The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Slow Pitch Senior Ball - Judging 12'

I have always given the benefit of the doubt on high pitches to the batter. If I think there was a question on legal/illegal at the peak my choice is to always call an illegal pitch. Of course I've got my fellow seniors (who know it all because they are seniors) telling me I don't know what 12' is. Conveniently, most of them are the guys that pitch and push the limits of 12' to 13, 14 and 15'.

The question I have is: What, in your minds (ooh scary thought) do you use to tell you what the limit is? Do you look at the pitcher and double his height? Do you pick something in the background to gauge height? Do you use the brim of your hat and everything that goes above the brim is illegal? What do most of you use?

It might be a silly question but when I tell the guys it's "judgement" their reply is my judgment is off of course. I'd like to have something somewhat definitive to argue my point, if there is anything definitive.

Thanks

Last edited by Linknblue; Mon May 21, 2012 at 08:47pm.
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

it is not to tthe point but the hitters really do not mind the higher pitch because it nis easier for them to hit it.

i do a couple of things. i try to double the height of the pitcher. they are generally around six feet just like me. another thing i do is i look at the back stop as generally there are two horizontal bars one being about six feet high and the next one above it at 12 feet. i stand there and toss the ball to the top and it gives me an idea of how high 12feet is. most pitchers have no idea what 12 is. to them 15 is 12.

for those who have read referre magazine before and i mean before as in 2000ish, merle butler wrote an article about the 12 foot arc. in it he recalled at the last sp national he was at, the uics called the umps in after the first day and told them their 12 feet was way too high. and it has gotten worse since then.
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Our association made a gauge out of plastic tubing with cross pieces sticking out at six feet and ten feet. (ASA slowpitch). During clinics we have someone hold it halfway between pitching plate and home plate and then have pitches thrown while seeing if they stay within the very visible limits. This really helped me bring down my ceiling.
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Take a look at your backstop and sideline fences. Most fencing is sectioned at either 5' or 6' sections for height (and 8' to 10' in length), and most are 2+ sections tall. 'Guesstimate' the height of the pitch based on the bar in the fence section.

Just a little trick I picked up from a SP Elite.