The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I recently read with interest the long post/threads dealing with the size of the strike zone. This is not in the same vein. I am interested in knowing whether any of you are experiencing what I am; a blatent questioning of the zone by pitchers, catchers and batters at all age levels.

Lets say for the sake of argument that I am Mr. Consistent. Whatever age level I'm doing (anywhere from 9-10 to womens fastpitch) the zone is the same 1st pitch to last. Here is a short list of player reactions to various calls over the last couple of weeks.

a. Called strike. Batter turns around and calmly says "that was high blue".

b. Called ball. Belt high. Barely inside, but inside. Pitcher looks in and says "can I ask where that one was?"

c. Called ball. Low. Catcher, without looking around, says loudly "oh my God!"

d. Called strike. Coach yells at batter " you might as well swing. He's going to call a strike anyway.

Etc., etc., etc. No rhyme or reason. No bad pattern on my part( remember, I'm Mr. Consistent for this argument.) No coach or player tossed at this point. Each incident was handled with a warning and no further complaints. But I'm starting to see this almost every night. I have no problems with ugly faces, exasperated looks, hands thrown in the air. It's the constant verbal quipping that bugs me.

Am I too sensitive? Am I getting old? Does anyone else sense a change in what players think they're allowed to say?

Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
I recently read with interest the long post/threads dealing with the size of the strike zone. This is not in the same vein. I am interested in knowing whether any of you are experiencing what I am; a blatent questioning of the zone by pitchers, catchers and batters at all age levels.

Lets say for the sake of argument that I am Mr. Consistent. Whatever age level I'm doing (anywhere from 9-10 to womens fastpitch) the zone is the same 1st pitch to last. Here is a short list of player reactions to various calls over the last couple of weeks.

For a midget, but you are not a midget

Quote:
b. Called ball. Belt high. Barely inside, but inside. Pitcher looks in and says "can I ask where that one was?"
Sure, but I will not answer.

Quote:
The way she is throwing, I can't blame you for praying, but I suggest you throw the ball back to the pitcher before I call a ball on the batter.

Quote:
d. Called strike. Coach yells at batter " you might as well swing. He's going to call a strike anyway.
What a novel idea, actually trying to strike the ball with the bat! What will you think of next, coach?

Quote:
Etc., etc., etc. No rhyme or reason. No bad pattern on my part( remember, I'm Mr. Consistent for this argument.) No coach or player tossed at this point. Each incident was handled with a warning and no further complaints. But I'm starting to see this almost every night. I have no problems with ugly faces, exasperated looks, hands thrown in the air. It's the constant verbal quipping that bugs me.

Am I too sensitive? Am I getting old? Does anyone else sense a change in what players think they're allowed to say?
Of course, I'm being facetious. However, speaking ASA, if you are tired of hearing the ball/strike crap, simply walk over to the manager and invoke rule 4.9.B and remind him/her that the penalty for anything YOU consider arguing a ball or strike call will result in the ejection of that team member. Remind him/her that YOU consider any questioning or comments referring to a ball or strike call as arguing, in YOUR judgment.

You might also remind the manager/coach that since it is their responsibility to control his/her players and coaches (4.8.A), that if YOU consider him/her failing to achieve that goal, there is no need for YOU to allow them to remain in the game. Hence, if you cannot determine who is making questionable comments, the manager/coach isn't doing their job and just as well go sit in the parking lot.

In Delaware over the past 20 years, umpires have done everything they can to keep players and coaches in the game including ignoring extremely rude and disparaging remarks. The problem is that the coaches and players now believe anything is permitted. I routinely tell umpires to not allow themselves to be abused and to dump a participant if, in their judgment, they have gone too far in their actions. Do not offer ultimatums (i.e. "if I hear one more thing", "another word and your gone", etc.) or "warnings". If they cross the line, let them trip on it.

JMHO,

Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Anti-sensitivity training

These jerks' remarks are undermining your confidence. They are at least partially succeeding because (a) they're hammering away so relentlessly hoping to find a weak point, and (b) said weak point is that you are inwardly worried that you aren't really Mr. Consistent as you wish you could present yourself.

To minimize the influence of these remarks and your tendency to toss players too quickly for them, you need a rock-solid image of yourself as a consistent ball-strike caller. This requires enough practice and schooling so that you KNOW inwardly you're always right. When you know that, your self-image will be so secure that the jerks can't get you. Then you can concentrate on only bouncing people who too publicly challenge your authority (say, perhaps, the catcher in "c" that said "Oh my God") but not the others who were more civilly stating their opinions. I don't believe that we Americans forfeit the right to our opinions just because we're on a softball field, so I typically let whoever it is say whatever they feel ONCE, then we go on -- unless it's personally insulting, combative, or too much a public challenge to the umpire's authority. It could be said of me that I take too much crap from players, but I agree with your premise that it's too prevalent these days.

