The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Need Help Explaining This

One of my umpires called me with a situation yesterday and wants to see somthing in the rules that covers this:

ASA rules - Team A is using the DP/FLEX option. In the third inning, DP enters the game on defense as the pitcher, the FLEX is playing another defensive position and the starting pitcher goes to the bench, but is still in the batting order.

DP (pitcher of record) comes up to bat, gets on base, coach requests a Courtesy Runner. I tell my umpire that this is legal.

He insists that the FLEX can only enter on offense for the DP, which is correct, but he is saying that precludes the use of a CR for a DP pitcher. So, he thinks that the only way the DP can be replaced on offense is by the FLEX.

How do I explain it to him, using the rules, that it is OK to have a CR for a DP pitcher?
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 11:08am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
How do I explain it to him, using the rules, that it is OK to have a CR for a DP pitcher?
ASA 8-10-E says a CR cannot be used if the DP is batting for the pitcher. It does not say a CR cannot be used if the DP is in the game as the pitcher.

Per ASA 8-10-A-1, the CR can run for the pitcher of record. So in your situation, she can run for the DP who is pitching, and not for the previous pitcher who is now only playing offense.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
One of my umpires called me with a situation yesterday and wants to see somthing in the rules that covers this:

ASA rules - Team A is using the DP/FLEX option. In the third inning, DP enters the game on defense as the pitcher, the FLEX is playing another defensive position and the starting pitcher goes to the bench, but is still in the batting order.

DP (pitcher of record) comes up to bat, gets on base, coach requests a Courtesy Runner. I tell my umpire that this is legal.

He insists that the FLEX can only enter on offense for the DP, which is correct, but he is saying that precludes the use of a CR for a DP pitcher. So, he thinks that the only way the DP can be replaced on offense is by the FLEX.

As Manny said " CR can run for the pitcher of record". The situation is the DP player doing an allowed thing, playing defense for another player who is not the FLEX and does all that the other player's position involves including the CR. The FLEX has nothing to do with this, just the DP player and the replaced pitcher.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would stay away from the term DP Pitcher

Quote:

There is no such thing as a DP Pitcher. There is a DP who happens to be playing pitcher. I know it's splitting hairs. But when you say DP Pitcher it makes it sound like she is in a separate category of pitchers. She's not. A pitcher is a pitcher. It does not matter that she was originally listed as the DP. For a pitcher or catcher to qualify for a CR all she has to do is be the last to play that position and earn her way on base. That applies in your scenario. She was the last to play the position and she earned her way on base.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
For a pitcher or catcher to qualify for a CR all she has to do is be the last to play that position and earn her way on base. That applies in your scenario. She was the last to play the position and she earned her way on base.
As long as you are splitting hairs, stay away from the phrase "earn her way on base". That restarts the whole "You can't have a courtesy runner for the runner placed on second in a tie-break inning because she didn't earn her way on" argument.

If either pitcher or catcher of record is on base (in any circumstance OTHER than FLEX running for DP), then she is eligible for a courtesy runner.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I borrowed that phrase from FED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
As long as you are splitting hairs, stay away from the phrase "earn her way on base". That restarts the whole "You can't have a courtesy runner for the runner placed on second in a tie-break inning because she didn't earn her way on" argument.

If either pitcher or catcher of record is on base (in any circumstance OTHER than FLEX running for DP), then she is eligible for a courtesy runner.
Steve,

I got that phrase from the FED rule book. Rule 8-9-2.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Steve,

I got that phrase from the FED rule book. Rule 8-9-2.
Yep!! And the year NFHS added that wording, then NFHS had to issue an approved ruling clarifying the poorly written rule, instead of fixing the wording.

I would still avoid anything inherently contradictory to the rule, even in this case.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Yeah, it is sometimes hard to explain "earning her way on base" by "being the ninth scheduled batter".
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Yeah, it is sometimes hard to explain "earning her way on base" by "being the ninth scheduled batter".
Maybe she earned her way on base by striking out last inning!
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Andy,
I'd probably turn this back to your umpire and tell him to prove his stance is legal, according to the rules.