The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This got me thinking. R1 at 2nd. Batter hits a deep high shot to right field. F9 is camped under it when the shortstop collides with R1 who was trying to go halfway. Obstruction. Do you decide immediately or wait to see if the ball is caught? And do you take into account the fact that the runner successfully got exactly where they wanted to go (halfway between 2nd and 3rd?)
Okay, it's obstruction. What's your point? Walk it through.

First part is that you cannot call that runner out between 2nd & 3rd. What would have happened had the instruction not occurred?
Old Fri May 18, 2012, 11:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
This bears repeating. OBS is not meant to be a punitive call, but a corrective one. We are trying to "undo" the effect of the OBS.

Years ago there was in both NFHS baseball and softball an automatic minimum award of the next base.. a true penalty since that was a base that often a base the runner was not going to obtain.
That's still the case in NFHS baseball. All obstruction is delayed dead and there's a minimum award of one advance base. No idea about softball -- I don't work the sport.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

"First part is that you cannot call that runner out between 2nd & 3rd. What would have happened had the instruction not occurred?"

i think the point he is making is how do you determine what would have happened if the obstruction not occured if you have yet to determine if the ball was even caught yet?

"Many umpires have a difficult enough time determining what should happen based on what they are watching, let alone the need to consider a multitude of "what if" scenarios when making a decision".

seems like you have to consider a lot of "what ifs" if you are making a determination of runner protection while the ball is still in the air or yet to be played on

Last edited by umpire12; Sat May 19, 2012 at 07:40am.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
That's still the case in NFHS baseball. All obstruction is delayed dead and there's a minimum award of one advance base. No idea about softball -- I don't work the sport.
Well, maybe it should be more like softball.

In my area, when Fed had the automatic award, many umpires refused to call OBS on any defender dropping a knee to block the base on a pick-off play simply because they did not believe in awarding the runner a base undeserved. Once that was changed to reflect the ASA award, more OBS were called and eventually, the players stopped dropping the knee when it was realized they were no longer going to get the out call, and the bruised leg just wasn't worth it.

Not much different then some umpires ignoring an IP because they don't want to move runners as that is purely a punitive award especially if there is a runner beyond 1B. We can stand around all day and say it isn't so, but it is and anyone who has been around long enough has probably seen this.

Obviously, there are times when a rule or reward may need to be punitive, but it certainly shouldn't be the standard response to an infraction.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

How the hell is anyone going to know what an umpire's original "determination" is? It's in the umpire's head not displayed on the scoreboard.

My original point was this: If the umpire made the immediate determination to protect the runner to 3rd base only and the runner subsequently got thrown out by a hair at the plate, he better award that runner home. I don't care what he thought immediately - obviously he was wrong. Equity says to award the runner home.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Xtreamump

EsqUmp +1
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamump View Post
EsqUmp +1
There's a shock!
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
"First part is that you cannot call that runner out between 2nd & 3rd. What would have happened had the instruction not occurred?"

i think the point he is making is how do you determine what would have happened if the obstruction not occured if you have yet to determine if the ball was even caught yet?
Yes that was my point. The obstruction has already been neutralized by the time the ball is played. And we still have to protect the runner between 2nd and 3rd. But what base are we awarding? Let's say that the ball drops and the runner trips over his own feet and falls to the ground where he's tagged out.
Punitively, we take away the out. But now, we have to decide what base to put the runner on and I'm really not sure quite what to do since absent the obstruction the result of the play would have been an out.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Yes that was my point. The obstruction has already been neutralized by the time the ball is played. And we still have to protect the runner between 2nd and 3rd. But what base are we awarding? Let's say that the ball drops and the runner trips over his own feet and falls to the ground where he's tagged out.
Punitively, we take away the out. But now, we have to decide what base to put the runner on and I'm really not sure quite what to do since absent the obstruction the result of the play would have been an out.
Speaking ASA

Don't overthink it. See the OBS, signal DDB, envision how the play would unfold and "see" the base to which you believe the runner would have advanced has s/he not been obstructed. And, remember, no one is suggesting you be stingy, but do not be unbelieveably excessive.

Say a runner is OBS coming around 1B, you give the DDB and see the ball is still rolling to the fence, but with the fielder about to reach it. In your mind you may be thinking "okay, 2nd is a given, 3rd might be tight, but I doubt she would score". Okay, 3rd it is. That is your protection and award base.

As the runner advances, the defense makes a good relay and it is a close play at 3rd, but the ball gets away from F5 and the runner attempts to score and is thrown out by a step. The runner is out.The runner's ability to advance to the plate was not affected by the OBS.

There is no doubt that this "sight" is improved with experience and understanding of the level of competition. Like I said, no one is suggesting you be stingy, just fair without being absurd.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so to mbcrowder guy,,as per the irish guy,,,would you agrre now that that subsequent action could be relevent after all?
I made no such statement.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

lol!!,,youre quick on your feet......give it up guy...the Esq Ump got ya..
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
lol!!,,youre quick on your feet......give it up guy...the Esq Ump got ya..
Who? And nice diversion. Do you really think mike is as dumb as you think he is? GFL with that.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

lol..good try ,,but im addressing you irish guy..you've fallen short again. in my opinion...the Esq Ump has once again made a valid point and a very valid assesment as the way this should be handled.....and as far as the GFL goes...im a little disappointed in that..theres no need to curse or even allude to it...lets keep a mature conversation going...please

Last edited by umpire12; Sat May 19, 2012 at 04:23pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
lol..good try ,,but im addressing you irish guy..you've fallen short again. in my opinion...the Esq Ump has once again made a valid point and a very valid assesment as the way this should be handled....
Still, no idea what you are talking about. I simply noted the manner in which the association for which I umpire has directed. I don't make it up as I go along or create my own mechanics.

Quote:
and as far as the GFL goes...im a little disappointed in that..theres no need to curse or even allude to it...lets keep a mature conversation going...please
Don't feel disappointed, grow up. A word or letter is just that, a word or a letter. Those who are fool enough to believe there is some special power to a word or letter should be reminded, it is they who are applying such a meaning and are the ones who are a slave to that weakness. Personally, don't believe such a thing as profanity or "cursing" exists. Almost feel sorry for those who do.

Offense is a self-inflicted wound.
Old Sat May 19, 2012, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

ill ignore your infantile philosophy and direct you back to the last post from the Esq Ump guy. perhaps then you will know what im talking about..his position is direct , clear and makes much more sense than yours