If I'm not perfect in my iron will, and their nonstop B.S. comments begin to bug me, I'll stop the game and very obviously call forth at least one or perhaps both managers, and tell him/her/them that I've had enough public display about balls and strikes and that the unwarned ejections are about to start. The managers usually can read a 'stop' sign even if the players can't, and the smart@sses get disciplined toot sweet. (If the manager is part of the problem, that's a slightly more serious matter, but the principle is the same.) NSA has a nice rule that I have yet to enforce that if anyone but the batter, pitcher or catcher leaves their position to argue balls or strikes, they're immediately ejected. Hey, you've gotta play by the rules. Coach, I had no choice, it's in the book.

Always keep in your mind the unshakable self-image of yourself as the World's Greatest Umpire. Even if you kick a call (and you will, we all do), if you don't act like you screwed up a lot of people won't notice it, or will come to not believe what they once thought they saw differently. So just put doubts or errors behind you and concentrate on playing the next play and doing your best from this point forward.

When challenged, keep within reach the umpire's best attitudinal friend, an impassiveness which I call The Iron Mask of Indifference. If a player comes up to you raising hell and you don't get visibly angry back, and just stare through him as if you're at most faintly hearing a voice from the planet Lumpygravy, the player will be the one who comes off looking stupid, every time. This is incredibly hard to do but ALWAYS successful, even if the player is aggravated to the point of physical agitation (in which case the stakes are VERY high and you MUST calm him down, and this is the very best way).

This iron transcendence, backed by your perfect rock-solid self-image as W.G.U., is a mental state that has served me well and I bet will help you get over this heightened sensitivity.
"The only person who knows the location of the 'strike zone' is the 'umpire', and he refuses to reveal it...the umpire communicates solely by making ambiguous hand gestures and shouting something that sounds like 'HROOOOT!' which he refuses to explain." -- Dave Barry
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: pardon double post following this

Quote:
Originally posted by KentuckyBlue
computer froze at send, didn't know it went twice. Sorry.
Mine did the same thing. We must have hit the submit button at the same time.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

strike zone:am I too sensitve?

The first time I hear a coach or a player question a ball or strike call I give them a warning. I tell them that comments about my strike zone will be considered arguing and that arguing the strike zone is a violation of the rules. If this violation continues I will take further action. So far after making this statement I haven't had any further comments about the strike zone.

Michael
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I'll play the devil's advocate. I'm not defending the verbal quips by any means, I think they should be warned for arguing balls and strikes.

I did notice early on that the more strikes I called the less argument I got. I'm not talking about calling a strike on a pitch that everybody in the park knows is a ball, but the ones that are a few inches inside or outside I give them. Everybody expects that to be called a strike unless you're calling NCAA ball or higher, and even then they expect a little on the corners.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Re: pardon double post following this

Quote:
Originally posted by KentuckyBlue
computer froze at send, didn't know it went twice. Sorry.
Try deleting one of them. Click on Edit/Delete and the check the Delete box and submit.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

More strikes

As is 'more outs,' 'more strikes' is a good thing. More strike calls make for more active batters and a more entertaining game for fans as well as the coaches and players because there is more activity going on and therefore less opportunity for confrontation/frustration.

It took awhile but I also learned (or taught myself) that all comments were not directed at me. When the coach yells "that's a great pitch," "we gotta have that one," or "good location" etc... after you just called it a ball, it is not necessarily directed at you and a good pitch does not need to be, and may not have been intended to be, in the strike zone.

Isolate yourself from as much crap as you can. FOCUS. Let the garbage just blow by. If you do anything else and acknowledge their comments... you will find yourself in a confrontational situation that can only, and I do mean ONLY, get worse. Because you will want to defend yourself - and everyone else will want to defend themselves. Now instead of being the arbiter of the game, you are the opponent... not a good thing.

Umpires always win. But as the "opponent" umpire, you generally win by making personal commands (sit down, shut up, get in the dugout) and ejections. You have the authority to do this but it is not a good result.

This talk-back attitutide is not just prevalent in baseball/softball - it has become the socially acceptable way to interact with those around you. A terrible misdirection that I feel has resulted from taking 'rights' for oneself rather than giving or affording them to others. It's a personal peeve of mine - the proper way to interact in society is to give and afford personal rights to other people, not demand those rights for yourself (at the expense of those around you).

I think I've exceeded my two bits...

