The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2012, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

I was spectating on this play

Was watching a friend of mines kid's game 14U the other day. I was sitting behind the plate a little over to the 3b side, so I had a nice view of the Right Field Line. When the following play happened, thankfully noone was hurt.

No one on, no out. Batter hits a slow dribbler to F5. F3 had taken to the homeplate facing side of first for the angle and based on the call would have been in contact with WHITE.

F5's throw is strong and up the line and outside. It seemed that the location of the catch and momentum of the catch forces F3's lead foot and come across the fair/foul line and past the white/orange separation of the safety bag (so she is completely blocking 1B both side of bag) but still in contact with white. The batter is bearing down on 1b and we have a collision.

BU comes up with the out. Cant hear the discussion between the BU and the HC who is coaching 1st (crowd noise). EVERYONE is screaming for the OBS and I am assuming so is the coach. . .I tell my friend there is no obstruction, there is a play being made and that some collisions cant be avoided. Parents arent liking my observation

As its being explained on the bench, the BR on the collision only touched white. The mother of the kid said her daughter thought F3 was going to end up on orange. The coach wanted OBS and questioned the possible safety issues on the play.

Based on this I would also have an out by 8.2.M.9.

Last edited by justcallmeblue; Tue Jul 10, 2012 at 05:50am.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2012, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue View Post
Was watching a friend of mines kid's game 14U the other day. I was sitting behind the plate a little over to the 3b side, so I had a nice view of the Right Field Line. When the following play happened, thankfully noone was hurt.

No one on, no out. Batter hits a slow dribbler to F5. F3 had taken to the homeplate facing side of first for the angle and based on the call would have been in contact with WHITE.

F5's throw is strong and up the line and outside. It seemed that the location of the catch and momentum of the catch forces F3's lead foot and come across the fair/foul line and past the white/orange separation of the safety bag (so she is completely blocking 1B both side of bag) but still in contact with white. The batter is bearing down on 1b and we have a collision.

BU comes up with the out. Cant hear the discussion between the BU and the HC who is coaching 1st (crowd noise). EVERYONE is screaming for the OBS and I am assuming so is the coach. . .I tell my friend there is no obstruction, there is a play being made and that some collisions cant be avoided. Parents arent liking my observation

As its being explained on the bench, the BR on the collision only touched white. The mother of the kid said her daughter thought F3 was going to end up on orange. The coach wanted OBS and questioned the possible safety issues on the play.

Based on this I would also have an out by 8.2.M.9.
If I'm reading this correctly, there was throw, catch then collision. You noted that the BR "came bearing down" so it seems there was no hesitation by the BR prior to F3 catching the ball.

However, you are citing 8.2.M.9 which notes interference involving a fielder that has not yet caught the ball.

Can you clarify the sequence of events?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2012, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Irish. . . .that makes me wrong on what rule I would have used!! The ball was there first.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue View Post
Thanks Irish. . . .that makes me wrong on what rule I would have used!! The ball was there first.
Okay, if F3 catches and possesses the ball, there cannot be OBS unless the BR showed some effect of F3's being in the path prior to her receiving the ball.

Unless the BR acted in a harmful or malicious manner toward F3, this sounds like just an out. Makes no difference what base was touched by the offensive player as she was retired prior to reaching any portion of the base.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely Irish. . .that was my comment from the stands (wrong rule application though! lol)