts on the line and is responsible for a runner (i.e., R2 starts on 2nd base or R3 starts on 3rd base), the starting distance has been cut down from 6-12 feet to 6-10 feet.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
The base umpire no longer signals the closed fist on a caught third strike. Now, he only points to the ground on a dropped third strike. This was not updated in the manual.
All of this because some major leaguers fail to perform at a little league level in a single instance.

Quote:
With no runners on base, if 1BU chases, 3BU only moves to the calling position at 2nd base if a play is developing there. Otherwise, 3BU remains outside the diamond and would take BR into 3rd base staying outside rather than looking over his shoulder for the ball coming from right field.
To me, that makes no sense. And I do not buy the reasoning. An umpire shouldn't be looking over his/her shoulder anytime even on the inside. If they are, their mechanics are questionable, at best. I'll take the ease of gaining angles at either base and still be in a position to keep all the elements in front of me.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
All of this because some major leaguers fail to perform at a little league level in a single instance.

To me, that makes no sense. And I do not buy the reasoning. An umpire shouldn't be looking over his/her shoulder anytime even on the inside. If they are, their mechanics are questionable, at best. I'll take the ease of gaining angles at either base and still be in a position to keep all the elements in front of me.
With no runners on, if 1BU chases on a ball to right field and the ball gets passed the right fielder and the BR attempts a triple, the ideal position is to remain outside the diamond for the play at 3rd base. Should there be a rundown, it also results in one umpire being inside the diamond (plate umpire) and one remaining outside the diamond, which is preferable for a rundown.

I'm not saying it is impossible to get the call right at 3rd base if 3BU comes inside. I'm saying that it is easier to stay outside. Coming inside offers no advantage. You don't need a protractor to realize that the angle is better staying outside than coming inside. Staying outside gives you a wider, clearer and easier view of the playing field, right fielder, runner and ball.

This is if there is no initial play on the BR at 2nd base.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is it that you are referring to? If your alluding to the 2005 Angels - White Sox game, then your remark is about 8 years passed the punch line, since the NCAA is now cutting the mechanic by about 95% (all caught 3rd strikes).

Last edited by EsqUmp; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:42am.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With no runners on, if 1BU chases on a ball to right field and the ball gets passed the right fielder and the BR attempts a triple, the ideal position is to remain outside the diamond for the play at 3rd base. Should there be a rundown, it also results in one umpire being inside the diamond (plate umpire) and one remaining outside the diamond, which is preferable for a rundown.

I'm not saying it is impossible to get the call right at 3rd base if 3BU comes inside. I'm saying that it is easier to stay outside. Coming inside offers no advantage. You don't need a protractor to realize that the angle is better staying outside than coming inside. Staying outside gives you a wider, clearer and easier view of the playing field, right fielder, runner and ball.

This is if there is no initial play on the BR at 2nd base.
IMO, your assertion that the outside is a clearer or easier view is not accurate. What are you going to see outside that I will not see inside? I will have the defense, offense, ball and base in front of me.

Staying outside gives you a weak angle for a potential play @ 2B that may require some fancy footwork to get the right angle for a clear view at the play. Being inside can give the umpire an effortless 90 to any throw from the right side and a great look at a play on either side of the base. Also allows and easy and quick conversion from one base to the other depending on the play. Please note that just because I would be coming inside, doesn't mean I'm running to the middle of the field. Once I enter the diamond, I'm reading the play and like any other, move to the best position for the most likely, if any, play.

Outside may work out quite well for the routine plays. I'd prefer to stay a step ahead and prepare for the non-routine plays and I think the inside just offers a better opportunity to adjust.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
. Should there be a rundown, it also results in one umpire being inside the diamond (plate umpire) and one remaining outside the diamond, which is preferable for a rundown.
Why is the PU inside the diamond?

Quote:
. This is if there is no initial play on the BR at 2nd base.
Please don't use the term "initial play" in this context, just for batted ball.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Rather shamefully, there were some changes and virtually none of them made their way into the 2013 manual.
Timing or cost.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:07pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
For a rundown between second and third, where else would the PU be?

At least I'm assuming EsqUmp meant the rundown would be between those two bases. If the rundown happens between third and home, that's a different story.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For a rundown between second and third, where else would the PU be?

At least I'm assuming EsqUmp meant the rundown would be between those two bases. If the rundown happens between third and home, that's a different story.
Correct. On a rundown between 2nd and 3rd base, NCAA would have the base umpire outside the diamond and the plate umpire inside the diamond.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

Please don't use the term "initial play" in this context, just for batted ball.
For that rotation (No runners on/U1 chases/ball not caught, on a double or triple) PU's mechanic and responsibility is:

>"Move all the way to a primary position for a possible force play at first base."
>"Watch the batter-runner approach, touch, or round at first base."

for a triple add......

>"As the batter-runner advances to third base, mirror the advancement by moving all the way to the point of plate holding area."

>"Watch any play at third base and be prepared to give help if requested.".......(my words) or needed, such as a possible rundown.

Being as how U3 could have a rundown occur at any time, that help might be needed at any point of the PU's movement back to the point of plate holding area. His movement to third base to cover that end of the rundown would have him inside the diamond.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IMO, your assertion that the outside is a clearer or easier view is not accurate. What are you going to see outside that I will not see inside? I will have the defense, offense, ball and base in front of me.

Staying outside gives you a weak angle for a potential play @ 2B that may require some fancy footwork to get the right angle for a clear view at the play. Being inside can give the umpire an effortless 90 to any throw from the right side and a great look at a play on either side of the base. Also allows and easy and quick conversion from one base to the other depending on the play. Please note that just because I would be coming inside, doesn't mean I'm running to the middle of the field. Once I enter the diamond, I'm reading the play and like any other, move to the best position for the most likely, if any, play.

Outside may work out quite well for the routine plays. I'd prefer to stay a step ahead and prepare for the non-routine plays and I think the inside just offers a better opportunity to adjust.
The difference is between looking back over your shoulder or simply looking up. I prefer to look simply look up, rather than back over my shoulder to see the ball.

As I specifically wrote, this is if there is no play on the BR @ 2nd base. You have changed the facts to argue a point.

Sticking with my play (because that's the one written in the manual and the one we are discussing), can you say why it is better to go inside with NO play at 2nd base?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 02:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

The base umpire no longer echoes a play umpire's infield fly call. This was not updated in the manual.

An umpire who calls an infield fly no longer extends his index finger into the are, but rather uses a closed fist. This was not updated in the manual.

On checked swings, the plate umpire will always go to 1BU on right handed batters and 3BU on left handed batters, regardless of their starting positions or playing action. This was not updated in the manual.

With R1 on 1st base only, the starting distance for both 1BU and 3BU has been cut down from 6-12 feet to 6-10 feet.

Anytime 3BU starts on the line and is responsible for a runner (i.e., R2 starts on 2nd base or R3 starts on 3rd base), the starting distance has been cut down from 6-12 feet to 6-10 feet.
Maybe it's just me, but most of these changes are so petty, I just don't understand why someone felt they were necessary.

I mean, really, what the heck was wrong with signalling a caught third with a fist and an uncaught third with a finger point? Now the fist is no longer required because...?? Was it really that bad to give the fist signal? Now, the PU has to hope that no signal means a caught third, and NOT a brain cramp on the BU's part.

And what could possibly be the compelling reason to change from a max of 12 feet to a max of 10 feet when positioning on the line with a runner at their base? I just don't get it...