Peace, and call as many strikes as you can - while being consistent.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

DownTownTonyBrown,
As a coach, a fan, and a father of a soon to be college player, I want to commend you for your statements. In my view, they were right on and excellent advise for both umpires and coaches to follow. Many fan and coach comments which may seem directed at officials are actually a means by which we show support for our players and are not meant to be confrontational.
Play Ball.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Although I try to call as many strikes as possible, I do have a problem with an umpire that calls a pitch 6" off the plate a "strike" no matter how consistently they call it. The defensive team loves a wide strike zone but they're not as enthusiastic when batting under those same conditions. The defensive team also loves an umpire that looks the other way on illegal pitches but gripes about the opponent's pitcher. I love the coaches and fans that remark "let the girls play" until the other team does something against the rules or gets a beneficial call. "Consistently bad" is still bad no matter how you try to justify it.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Too sensitive? Remember, 100% of the calls you make are going to make 50% of the crowd unhappy! I always mention at pre-game, balls/strikes safes/outs are the umpires, we will not argue. That is my warning, no more. As for the comments, most can be overlooked, may be hard but it can be done. I had a cute little catcher once who wouldnt say anything, but she would wipe off outside corner of plate. After two or three times I said to her, "you ain't gonna make it any bigger" she just grinned, and kept wiping, every so often. Another called third strike, heard moans and groans from bench, coach asked player "where was THAT one?" She replied "right down the middle, I just froze!" The bench got quiet! I enjoy hearing some of the comments, like "How many of these are your kids blue" but its usually very clear when the line is crossed, and thats when I will bow up, and stop it. I honestly don't hear most of what is said, I am focused on the plays, and tend to ignore alot. I also have been on the other side of the fence, so I know the feeling! I try always to never let the comments influence my calls, or to take it out on the players.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy

Each incident was handled with a warning and no further complaints.
Much depends, IMO, on the overall attitude, not just the comments. Comments about balls and strikes are part of the game. I'm talking about "comments" not "arguing." I think we are being too sensitive if we want total silence from the players / coaches / (and especially) the fans about the judgment calls we make.

Notice the final statement that I exerpted from your post... if you issued no warning and there were no further complaints, then you acted properly, IMO.

OTOH, if a. and c. were from the same player (once while at bat, the other while catching), then an immediate warning to the catcher after c. would be in order - something to the effect of "Catcher, if you want to see the end of this game, you'd better get control of yourself."

Also, attitude comes into play. If the pitcher in b. has shown no tendancy to show me up, I might take her request at face value and say quietly to the catcher, "Catcher, the pitch was inside. She needs to hit the corner to get the call." While I am not obligated to say this, and some would say I shouldn't say it, I believe (particularly with the youth players which I call exclusively), it lets them know what they need to do.

OTOH, if this pitcher was obviously trying to show me up, then an immediate warning is in order (first offense) and ejection for further outbursts. (Again, I'm talking youth players.)

Of your examples, d. is the only one that would trigger an immediate reaction from me. A coach yelling loudly such a statement is obviously trying to show me up or intimidate me. My action would range from standing up, taking my mask of, and giving the coach "the look" (VERY effective, I have found), to a verbal warning, to an ejection if this was a second offense. Again, with youth teams, I try very hard to keep the coach in the game - but he can eject himself.

I agree with DTTB's comments that many times the coaches are giving the players (especially the pitcher) encouragement, rather than arguing balls and strikes. If she is having a hard time hitting the zone, they want her to know how "close" she is & to keep trying. Or, as Tony said, a "good pitch" is many times an off-speed or drop pitch or some such that was intended to get the batter to swing rather than get a called strike.

Anyway, long-winded I know, but those are some of my thoughts.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I'm glad someone else mentioned the "death stare", or as someone said the other day, the "wife look".
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Too sensitive? Remember, 100% of the calls you make are going to make 50% of the crowd unhappy! I always mention at pre-game, balls/strikes safes/outs are the umpires, we will not argue. That is my warning, no more. As for the comments, most can be overlooked, may be hard but it can be done. I had a cute little catcher once who wouldnt say anything, but she would wipe off outside corner of plate. After two or three times I said to her, "you ain't gonna make it any bigger" she just grinned, and kept wiping, every so often. Another called third strike, heard moans and groans from bench, coach asked player "where was THAT one?" She replied "right down the middle, I just froze!" The bench got quiet! I enjoy hearing some of the comments, like "How many of these are your kids blue" but its usually very clear when the line is crossed, and thats when I will bow up, and stop it. I honestly don't hear most of what is said, I am focused on the plays, and tend to ignore alot. I also have been on the other side of the fence, so I know the feeling! I try always to never let the comments influence my calls, or to take it out on the players.
I think some of you know me well enough by now to figure out the things I object to in this post and the one I strongly support.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Cecilone, I dont know you well enough, you gotta be more specific.