The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I recently started doing some NSA tourneys and have a question. Rulebook says "the player in the batting order where the last out was recorded or any player not currently in the game may replace" etc., etc. My question deals with the second part of that sentence. "Player not currently in the game" means... a player that has NEVER been in the game (like FED and ASA) or a player who has been in the game but has been subbed for and is now not CURRENTLY in the game? The book doesn't seem to elaborate and I don't have a NSA umpire manual (if there is one). Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Little Jimmy

Go to their website; http://www.playnsa.com/ look under rule book.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I have the hard copy of the NSA rulebook in my hand. It's the wording of the rule that throws me off. Under NSA fastpitch section, rule 4-6-f offers the option of using a player "not currently in the game" as a courtesy runner. That could be interpreted as a sub (or starter) that once was in the game but now has been replaced, therefore not "currently" in the game. The partners I worked with this weekend had different interpretations about who could or couldn't be used as a courtesy runner. I seem to think that a player who has been in the game but now has been subbed for is eligible. At least that's the way I read the rule as it continues. I just want to be right.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Jimmy,
The courtesy runner can be the last player to make an out or a player not currently in the game. Any player who has re-entry still available to them can be used. Remember that the same player may not run twice in the same inning (once for the pitcher and then the catcher).
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Jimmy,
Your interpretation of the player not "currently" in the game is a correct one. If a starter has been replaced with a substitute and that starter still has re-entry rights, that starter who is currently on the bench may be used as a courtesy runner. Remember as well that a courtesy runner can not be used twice in the same inning.