The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Ok, I've seen it all now - yesterday during my daughter's 18-U A-level fastpitch game, the field umpire was sucking on a lollipop while out on the field. At one point, he spent almost 2 minutes trying to unlodge the thing from the stick, and in my opinion was paying no attention to the game. I was very offended as it's not very professional, and potentially dangerous. I did go speak to the tournament director and the head ump and said "Since when are umpires allowed to suck lollipops while on the field?" They both were very suprised and said they'd talk to him.

What is the consensous out there? Did I do the right thing?
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
I was very offended
I don't know why you were offended. If you were the coach, you have a right to be annoyed. But offended?
Quote:
it's not very professional,
I disagree. It is not professional at all. As much as you overstate the "offended" part, you understate the "not professional" part. He was showing no respect to the game, the players, the coaches, and to his "profession."
Quote:
and potentially dangerous.
Well, he is (presumably) an adult. It's his risk to himself. I don't see it as a danger to anyone else.
Quote:
I did go speak to the tournament director and the head ump ... Did I do the right thing?
Yes, if you were the coach. No if you weren't... It's the coach's job to handle this. But, even if you were a fan, it you handled it nicely & didn't overplay the whining, the umpire in question needed to get talked to, so in the end, good presumably happened.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Rebuttal

Ok, I used the "offended" term, because I am a basketball official, and just thought that it makes umpires in general, and in fact, any official in any sport, just not look very professional. Especially for a group that seems to really pride themselves on how professional they are, and how they try to do the best job they can.

Last week I posted a message on here, about how people in our state are complaining about how bad the umpires are, and I got very "offended" by the parent that posted it on a website that all the kids go to and see. The tournament director from the tournament that she was complaining about jumped on there and posted that if there is ever anything that we see that we don't agree to, that we are always welcome to talk to the tournament director or the head umpire at the particular tournament, so that's why I did what I did.

My issue with the safety is partly for his protection, but also with the all the kids on the field that might have to witness a grown man choking to death on a lollipop!

So maybe it wasn't my place, but we had been invited to provide feedback, so I did. Rather than have people talk about it behind my back, I would want to know.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Kris3333,
Like all of our calls, it's a judgment thing.
I won't make that call.
mick
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 03:26pm
Administrator

Besides officiating H.S. and college basketball I officiate H.S. soccer, baseball, and fastpitch softball (ASA and USSSA too). We have two sons (ages 13 and 10), that play basketball, baseball, swimming, and diving (10 yr old son only).

Kriss, I am with you 100%. You handled it correctly. You did not contact the official in anyway and contacted the two people in charge of the tournament.

Our son's basketball and baseball teams play in leagues sponsored by the Toledo Park and Rec. Dept. and they hire people right off the street to officiate and umpire. The person who assigns these people does not care. At least you found an UIC who listened to you in a professional manner and attempted to do something about the umpire.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I personally don't see where it would cause him not to be able to concentrate nor see the safety problem.
a. Umpires concentrate all the time while cracking sunflower seeds and eating the seeds while spitting the shells. (I can't concentrate when doing that, so I don't.)
b. The ball hitting him in the mouth is probably going to break as many teeth with or without the candy.

That being said, if you felt it was unprofessional then I think you did the right thing by bringing it to the tournament director's attention. That will give him or her the chance to evaluate the situation. Different organizations expect different attitudes from their officials.

Our UIC at the LL field will take a camera on the bases with him and has been known to (after telling the catcher and batter not to swing at the next pitch becuase it does not count) will go sit in the stands next to a complaining parent and make the call from the bleachers. The parents and kids all love him. His complaint to me is that I won't loosen up because I wouldn't do a "Leslie Neilson / Naked Gun" strike mechanic in the Allstar game.

It takes all kinds.