View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game and really scratching my head as to why the runner was allowed to advance to third instead of returned to second. A lengthy discussion ensued with the coaches, but they still left the runner on third. The announcers seemed pretty clueless as to what was going on (imagine that).

This was an odd play all the way around. Runners on first and third. R2 steals second. F2 throws down to second. F4 cuts right in front of the bag and prevents the ball from getting to second base.

R1 starts for home, then sees the cut off and starts heading back to third. F4 throws to F5. R1 heads back toward home. F5 throws to F2.

R1 is pretty much a dead duck at the plate. As the ball passes near her, she turns, reaches up over her head and blatantly swats the ball, knocking it out of F2's reach. This was probably the most egregious case of a runner interfering with a thrown ball that I've ever seen.

The plate umpire at no point seemed to call or signal a dead ball. R1 casually strolled across the plate while the ball was kicking around by the backstop. The plate umpire casually pointed at the runner and signalled an out.

The replay showed that R2 was essentially standing at second base when the interference occured- actually just a step or two off it toward third as she recognized that the throw was going home and she might be able to advance. She continued on to third- and that's where she stayed at the end of the play.

You would think that U3, starting on the line and being right at third watching the play would have noticed that R2 was about 55 feet from third when the interference happened! I would love to hear their explanation for this one. I can't think of one other than they just flat out blew it.

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 08:22am.