The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Courtesy runner during tie breaker inning

NFHS rules say that in order to be eligible for a courtesy runner F1 or F2 must "earn their way on base". In a tie game with the tie breaker rule being used by state adoption, if F1 or F2 is the player who would be the runner starting the inning at 2B, can she have a courtesy runner?

My take is that since she is being placed there by rule, she is in fact being awarded 2B. If she reaches on any other type of award i.e. walk, hit by pitch, catcher obs we would not think twice about letting her have a courtesy runners.

But there is nothing black and white. Opinions?
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
NFHS rules say that in order to be eligible for a courtesy runner F1 or F2 must "earn their way on base". In a tie game with the tie breaker rule being used by state adoption, if F1 or F2 is the player who would be the runner starting the inning at 2B, can she have a courtesy runner?

My take is that since she is being placed there by rule, she is in fact being awarded 2B. If she reaches on any other type of award i.e. walk, hit by pitch, catcher obs we would not think twice about letting her have a courtesy runners.

But there is nothing black and white. Opinions?
Well, since the tie-breaker is not defined in the rule book, enforcement would have to be determined by the adminstrating organization.

I agree that a CR would be permissible since the player is gaining that position legally.
Old Sun May 27, 2012, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever batter is scheduled 9th to bat in the tie-breaker inning "earns" their way on base by that rule. All players "earn" their way the same way, by being 9th.

There is/was a written interpretation from NFHS Rules Editor MS that if that batter is F1 or F2, that allows a courtesy runner. This was revealed after extensive discussion in the year the rule verbiage was changed, requiring that clarification.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sun May 27, 2012 at 11:32pm.
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
A bit of a tangent, for the first time I remember a coach wanted to return the catcher to running so he could use the CR player for something else.