The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio State @ Purdue

Did anyone else see this situation in the bottom of the fifth inning today? Rundown between third base and home. F5 throws to F2. Runner from third swipes at the ball with her hand and intentionally interferes with the throw. At the time of interference, the trail runner was between second base and third base. Interfering runner was called out, but the trail runner was allowed to stay at third base. Is the NCAA rule different from NFHS? I only work high school ball.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
Did anyone else see this situation in the bottom of the fifth inning today? Rundown between third base and home. F5 throws to F2. Runner from third swipes at the ball with her hand and intentionally interferes with the throw. At the time of interference, the trail runner was between second base and third base. Interfering runner was called out, but the trail runner was allowed to stay at third base. Is the NCAA rule different from NFHS? I only work high school ball.
NCAA Rule 12.19: Runners return to the base held at the time of the interference unless forced to advance by the batter becoming a batter-runner.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
In the sitch, runners.....how many were on and at what bases at the start of the play?
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game and really scratching my head as to why the runner was allowed to advance to third instead of returned to second. A lengthy discussion ensued with the coaches, but they still left the runner on third. The announcers seemed pretty clueless as to what was going on (imagine that).

This was an odd play all the way around. Runners on first and third. R2 steals second. F2 throws down to second. F4 cuts right in front of the bag and prevents the ball from getting to second base.

R1 starts for home, then sees the cut off and starts heading back to third. F4 throws to F5. R1 heads back toward home. F5 throws to F2.

R1 is pretty much a dead duck at the plate. As the ball passes near her, she turns, reaches up over her head and blatantly swats the ball, knocking it out of F2's reach. This was probably the most egregious case of a runner interfering with a thrown ball that I've ever seen.

The plate umpire at no point seemed to call or signal a dead ball. R1 casually strolled across the plate while the ball was kicking around by the backstop. The plate umpire casually pointed at the runner and signalled an out.

The replay showed that R2 was essentially standing at second base when the interference occured- actually just a step or two off it toward third as she recognized that the throw was going home and she might be able to advance. She continued on to third- and that's where she stayed at the end of the play.

You would think that U3, starting on the line and being right at third watching the play would have noticed that R2 was about 55 feet from third when the interference happened! I would love to hear their explanation for this one. I can't think of one other than they just flat out blew it.

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 08:22am.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
The plate umpire at no point seemed to call or signal a dead ball. R1 casually strolled across the plate while the ball was kicking around by the backstop. The plate umpire casually pointed at the runner and signalled an out.
Maybe there is a new NCAA mechanic that tells umpires not to signal DB when it is obvious that it should be. If you remember, this was also an issue in the crash at home in the TN game last week.

Quote:
You would think that U3, starting on the line and being right at third watching the play would have noticed that R2 was about 55 feet from third when the interference happened! I would love to hear their explanation for this one. I can't think of one other than they just flat out blew it.
Maybe that was the problem, no one checked out R2 and then all of a sudden when they realize there was another runner, she is standing on 3B. That would not be good, but at least it would explain why she was still on 3B.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I was watching the game and really scratching my head as to why the runner was allowed to advance to third instead of returned to second. A lengthy discussion ensued with the coaches, but they still left the runner on third. The announcers seemed pretty clueless as to what was going on (imagine that).

This was an odd play all the way around. Runners on first and third. R2 steals second. F2 throws down to second. F4 cuts right in front of the bag and prevents the ball from getting to second base.

R1 starts for home, then sees the cut off and starts heading back to third. F4 throws to F5. R1 heads back toward home. F5 throws to F2.

R1 is pretty much a dead duck at the plate. As the ball passes near her, she turns, reaches up over her head and blatantly swats the ball, knocking it out of F2's reach. This was probably the most egregious case of a runner interfering with a thrown ball that I've ever seen.

The replay showed that R2 was essentially standing at second base when the interference occured- actually just a step or two off it toward third as she recognized that the throw was going home and she might be able to advance. She continued on to third- and that's where she stayed at the end of the play.

Not having seen any video of the play, but after reading your post which (per usual) provides a clear, concise, sequential, recap of the play as you saw it on TV; it appears that yes, the crew did kick this one.

Irish makes a good point on the absence of a dead ball signal (as required per the Manual) by the PU when R1 swatted the throw from F5 to F2.

My two cents.... while not looking to take U3 off the hook here; my question is what's U2 doing as this play is unfolding? He has two responsibilities at the point in the play the R1 interfered with the throw, the BR and R2 who was 5 feet off 2nd base.

As I've heard/read time and time again.....
"Call in your area, see all areas."
"There's always a job to do."
"First this then that."
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Maybe there is a new NCAA mechanic that tells umpires not to signal DB when it is obvious that it should be. If you remember, this was also an issue in the crash at home in the TN game last week.
I'm assuming you are making this comment in jest. Clearly, there is no such elimination in the signaling of a dead ball, even in obvious situations.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
(snip)
My two cents.... while not looking to take U3 off the hook here; my question is what's U2 doing as this play is unfolding? He has two responsibilities at the point in the play the R1 interfered with the throw, the BR and R2 who was 5 feet off 2nd base.

(Snip)

Besides that..... there wasn't even a BR!!!
Quote:
Runners on first and third. R2 steals second.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 08:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I'm assuming you are making this comment in jest. Clearly, there is no such elimination in the signaling of a dead ball, even in obvious situations.
I think that is in reference to the Tenn./Auburn crash thread where the point was made that signaling the ejection should not be required and/or necessary in that situation.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I think that is in reference to the Tenn./Auburn crash thread where the point was made that signaling the ejection should not be required and/or necessary in that situation.
...just playing along...