The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 10, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Why do we need uniformity through some sort of guidelines in the book? Umpires already vary in their judgments when it comes to rain, cold, darkness, etc. Some umpires will stop the game the moment it starts to rain, and others will keep playing until there are actual puddles on the field.

If ASA were to try to come up with certain standardized guidelines, that would open the door for abuse, IMHO. Suppose the book says "In timed games, clocks should stop when an injury requires intervention by emergency personnel." Don't you think head coaches are going to force the umpire's hand by demanding a trainer come onto the field to tend to a runner who suddenly "hurt" her ankle while sliding?

I don't have a problem leaving it up to the umpire to decide, through his/her game management skills, when time should and should not stop.
^^^^^This.......

In well over two thousand games......I think I have stopped the clock 4-5 times. Many others due to weather....but that is a different thread.

All of them involved broken bones.

The judgement is ours.....just like a banger at 1st base. I am damn sure not stopping the clock for any of the following.....

...Routine injury
...Player substitution
...Player needing to tie her shoes*
...Legal time out
...Coach questioning a call
...Kid having to go to the bathroom

*If I think a coach is calling time to stall by having a player tie their shoes......I tell all the players to check their shoes.....no more time outs given after then.

Joel
Old Fri Aug 10, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The issue is that softball is a game that is designed NOT to have a clock.

Time limits were introduced to keep tournaments on time. How many of you have been to an ASA national tournament where a time limit was used?
Me! Clock is allowed in pool play. For that matter, a TD can initiate the use of a clock anytime they deem it necessary to complete the tournament.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

in my local league we have to stop the clock for ANY time out if there are under 5 minutes remaining - HATE IT!

we forget alot :-)
Old Sat Aug 11, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Time Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
By 'Code' only 'B' Nationals can have a time limit in effect for Bracket Play. (however some 'A' divisions have a time limit for pool play) But that is really not the point. The point is that there can be and are time limits in 'championship Play' for all J.O. Divisions (including GOLD) when it come to National Qualifier Tournaments. whether you are I agree or disagree as to the merits of a time limits really is not the issue. As now, time limits are a fact of ASA Championship Play. That being said, and like Bretman stated, its the lack of uniformity and even rules citing is a problem.

There is a time limit for all play in 10U A Nationals. 1:40.