The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Rules of the Week

ASA SP "rules":

- runner may be off the base before the pitch if there is batted ball risk

- teams may play short handed when the missing player was ejected

- the ball is not in play when held by the pitcher while on the pitching plate (until released)

- it is not a rule if not called earlier in the season

trivial, but at least softball
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
ASA SP "rules":

- teams may play short handed when the missing player was ejected

- the ball is not in play when held by the pitcher while on the pitching plate (until released)

- it is not a rule if not called earlier in the season

trivial, but at least softball
One weekend of slow pitch and all of a sudden, he's an expert
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Some people have very vivid and active imaginations. How else can we describe where they get this stuff?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This one is actually written into the local rules of one of the leagues I work.

Another one:

- if the ball would land on the grass, it can't be an infield fly.

- the fielder has the right to be in the runner's way if they are waiting to catch a thrown ball.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of playing short handed, at nationals this year had a team that for whatever reason was playing all their pool games short a player. In all 3 of his games he pitched a fit that the missing batter was no different than a batting out of order and had to be caught by the defense and appealed before the next pitch.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ASA SP "rules":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This one is actually written into the local rules of one of the leagues I work.
This one gets me. I think it is one pretty dumb rule and absolutely biased against the defense.

As the runner on the base, it is YOUR team mate that is hitting the ball, not the other team. Any perceived danger or risk is created by those seeking relief. Not staying in contact with the base is no more dangerous to the runner than if s/he is standing 10' off the line in foul territory. If you lack the reaction time and the ball is heading in your direction, you are in danger no matter where you are standing.

The only thing accomplished by allowing the runner to leave the base is to give his team mate a wider range in which to hit a fair ball without the fear of putting their own runner out for INT.

I would suggest we just change the damn game to Home Run Derby, but then all the AAs would whine about the need to move the fences closer.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Speaking of playing short handed, at nationals this year had a team that for whatever reason was playing all their pool games short a player. In all 3 of his games he pitched a fit that the missing batter was no different than a batting out of order and had to be caught by the defense and appealed before the next pitch.
Well, he would like me then. I'm not big on tracking the batters, but when a team goes shorthanded, I make a mental note of the previous batter and make it a matter of routine to check my line up card and make sure I'm aware when the slot is due to bat.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
this one is actually written into the local rules of one of the leagues i work.

Another one:

- if the ball would land on the grass, it can't be an infield fly.

- the fielder has the right to be in the runner's way if they are waiting to catch a thrown ball.
LRAMBF :d
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, he would like me then. I'm not big on tracking the batters, but when a team goes shorthanded, I make a mental note of the previous batter and make it a matter of routine to check my line up card and make sure I'm aware when the slot is due to bat.
Thats exactly what I did. I had watched him argue it in his 1st game so I knew what was coming. In the pregame I noted the missing batter and explained to him it would be an automatic out. He tried to argue it then but I shut him down and explained it is not an appeal situation, the rule book specifically states when playing short handed the missing batter is an automatic out. I noted the batters number listed last and every time I saw her at bat I would ring up another out after her.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats exactly what I did. I had watched him argue it in his 1st game so I knew what was coming. In the pregame I noted the missing batter and explained to him it would be an automatic out. He tried to argue it then but I shut him down and explained it is not an appeal situation, the rule book specifically states when playing short handed the missing batter is an automatic out. I noted the batters number listed last and every time I saw her at bat I would ring up another out after her.
Just out of curiosity, did he have anyone on the bench? Is he aware they are not eligible to play if he is running shorthanded? (Assuming ASA)
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

For whatever reason he was missing players on opening day of the tournament and only had 8 to play.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For whatever reason he was missing players on opening day of the tournament and only had 8 to play.
Unbelieveable. I guess it would have been the tournament's fault if a player was injured and they had to forfeit their games.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
....Not staying in contact with the base is no more dangerous to the runner than if s/he is standing 10' off the line in foul territory....
When the players choose to invoke this rule, my observations have been that the ball is usually hit closer to them than if they had stayed on the base in the first place.....then they yell at their teammate for hitting the ball there....
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just got mine...

Here's one for 10U hybrid player/coach pitch. When the coach is pitching:

The Coach/Pitcher must have 1 foot in contact with the pitching rubber not having 1 foot in contact will result in a dead ball illegal pitch as per ASA Rules.

Mehhh, what? If the coach pitches without having a foot on the pitcher's plate (nevermind that they called it the "rubber"), we advance the runners? Really?

9. Pitcher MUST have control of the ball in the pitching circle before the ball will be ruled dead by the umpire.

Um ... why am I ruling the ball dead at all? After explaining the LBR, didn't they just invalidate all that if we're calling it dead?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
9. Pitcher MUST have control of the ball in the pitching circle before the ball will be ruled dead by the umpire.

Um ... why am I ruling the ball dead at all? After explaining the LBR, didn't they just invalidate all that if we're calling it dead?
This one I like and would support whole-heartedly.