The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Fastpitch in Europe??

Just found out I may be moving to Germany (Stuttgart) for a year due to work. Do they play FP softball over the pond?
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Just found out I may be moving to Germany (Stuttgart) for a year due to work. Do they play FP softball over the pond?
Yes!
In Germany they play FP softball. The way it's organised over here in Europe is completely different than with you in the USA. We don't have school competitions, but clubs witch everybody can join. The coaches and Tech.Comm. of the club decide who is playing for the 1st, 2nd, etc. team. Umpires mostly come from these clubs and stay a member of their club, even when they're moving up as umpire to highest level in the country (or beyond to ESF or ISF).

You'll be surprised how many US-girls (or young ladies) are playing in Europe.

If you're going for a military post.The US bases have often their own team('s) and competition(s).

Here are some helpfull links:

Deutscher Baseball & Softball Verband eV -*DBV
European Softball Federation | Growing Softball Throughout Europe
Koninklijke Nederlandse Baseball en Softball Bond

Stuttgart is in the south (SW) of Germany, so France, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands are all "close" by (<500km). TOP FP softball in Europe for females is played in the Netherlands and Italy. For men it's in the Czech-Republic and Denmark.
I love to see you in Holland...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Yes!
In Germany they play FP softball. The way it's organised over here in Europe is completely different than with you in the USA. We don't have school competitions, but clubs witch everybody can join. The coaches and Tech.Comm. of the club decide who is playing for the 1st, 2nd, etc. team. Umpires mostly come from these clubs and stay a member of their club, even when they're moving up as umpire to highest level in the country (or beyond to ESF or ISF).

You'll be surprised how many US-girls (or young ladies) are playing in Europe.

If you're going for a military post.The US bases have often their own team('s) and competition(s).

Here are some helpfull links:

Deutscher Baseball & Softball Verband eV -*DBV
European Softball Federation | Growing Softball Throughout Europe
Koninklijke Nederlandse Baseball en Softball Bond

Stuttgart is in the south (SW) of Germany, so France, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands are all "close" by (<500km). TOP FP softball in Europe for females is played in the Netherlands and Italy. For men it's in the Czech-Republic and Denmark.
I love to see you in Holland...
Will you translate his Alabamaese?
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Well will that be necessary? All youth in the Netherlands starts now days at 10yr with the Queens-English at school. How different can that be from "Alabamaese"?

But when he's going to Germany, he must study German! I think a view weeks with the Amish will be good for this education...
"Aber mit mir kann er auch Deutsch reden, und vielleicht etwas von mir lernen auf Deutsch..."

Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well will that be necessary? All youth in the Netherlands starts now days at 10yr with the Queens-English at school. How different can that be from "Alabamaese"?

But when he's going to Germany, he must study German! I think a view weeks with the Amish will be good for this education...
"Aber mit mir kann er auch Deutsch reden, und vielleicht etwas von mir lernen auf Deutsch..."
Alex,
His words will probably not be that much different than you've heard other Americans use. It's just the way he'll say them - the accent - that will take some getting used to.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

@derwil: I am the national UiC for Germany. If you want to umpire here, send me a PM and we can exchange mail-contacts. Depending on your Umpire-Vita and the duration of your stay we can see how we can get you involved.

Yes, we do have FP over here. We have a national league plaing in two divisions (north and south) and we have regional leagues in the federal states.
We play under ISF-Rules here.

Raoul

Last edited by mach3; Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 03:48am.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Alex,
His words will probably not be that much different than you've heard other Americans use. It's just the way he'll say them - the accent - that will take some getting used to.
Steve,
How many British folks have you heard talking their English. Or a German speaking English, even worse. Worst case is a French Frog who tries to speak English. You're lucky to only have to deal with different dialects like Alabamaese. I have multiple langue's around my little country. And they all come to see Holland in the summer. So I did what I could: Learn how to speak (and write) in English, German and French. Next on my wish-list is Italian

Derwil,
When are you scheduled (,when you do,) coming to Stuttgart?

Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Streiken Sie einen
Streik zwei
Streik drei

Ball einer
Ball zwei
Ball drei
Ball vier

safe
Draußen

These are the words you'll need to know even though most European athletes speak and understand English. I've done some international games while I was in the Navy and never had a problem with just using English. As long as you're using the mechanics that they understand, language isn't usually an issue.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Derwil,
When are you scheduled (,when you do,) coming to Stuttgart?
I have 3 trips scheduled this year; one leaving on this Sunday for 2 weeks, others this Fall for longer duration. Relocation would probably happen next year though my company is still trying to figure out what it wants to do...
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Ha!

No Drawl here....Born in California, lived everywhere but the South till I moved here 8 years ago for work. Some people exibit the assumed accent but most aren't too bad. I've seen rednecks from Michigan who sound like they're from deeper in the woods than any of the locals I've been around.