The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Another high school question

If you want to intentionaling walk a batter do you have to pitch to her or just tell umpire that you want to walk her? Does it make a difference is the bases or loaded and lets say there is a stud batter up?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffandgolf View Post
If you want to intentionaling walk a batter do you have to pitch to her or just tell umpire that you want to walk her? Does it make a difference is the bases or loaded and lets say there is a stud batter up?
NFHS SB requires four balls for a base on balls (Intentional or not)
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

To add to this, a couple of years ago there was a post about a coach who tried to use the 20 second violation 4 times to intentionally walk the batter. The pitches must be delivered to the batter legally. They cannot purposely roll the ball on the ground, hold it for 20 seconds 4 times, etc.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Had a HS game this year about 4 weeks ago where the team was mediocre except for 1 superstar catcher. They walked her with runners on 1st and 2nd the first time. 2nd time up the pitcher got just a bit too close and the batter roped it over the right field fence. 4th time up, she golfed one that bounced past the outfielders.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
To add to this, a couple of years ago there was a post about a coach who tried to use the 20 second violation 4 times to intentionally walk the batter. The pitches must be delivered to the batter legally. They cannot purposely roll the ball on the ground, hold it for 20 seconds 4 times, etc.
what is the violation if they purposely roll it ?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
what is the violation if they purposely roll it ?
If in your judgement the pitcher purposely rolled or bounced the ball to the batter, it is an illegal pitch. If they try and do it more than once, call it a no pitch, issue a warning to the pitcher and head coach. If they do it again, eject pitcher and head coach. Same thing if they try to do the 20 second time limit more than once.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
If in your judgement the pitcher purposely rolled or bounced the ball to the batter, it is an illegal pitch. If they try and do it more than once, call it a no pitch, issue a warning to the pitcher and head coach. If they do it again, eject pitcher and head coach. Same thing if they try to do the 20 second time limit more than once.
well, i do not have my nfhs case book with me as it is in the car and thw wife has the car. so i agee with the general outline and would warn on the first pitch and eject on the second. i do not remember what whether they ruled an immeditre deadball or illegal pitch on the first pitch. the case play is under pitcing infactions if someone is bored and looking for something to do.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
well, i do not have my nfhs case book with me as it is in the car and thw wife has the car. so i agee with the general outline and would warn on the first pitch and eject on the second. i do not remember what whether they ruled an immeditre deadball or illegal pitch on the first pitch. the case play is under pitcing infactions if someone is bored and looking for something to do.
6.3.2 SITUATION A: (F.P.) In an effort to deliberately walk a batter without having to throw a pitch (a) F1 intentionally violates the 20-second rule by not delivering a pitch, or (b) F2 does not return the ball directly to F1 , but instead throws the ball to another fielder.
RULING: The spirit of the rules is being violated in (a) and (b) The umpire shall warn the coach of the defensive team and if the act is repeated, the violator shall be ejected. Whether or not runners are on base, a ball shall be awarded the batter. (3-6-13c, 6-2-3)
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
6.3.2 SITUATION A: (F.P.) In an effort to deliberately walk a batter without having to throw a pitch (a) F1 intentionally violates the 20-second rule by not delivering a pitch, or (b) F2 does not return the ball directly to F1 , but instead throws the ball to another fielder.
RULING: The spirit of the rules is being violated in (a) and (b) The umpire shall warn the coach of the defensive team and if the act is repeated, the violator shall be ejected. Whether or not runners are on base, a ball shall be awarded the batter. (3-6-13c, 6-2-3)
thanks, ron
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Had a HS game this year about 4 weeks ago where the team was mediocre except for 1 superstar catcher. They walked her with runners on 1st and 2nd the first time. 2nd time up the pitcher got just a bit too close and the batter roped it over the right field fence. 4th time up, she golfed one that bounced past the outfielders.
In the playoffs now in Tx.......coaches need to be careful......

Back in about 1992 or so......in a playoff game I was the BU....... LaMarque pitcher caused an illegal pitch on an attempted intentional walk that put the tying run home.........

They still wound up winning the game......they may have won State that year too.....I cannot remember....I think they did......

One of the girls on that team I do remember wound up playing for LSU and coached locally here.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 03:19am.