The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Where is this in the umpire manual?

Wanted to get your opinion on these mechanics --

14 U -- got called to work some organization on Sunday morning I've never worked for

I'm on the plate and as I'm starting the game I glance down to first and notice my esteemed colleague is walking the line AND TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE -- he waves at me to continue the game so I oblige him

Couple of pitches later the batter chops the ball and heads toward first -- partner gets his 45 or 60 -- and beautifully whips his cellphone from his right ear -- transfers it to his left hand so he can give the big round house out w/ the right -- then turns around and heads back down the line still talking on the damned phone

Me and the catcher plotted that on the first swinging strike that I was gonna call a ball and she was gonna ask for a check swing appeal but I guess the dude's cell phone powered down before we got the chance

So anybody else got stories of amazingly poor professionalism to share?
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa

14 U -- got called to work some organization on Sunday morning I've never worked for

I'm on the plate and as I'm starting the game I glance down to first and notice my esteemed colleague is walking the line AND TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE -- he waves at me to continue the game so I oblige him

Couple of pitches later the batter chops the ball and heads toward first -- partner gets his 45 or 60 -- and beautifully whips his cellphone from his right ear -- transfers it to his left hand so he can give the big round house out w/ the right -- then turns around and heads back down the line still talking on the damned phone

Me and the catcher plotted that on the first swinging strike that I was gonna call a ball and she was gonna ask for a check swing appeal but I guess the dude's cell phone powered down before we got the chance

So anybody else got stories of amazingly poor professionalism to share?
I refer you to thread Shorts and Flip-Flops: Shorts and Flip-Flops.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen plenty of umpires wearing cell phones on their belts, and it's happening with greater frequency. Now, I'm a rather young umpire, and I'm rather "in" with the tech crowd (running my own servers at home, drooling over the latest Crackberry, etc.). However, my brand new cell phone goes straight into my bag before I start my umpiring duties.

There's nothing that I'm aware of in the ASA book regarding this, but this is just common sense and professionalism. There's nothing in the book that says you can't cartwheel into your positions, either, nor is there anything that says you can't sacrifice live chickens between innings in the appropriate holding position. It shouldn't HAVE to say that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've carried my cell into games in the past for the sole purpose of keeping time on the game. If the game isn't being played under a time limit of any kind, the phone stays in the equip. bag. ALWAYS.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBLUE
I've carried my cell into games in the past for the sole purpose of keeping time on the game. If the game isn't being played under a time limit of any kind, the phone stays in the equip. bag. ALWAYS.
The only times I'd ever carry a phone onto the field are if A) I'm it - there's no field supervisor or scorekeeper to call 911 (and in the case of some injuries, every second counts) or B) Oops, I forgot. In the case of B, I try to find a good time to put it into my bag, or I turn it completely off and keep it in my ball bag.

Then again, my phone isn't exactly cheap, and I don't have insurance on it with my carrier. All efforts are made to keep it off the field.

If you're expected to keep the official time, my advice is to put a cheap watch in your pocket or ball bag. A $5 watch is cheaper than any cell phone out there, and is a heck of a lot easier to replace.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

After an umpire used his cell phone on the field and was clipping it back on his belt a fan screamed: I hope that call was to either 411 or 911 because as an umpire you need a lot of help!

I chuckled for several innings.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I was once watching a tournament that my DD was playing in where every half inning the umpires would both step outside the gate on the first base side and have a smoke. Extremely unprofessional. Then, in the middle of the third inning, the BU walked up the hill, smoke fuming away, to the bathroom. And when I say walked, I mean took his friggin' time. He got back in time to see the last out of the third made.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a partner tell me in the fifth inning of the second of three games that he had to go pick up his wife from the airport (after taking the call in his cell between innings). I had to call game 3 by myself.

He was never scheduled again.

Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

I once heard this story about an umpire that was working with some schmuck of an umpire who talked on his cell while working the base... and the other PU actually plotted with some 14U catcher to sell him down the river.

It was a pretty shoddy unprofessional pair of umpires.

Thats my story.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

I've seen a new (college student) umpire stop texting, make a weak out call, then finish texting! but the strangest was the guy who was eating BBQ ribs in between innings at the backstop wall! ribs, stew, slaw, beans and all!

cpa, this was one of those "off-brand" GA leagues, the one that does the "King of the Mountain" and such.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

14U Town ball.

Plate ump in flip flops, cut offs, t shirt, baloon protector and a Quarter Pounder at the back stop for between innings enjoyment.

My complaints earned me the UIC job. But now ALL town ball games (8U to 17U) have uniformed registered umps.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
I'll give my opinion on your mechanics. By starting the game and "obliging" him, you agreed that his cell use was OK. You both are at fault, and both looked bad.
When he waved at you to continue the game, you should've shook your head NO, and waited until he got the message. If it wasnt getting thru, call him in, meet halfway, and inform that the game wont start until.....
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Is it ok, when doing the bases, to take bites of my Subway sandwich between pitches as long as I keep it in my ball bag during the action?
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Is it ok, when doing the bases, to take bites of my Subway sandwich between pitches as long as I keep it in my ball bag during the action?
as long as you do not herd goats behind second base because they might not get off the field in the one minute between innings and we could have to have obstruction on the goats.... that might be a tough call to sell....

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
That would be a definate yes. If you're chasing that bite with a sip from an adult beverage, make sure when you remove it from your ball bag that the container is covered with a brown paper bag.