The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
You weren't the only one that doesn't do college out there. I know of at least two others that do not umpire college ball that were there!
I'm trying to figure out the relevance of whether the umpire works college ball or not.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm trying to figure out the relevance of whether the umpire works college ball or not.
ditto
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
That appears to be one fine plate umpire.
I just wish "mask on" came before "step in".

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Jul 30, 2012 at 12:02pm.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As am I....just was clarifying that not all the umpires there umpired college there were a couple ASA/FED guys hiding there!
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a statement made about "holding zones." As was relayed by the staff, when all three umpires are "in" (meaning no umpire chased), there "is no holding zone" (the quotes here reflect an actual quote). Therefore, (as not demonstrated in the video) with no runners on or a runner on first: on a base hit, the PU trails the BR, then should take a position at third. No holding zone, just calling position.

NCAA mechanics allow the PU to utilize the holding zone in front of the circle for the same play.

Last edited by Big Slick; Mon Jul 30, 2012 at 03:03pm.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a statement made about "holding zones." As was relayed by the staff, when all three umpires are "in" (meaning no umpire chased), there "is no holding zone" (the quotes here reflect an actual quote). Therefore, (as not demonstrated in the video) with no runners on or a runner on first: on a base hit, the PU trails the BR, then should take a position at third. No holding zone, just calling position.

NCAA mechanics allow the PU to utilize the holding zone in front of the circle for the same play.
What about the "route" getting there, through the RHB or left of catcher?
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
What about the "route" getting there, through the RHB or left of catcher?
That's also an "NCAA thing" as it doesn't matter. I can assure you this plate umpire is getting on with age and has lost a step or two (but can cut quite the rug under the right circumstances). ASA's clarified position is not through any particular batter's box, just to the left of the catcher. If the catcher moves up the line, you could go through the RHBB.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's also an "NCAA thing" as it doesn't matter. I can assure you this plate umpire is getting on with age and has lost a step or two (but can cut quite the rug under the right circumstances). ASA's clarified position is not through any particular batter's box, just to the left of the catcher. If the catcher moves up the line, you could go through the RHBB.
Well, to me, the RHBB is just a matter of some lines in the dirt and is more of an issue in SP than fast. I think the key is to avoid getting caught up with the catcher, or as a snappy rug-cutter, the batter-runner leaving the plate area.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

What am I missing ... the RHBB IS to the left of the catcher...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
What am I missing ... the RHBB IS to the left of the catcher...

But so is the plate and LHBB if the catcher is chasing the runner.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

They seem to be the ones who have issues with asa 's way of doing things. I guess i made an jack without realizing it.

One of the guys bit his tongue as he went to the three umpire mechanic manual and says it reads holding zone a few times. He even stated the words are use in the dad in the3 pump section.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Good not to be the lone wolf
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
They seem to be the ones who have issues with asa 's way of doing things. I guess i made an jack without realizing it.

One of the guys bit his tongue as he went to the three umpire mechanic manual and says it reads holding zone a few times. He even stated the words are use in the dad in the3 pump section.
From the ASA February Clarifications:

Umpire Manual Fixes
In the 2012 Umpire Manual there is a wording mistake in the Three Umpire System in a few sections. These are, with a runner on 2B only, 1B and 2B, 2B and 3B and Bases Loaded in the sections of Ground Ball to the Infield, and Base Hit to the Outfield. The verbiage used in the Umpire Manual for the movement of the Plate Umpire in these situations is “Move out from behind the plate toward the “holding zone” in foul ground and read the play. As we all know there is no holding zone in a Three Umpire System so the wording could be misleading. It was originally used to describe the plate umpire moving out toward 3B or what we refer to as the holding zone. In these situations the DVD says, “The Plate Umpire should move out from behind the plate and read the play.” These are the words that will be changed in the 2013 Umpire Manual.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, to me, the RHBB is just a matter of some lines in the dirt and is more of an issue in SP than fast. I think the key is to avoid getting caught up with the catcher, or as a snappy rug-cutter, the batter-runner leaving the plate area.
To me, the only distinction is that a lot of clinicians (yep, me included) urge umpires to go to the left around the RHBB; NOT because you might interfere with the catcher, but because batters often dig enough out of the batters' box to leave a hole where the PU can turn an ankle.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2012, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
To me, the only distinction is that a lot of clinicians (yep, me included) urge umpires to go to the left around the RHBB; NOT because you might interfere with the catcher, but because batters often dig enough out of the batters' box to leave a hole where the PU can turn an ankle.
You mean your fields aren't perfect, either? Yes, in that case a wider route is even available, but IMO never at the cost of not seeing the play which is why I don't have a problem coming across the plate, IF NECESSARY.