The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Asa 14 u

I saw this play, then talked to the PU for an explanantion.

R1 on 3B, 1 out. Long fly ball to F7, runner on 3B takes off on the clang of the bat. The catch was made, runner had already, apparently crossed homeplate and was on her way to dugout. Everybody starts screaming and the player (runner) hightails it back to 3B, without retouching home plate. She gets there in time. The defensive coach comes out and talks to the PU. Nothing changes. Runner remains on 3B.
After the game I ask PU what did the coach want-coach wanted runner called out for not retouching plate. PU then tells me he never saw if the player touched home the first time, because he was watching the catch-so he felt like he couldn't call her out because it's possible she missed home plate and consequently would not have had to retouch it.
I don't know if this merits discussion, but....
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I saw this play, then talked to the PU for an explanantion.

R1 on 3B, 1 out. Long fly ball to F7, runner on 3B takes off on the clang of the bat. The catch was made, runner had already, apparently crossed homeplate and was on her way to dugout. Everybody starts screaming and the player (runner) hightails it back to 3B, without retouching home plate. She gets there in time. The defensive coach comes out and talks to the PU. Nothing changes. Runner remains on 3B.
After the game I ask PU what did the coach want-coach wanted runner called out for not retouching plate. PU then tells me he never saw if the player touched home the first time, because he was watching the catch-so he felt like he couldn't call her out because it's possible she missed home plate and consequently would not have had to retouch it.
Two things here. To start, the manager is not authorized to make that appeal.

Secondly, while being honest that he did not see the original touch, he is wrong in his reasoning. In ASA ball, the runner is considered to have touched any base they pass. So, whether he saw her touch it or not coming in, if he knew she did not touch it on the way back, he should have made the out call.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Two things here. To start, the manager is not authorized to make that appeal.

Secondly, while being honest that he did not see the original touch, he is wrong in his reasoning. In ASA ball, the runner is considered to have touched any base they pass. So, whether he saw her touch it or not coming in, if he knew she did not touch it on the way back, he should have made the out call.
After the proper dead-ball appeal from an infielder?
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

All codes should change the rule and allow the head coach to make a dead ball appeal. It is ridiculous to make a 10 year old try to articulate "we are appealing that the runner who started on 3rd base did not maintain contact with the base until the ball was first touched by a defender." Nonsense.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
All codes should change the rule and allow the head coach to make a dead ball appeal. It is ridiculous to make a 10 year old try to articulate "we are appealing that the runner who started on 3rd base did not maintain contact with the base until the ball was first touched by a defender." Nonsense.
Except for 9 year old lawyers.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, "She left early" is not too hard......
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
But, "She left early" is not too hard......
The reason 10U rules are the same as every other level is because the JO coaches insisted that level was as competitive as the rest and this age group could play at the big girl level.

So, if there is a complaint from the coach, it was his peers who wanted the change.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Add to the situation ...?

... after crossing home, and from the her location near the dugout (1st base side) the runner crosses the infield (not crossing back over home plate) to return to third; throw to third is misssed and the pitcher moving to pick up the errant throw is in line with the path of the runner between dugoutout and third (no contact/runner goes around/ ball is still 10 feet away); catcher picks up ball throws to third for a base tag prior to the runner returning to third.

Offensive coach starts to yell interference (obstruction) ... interference (obstruction).... Plate ump agrees and puts runner back on 3rd.

Defensive coach points out that she didn't retouch home plate before running across the infield so, 1) There should be no obstruction & 2) she should be out for returning to third w/o retouching home.

Umpire aknowledges that she did not retouch home but does not change anything.

Was anyone correct?
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrady View Post
Add to the situation ...?

... after crossing home, and from the her location near the dugout (1st base side) the runner crosses the infield (not crossing back over home plate) to return to third; throw to third is misssed and the pitcher moving to pick up the errant throw is in line with the path of the runner between dugoutout and third (no contact/runner goes around/ ball is still 10 feet away); catcher picks up ball throws to third for a base tag prior to the runner returning to third.

Offensive coach starts to yell interference (obstruction) ... interference (obstruction).... Plate ump agrees and puts runner back on 3rd.

Defensive coach points out that she didn't retouch home plate before running across the infield so, 1) There should be no obstruction & 2) she should be out for returning to third w/o retouching home.

Umpire aknowledges that she did not retouch home but does not change anything.

Was anyone correct?
Wish I was drinking what he was drinking.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 01:30am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Wish I was drinking what he was drinking.

I think I am drinking what he is drinking. I think that DBrady is really John Madden.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jul 01, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I saw this play, then talked to the PU for an explanation.

R1 on 3B, 1 out. Long fly ball to F7, runner on 3B takes off on the clang of the bat. The catch was made, runner had already, apparently crossed home plate and was on her way to dugout. Everybody starts screaming and the player (runner) hightails it back to 3B, without retouching home plate. She gets there in time. The defensive coach comes out and talks to the PU. Nothing changes. Runner remains on 3B.
I see a live ball appeal to 3b-safe, then the DC asking for time and asking a rule interpretation. KISS.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2012, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamump View Post
I see a live ball appeal to 3b-safe, then the DC asking for time and asking a rule interpretation. KISS.
Where was there an appeal at 3B, live or dead?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

The reality is that if an umpire "improperly" takes a dead ball appeal from a coach, nothing will actually happen. The other team may protest, followed by the defense immediately having the coach tell the player exactly what to say. So even if the protest is upheld, they will just re-do the appeal correctly. It's stupid. Just let the head coach make the appeal.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The reality is that if an umpire "improperly" takes a dead ball appeal from a coach, nothing will actually happen. The other team may protest, followed by the defense immediately having the coach tell the player exactly what to say. So even if the protest is upheld, they will just re-do the appeal correctly. It's stupid. Just let the head coach make the appeal.
So, I'll ask again, where was there an appeal at 3rd, live or dead?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
After the proper dead-ball appeal from an infielder?
Of course, you are correct.