The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive Conference

DC calls time and he AND the pitching coach come to the circle together to talk to entire infield. Do you allow two coaches to come out for the defensive conference? Do you not? Please cite rule. All rule sets, but this came up in ASA. (NYS plays ASA rules for school ball, basically).

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I do not believe there are any rules regarding who can attend a defensive conference, Only that a player/coach wanting time to talk to the pitcher is not a conference.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
DC calls time and he AND the pitching coach come to the circle together to talk to entire infield. Do you allow two coaches to come out for the defensive conference? Do you not? Please cite rule. All rule sets, but this came up in ASA. (NYS plays ASA rules for school ball, basically).
Speaking ASA, why not? Who cares how many coaches come out, play is suspended until they break up their meeting or you direct them to do so.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not a problem under NCAA. The Charged Conference rule (6.11) reads......"to allow one or more team representatives to confer with players."
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I was given an interpretation by a higher up saying that we are to instruct them "one coach only". I couldn't find it in the rule book and wasn't comfortable with the ruling so I needed to know. Who better than you guys to ask?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Not a problem under NCAA. The Charged Conference rule (6.11) reads......"to allow one or more team representatives to confer with players."
And even if a team ran into an umpire who wouldn't allow it, the coach can just call the pitcher to the dugout and have the whole staff talk to her
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm ticked at myself. We had a big playoff game today and several umpires, as usual, at the game watching and the "higher ups" there. One who instructed us to only allow one coach. The two coaches came out and I approached the circle after about 30 seconds and said, "gentlemen, can we have one coach please?" The coach wasn't happy and said something to the effect, "I've got case studies! I am allowed!" I then used some common sense (too late and very dangerous) and said no more. As they walked off the field, I thought that my "request" was NOT based on any rule, but simply on what I was instructed. And I'm ticked that I didn't approach this correctly.

I will make mistakes again, but it will not be that one. Ever.

Old Sat May 26, 2012, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm ticked at myself. We had a big playoff game today and several umpires, as usual, at the game watching and the "higher ups" there. One who instructed us to only allow one coach. The two coaches came out and I approached the circle after about 30 seconds and said, "gentlemen, can we have one coach please?" The coach wasn't happy and said something to the effect, "I've got case studies! I am allowed!"
Case studies? Really? Did the coach have them in his/her pocket or did s/he have to return to the dugout to get them?
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

He did ask me to read them. I thought I left case studies behind in college courses.

And he returned to the dugout with his pitching coach. Yet he never did find those case studies.

Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Recent discussions of charged or not:
1) coach stands at circle with pitcher, talks to her during practice pitches
2) same, except pitcher delays practice pitching during talk
3) pitcher calls time, walks to dugout to converse

What do you say?

p.s. Hugo - I know my answers
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

What do you say?

1) Nada
2) She gets her minute - I don't care what they do with it. if that means 1 pitch, sobeit.
3) Charged.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Instead of asking for a rule which allows this, how bout if you ante up and stae the rule that suggests this should not be allowed?

(edited to add): or upon further reading of the posts, why not explain the situation to begin with.

Also what is the definition of a "higher up" and what organization is this "higher up" speaking for?

;-) (now smiling and winking rather than rolling eyes)

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 12:48pm.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

What do you say?

Message received.

BTW, I remember some message board that had the option for posting as a poll rather than a question..... sounds like you could use that.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will make mistakes again, but it will not be that one. Ever.
well done