The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Gifts for fellow umpires

Ok I know everyone has exchanged coins before. But I recently got into a discussion with fellow umpires and said I would ask all of you. What are some cool gifts you have given to, or received from, other umpires at Nationals?
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Ok I know everyone has exchanged coins before. But I recently got into a discussion with fellow umpires and said I would ask all of you. What are some cool gifts you have given to, or received from, other umpires at Nationals?
I don't. I have exchanged pins with some, but usually not at tournaments.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

It's a tradition to have a gift-exchange evening at out ESF-tournaments on Thursday night. Those tournaments start on Monday and have the finals on Saturday. Since we have umpires coming from allover Europe, we always give something from our home-country. A fellow umpire from the Netherlands always give "Stroopwafels", two waffles with honey in the the middle. I mostly give away a key-ring with a pair of wooden shoes ("Klompen").

(See for examples this site: Hollandwinkel.NL - Sleutelhangers, magneetjes, etc. - Geschenken en souvenirs)

From Italy I got once a bottle with Italian olive oil. From the Czech Republic a bottle with Czech beer, a German federation beer bottle opener. The very best I've received was from a Greek umpire: A softball, still in plastic, from the Olympic Games in Athens...

Lanyards are very popular right now. Even our national federation gives them away in orange with "klompen" attached.

At the Indoor Cup at Schiedam, every January, are also some USA-umpires present. Then we exchange gifts as well. Several coins, pins and T-shirts I've received from USA-umpires.

I think this tradition should be kept alive. It gives you things to remember the different tournaments you worked on...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

I can second Alex. With international Crews it is a great thing to do. We do it at ESF (European) or ISF Tournaments. And Everytime I pick up the box with the gifts I can recall the great time I have had.

Last year we were giving out bottle opener that can go on the fridge. This year - sorry Alex to spoil it for you - we are giving out calendars with umpire pics.

Raoul
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I hope the umpires kept all their clothes on for the calendar shoot.........

Looks at the ball bags on Mr. November.....YUK!
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Derek,

Good Idea for next year! Didn't you say you were gonna come to Germany? Maybe you can be the coverboy or the centre fold ;-) maybe if we put a BMW on the pic as well, your company pays for it - bad reputation for BMW?

Raoul
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach3 View Post
... Last year we were giving out bottle opener that can go on the fridge...
Yes I know; mine is on the fridge side. Use it not to much, drink more wine than beer in this season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach3 View Post
...This year - sorry Alex to spoil it for you - we are giving out calendars with umpire pics.

Raoul
Well Raoul, I do hope it isn't a pic of Thomas L. 'Cause in that case he would be giving himself away to me at Enschede Do you have a dozen lady-ump's in Germany? And were they all willing to pose???
The calender idea is a very good one... I like it, not knowing if mrs. Dutch Alex will

Remember that Niema was giving away Nurnberg beer, glass and glass-holder. Made for the German Carnaval or some kind of Bier/Oktober-fest? I think it was in 2005 at Schiedam (NL) IndoorCup...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?