The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Got in an argument with a ref today in my work league, which goes by High School Rules about the following simple play:

I was inbounding the ball underneath my own basket after the other team turned the ball over. I threw the ball to my teamamte who was on our side, but the ball got past him and went into the opposing teams side of the court. My teammate did not touch the ball until it was on the other side. Is this over and back?

Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I did argue for a while, but the referee insisted I was wrong, he was right. It was frustrating because I knew I've seen this before. I need to get my hands on a Missouri High School rulebook.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by evrclear02
Got in an argument with a ref today in my work league, which goes by High School Rules about the following simple play:

I was inbounding the ball underneath my own basket after the other team turned the ball over. I threw the ball to my teamamte who was on our side, but the ball got past him and went into the opposing teams side of the court. My teammate did not touch the ball until it was on the other side. Is this over and back?

Thanks.
evrclear02,
Welcome to the forum.

If after your throw-in ended and none of your teammates had held or dribbled (controlled) the ball in your front court (like you said), then there was no team control in the front court and, thus, no back court violation.

Did it do any good *arguing* with the ref?
mick
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether your teammate touched the ball or not. This is NOT a BC violation.

BTW, there's no such thing as a Missouri High School Rule Book. All states play by the NFHS Rule Book.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Although this is an easy call, it is amazing how many officials miss this one. I've worked two games this year where my partner got it wrong. Both times I tactfully explained the rule to him and showed him the case book where this situation was covered.

Is this an incident that would warrant over-ruling your partner? Is this something that should be brought up during the pre-game?

Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
In NFHS rules there is no such thing as over-ruling your partner. All officials are equal. In this situation, if you feel that your partner has made an error, you should approach him quietly and out of earshot of everyone else and explain exactly what you saw. It is then up to him to decide if he should change his call based on the information which you provided him.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

You can't OVERRULE your partner.

You go to him, tell him what you saw and let him make the change if he decides to.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you both for correcting me. I agree that "over-rule" was not the proper wording. Let me rephrase the question: Would this be a situation in which you would go and speak to your partner and explain the rule to him, or would you wait until a time-out?

Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Access to Rule

Is there anywhere online I can access this rule in the HS Rule Book or is this something anyone can copy and paste to me? I would love to print this out and show it to him next weekend.

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 07:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Re: Access to Rule

Quote:
Is there anywhere online I can access this rule in the HS Rule Book or is this something anyone can copy and paste to me? I would love to print this out and show it to him next weekend.

Thanks
The NF's copyright attorneys will be glad to copy and paste a rulebook and send it to you. You can contact them at 1-800-PLAGIARIZE.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have to be a smart guy buddy...just asking for some help.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 9 BACKCOURT
A player shall notÂ…
ART. 1 . . . Be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
ART. 2 . . . While in team control in its backcourt, cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, and be the first to touch it in the backcourt.

Furthermore:
ART. 3 . . . A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.
PENALTY: (Section 9) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the response, although I'm still trying to interpret the rule in the context of my scenario.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Don't have to be a smart guy buddy...just asking for some help.
Don't take it personally. Mark only insults people he likes a lot.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I should clarify myself...When I say "my own basket" I mean the basket my team is shooting at.