View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris3333
What is the consensous out there? Did I do the right thing?
I personally don't see where it would cause him not to be able to concentrate nor see the safety problem.
a. Umpires concentrate all the time while cracking sunflower seeds and eating the seeds while spitting the shells. (I can't concentrate when doing that, so I don't.)
b. The ball hitting him in the mouth is probably going to break as many teeth with or without the candy.

That being said, if you felt it was unprofessional then I think you did the right thing by bringing it to the tournament director's attention. That will give him or her the chance to evaluate the situation. Different organizations expect different attitudes from their officials.

Our UIC at the LL field will take a camera on the bases with him and has been known to (after telling the catcher and batter not to swing at the next pitch becuase it does not count) will go sit in the stands next to a complaining parent and make the call from the bleachers. The parents and kids all love him. His complaint to me is that I won't loosen up because I wouldn't do a "Leslie Neilson / Naked Gun" strike mechanic in the Allstar game.

It takes all kinds.